Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Itchy ear yeast infection in pregnant mom

I have a pregnant girl who gets itchy, yeasty ears this time of year. Usually, only eardrops with a steroid will clear her up, but can't do that because she's pregnant. Anyone have experience with a treatment that works on both the itch and the yeast that are safe for a pregnant dog? I have tried Gold Bond with no success.

Re: Itchy ear yeast infection in pregnant mom

Zymox (without hydrocortisone)

I would suggest Liquid Health K-9 Ear Solutions as it does not contain steroids. The gentian violet and colloidal silver should be effective if you follow directions. Just stick "Liquid Health K-9 Ear Solutions" into google and it will tell you where to buy it.
Good Luck.

I have had at times when my pregnant bitches have had ear infections or a gucky ear on one side when in whelp . I have had to use safer for pregnant products during that time .
If I recall my holistic supplier told me to use the collodial silver she has on my pregnant girl in the ear .This product is a natural antibiotic with many uses . It can beused topically and orally .It can be sprayed on a sore area on a paw or in the ear or the eye . I have used it for 3 years now. I will give it orally to a dog if I see there is an ear infection starting or if there is a cyst on a paw .I will also apply it directly to the area of the paw thats affected 3 times a ay .I use a clean syringe and massage it into the foot . The ear I use the mister she sold me and do it 3 times a day and also wipe out the ear of guck with it .
I honestly would need to have you email this supplier and double check on use with a pregnant female. I think you are fine .
http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/colloidal_silver.html
This gal is real helpful and she also has some holistic ear oils. but check with her as to what is safe to use .
Now another product that I use when im not nursing puppies and when the female is not in whelp is doing a great job for me . This prevents you from going the route of using cephlexin antibiotics theropy.
So dont use with a pregnant dog and no nursing moms. This product makes the ear alkaline and is an antifungal product .You can buy their rinse or their flush . My vet told me about it so I got a bottle from her at first. Now I just buy it on line at amazon.com . T8 Keto Flush 12 oz / and T8 solution ear rinse 12 oz. Use two times a day massage in the ear and do it for 10 days then if cleared up back off to 1-2 times weekly. Ive been pleased.And it doesnt seem to sting. I would not use it on pregnant or nursing animals. Unless you call the manufacturer first to find out .
I just bought more this week. I hope this is helpful.
sue