Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
OFA AGAIN

Are you suggesting an orthopedic vet over regular? And digital over regular? And what will you do if OFA doesn't give you the positive you expect? Three tough questions--sorry.

Re: OFA AGAIN

An orthopedic should be capable of taking good films, but a lot of experienced general practicioners can get the job done too. The main thing is that you find someone with a good reputation for taking OFA films.
Also, if you don't get the result you want, don't be afraid to try again. I have, and with good second results.

Type of film is less important than the correct positioning. Like Real Estate which is all about Location, Location, Location....OFA is all about Positioning, Positioning, Positioning.
It is difficult to make bad hips look good, but it sure is easy to make good hips look bad through poor positioning.
Find someone who does OFA x-rays frequently and often. Ask for recommendations, and let them know you are aware of how important correct positioning is and you will be asking for a "Do Over" if they do not do a good positioning job.
Good Luck.

And that's why I am loosing faith in OFA, you can redo them and keep sending them in till you get a pass

Believe me, a truly BAD set of hips will NEVER pass.

But what about elbows? I'm wondering if by doing digital x-rays, we are giving OFA too much info. There seems to be a lot of dogs not passing elbows lately, or maybe it's just the people around me that it's happening to. And yea, what about all of this sending in a second time and passing? Makes me not trust the OFA very much.

Do you think OFA is hard up for money and by flunking dogs and knowing that breeders will redo x-rays,they make more money?

Either that or the radiologists who are reading our x-rays really stink!

I would like OFA to supply data on what percentage of dogs who do not get certified, do get certified on subsequent submissions of x-rays.

I am having a dog x-rayed for finals in a week and am scared to death...doesn't matter that the dog has not shown a bit of lameness since he was born.

Please remember that hip and elbow evals are two totally different things. Elbows can fail and there may be nothing structurally wrong with the elbow itself. Maybe the dog was injured, maybe the dog was overweight and/or has straight shoulders causing too much pressure on the elbows. I still have confidence in the OFA hip evaluations but do question some elbow results I have seen. But just like with people, you should always get a second opinion for important medically related decisions. My preference in this case is to use another nationally recognized organization such as OVC.

Would you re-do a 2yr old male 3 months after the OFA graded him at Mild HD or would you wait longer than 3 months to re-do?

I would wait six...every 6 months they change the vets who read the x-rays I would try again for sure...