Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Tail carriage

I have a 10 weeks old puppy that carries it's tail over the back when he is in a dominant attitude. Tail set is good, and when he moves the tail is lined up with the top line properly or a little higher on a 30-40 degree angle. It looks like if the second 1/2 of the tail just has no tone, and curls over.
He comes from well known lines, and both parents have beautiful otter tails.
Is this something that will go away or will it be problem when he is in the ring with other males?

TIA

Re: Tail carriage

In my experience, no they don't come down, especially in a male.

Wait. If mom and dad have good tail carriage I'd wait it out. Ten weeks is very early to make a decision on an otherwise good puppy.

Do you know if any of the grandparents have gay tails? I brought it into the line that way - had no idea that one of the grandfathers had a high tail carriage. It doesn't sound to me like it would end up being the perfect tail.

IMO, if it is curled up or bent in any way, no, it won't get better.
If it is straight and just up, yes, it may.

If the tail were just sticking straight up I wouldn't worry but curled over the back I dunno.... I've had great sucess with the ones that stick straight up being very nice tailsets when they get older but haven't had any curl over the back. If you really like this boy though might be worth it to hang on to him for 6 months and see if it corrects.
Aloha,
Jackie

Thanks, I think I'll wait.