Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Kirkland

Those who feed Kirkland, how much are you paying and how big is the bag? If someone has the time, I'd love to know the first few ingredients too. Thank you.

Re: Kirkland

A good friend swore by the Kirkland Lamb and Rice formula for years, was glad that it was not recalled, etc. However, in last couple years, something changed, coats went off and she couldn't get her girls pregnant. So she switched back to Eukanuba Sporting, and finally got a litter and better coats.

I don't use Euk any more, preferring the more natural foods, but that is the story.

We've been feeding Kirkland for well over a year; think we pay around $25 for a 40 lb bag. We use the chicken formula. We keep it in covered bins, so I can't get the ingredients; also tried looking on Costco's site, but it's not there.

Edited: Got this off another site:

For Adult Dogs.
Available in two sizes:
4 lb bag: Add To Basket

40 lb bag: Add To Basket

Made with Fresh Chicken!
Natural Ingredients with Vitamins & Minerals
Omega Fatty Acid Balance for Skin & Coat Health
Joint Management NutritionTM
Contains Glucosamine and Chondroitin
Enriched w/ Antioxidants Vit. E, Selenium & Zinc
Crunchy Kibble Cleans Teeth & Reduces Plaque
View Larger Image
Kirkland Signature Super Premium Adult Dog Chicken, Rice & Vegetable Formula is designed to meet all of the nutritioinal needs of your special pet. Fresh, never-frozen chicken and egg make an ideal protein blend. Plus, whole grain brown rice, the number 1 carbohydrate ingredient in our Kirkland Signature Super Premium Adult Dog Chicken, Rice & Vegetable Formula, is a highly digestible carbohydrate source. This fresh chicken formula is enriched with garden vegetables, fruits and herbs.

Kirkland Signature Super Premium Adult Dog Chicken, Rice & Vegetable Formula is complete and balanced for all life stages, using select ingredients for consistency, wholesomeness and optimal nutrition. Our select ingredients are chosen for their roles in exceptional digestion and superior nutritional health.

Ideal Protein Sources -- Fresh, never-frozen chicken is the number 1 ingredient for great flavor. Chicken and egg provide highly digestible protein for your dog.
Antioxidant Nutrition for Life-Long Health -- Guaranteed vitamin E, selenium and zinc provide your dog with ideal antioxidant nutrition.
Controlled Omega Balance -- Omega fatty acid balance helps your dog maintain a shiny, healthy coat and a strong immune system.
Carbohydrate Blend for Optimal Health -- Multiple grains*, vegetables and fruits provide an ideal blend of carbohydrates.
Contains Natural Fiber -- Dried chicory root is a fermentable fiber source that helps maintain gastrointestinal health.
Joint Management NutritionTM -- Glucosamine and chondroitin are added to help support the health of your adult dog's joints.
Small Kibble size is optimized for dogs of all sizes -- Easy to pick up and chew, the crunchy kibble will help keep teeth clean and reduce plaque.
*No corn, no wheat.

Ingredients:
Chicken, chicken meal, whole grain brown rice, cracked pearled barley, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and Vitamin E), egg product, beet pulp, potatoes, fish meal, flaxseed, natural flavor, brewers dried yeast, millet, potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, carrots, peas, kelp, apples, dried skim milk, cranberry powder, rosemary extract, parsley flake, dried chicory root, glucosamine hydrochloride, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, chondroitin sulfate, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein
Crude Fat
Crude Fiber
Moisture
Calcium
Phosphorus
Zinc
Selenium
Vitamin E
Omega-6 Fatty Acids
Omega-3 Fatty Acids
Glucosamine Hydrochloride
Chondroitin Sulfate
26.0% minimum
16.0% minimum
4.0% maximum
10.0% maximum
1.0% minimum
0.8% minimum
200 mg/kg minimum
0.4 mg/kg minimum
150 IU/kg minimum
2.5% minimum*
0.4% minimum*
300 mg/kg minimum*
100 mg/kg minimum*

*Not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient profile.

Calorie Content: 3,754 kcal/kg (393 kcal/cup) Calculated Metabolizable Energy.

AAFCO Statement
Animal feeding tests using Association of American Feed Control Officials procedures substantiate that Kirkland Signature Super Premium Adult Dog Chicken, Rice & Vegetable Formula provides complete and balanced nutrition for all life stages.

$21.99 per 40# bag at the Costco in Brighton, Michigan

That's for the Chicken & Rice. I think the Lamb is $2 more.

Mike

In addition to no corn or wheat, no gluten, no by-products or soy.

Here in ON, Canada, it's gone WAY up in the last few years, was 18.99 or so for chicken, slightly higher for Lamb, is now $29.99 for both. (Cdn dollars)

Still my choice, I love it, mine have been on it maybe 4 years now, but coats/weights are good, no other issues either. Stickin' with it!

Breeder in NJ
A good friend swore by the Kirkland Lamb and Rice formula for years, was glad that it was not recalled, etc. However, in last couple years, something changed, coats went off and she couldn't get her girls pregnant. So she switched back to Eukanuba Sporting, and finally got a litter and better coats.

I don't use Euk any more, preferring the more natural foods, but that is the story.

I have read more than once that people are speculating that flaxseed can cause infertility. In humans too. Kirkland has Flaxseed. Wonder if the Eukanuba Sport does?

In BC it is now $32.99 but I remember about year ago or so it was only $21.99. That's a pretty hefty jump.

"We keep it in covered bins, so I can't get the ingredients"

FYI: Its a good idea to save the empty bag until you are ready to open a new bag. If something were wrong with the food or there was a recall you would need the lot number off the bag and possibly the expiration date.

Good idea, I never thought of that. Thanks for the tip

I am super happy with Kirklan C & R at $22.99 per 40 # bag. It use to be $14.99 1 year ago. It's still worth what we pay.

It is 23.95 here in the Pacific Northwest for 40 pounds of C & R. I have only used it for 3 months now but so far, I am pleased. I switched when I had trouble with the silly shredded blend which was quite a bit more $$ and caused one of my girls to have major anal gland trouble.

I never thought about saving the bags in case of a problem but that is a good idea.

My dogs have been feed Kirkland for at least 6yrs and they have great coats and their "poop" firm. We pay $23 for 40lb of C&R at Costco. (west coast) Love it

I would just add that although it's clearly went way up in price, prior to that it was almost unrealistically low and additionally, a food purchased elsewhere with equivalent ingredients (and without some of those things that we are glad it doesn't have), would be FAR, FAR more money. Despite its price hike, its still a good price.

I used to feed Kirland for years when it was $18.00 per bag. In B.C. it is now $33 per bag.
At first the food was fine for the dogs, after a while the poops were gross and huge. My dogs were starving all the time. Ears were always gunky and infected. I was always finding mystery kibble in the bag also. I also tried Purina Pro Plan chicken and rice for a year; same problem. Last fall I switched everyone over to Summit Holistic Canadian Chicken formula. The puppies get the Three meat puppy food. I love it and so do the dogs. I don't have to feed near as much and the poops are formed and small. And no more ear problems!
The Adult 33 bag sells for $47 and the puppy is $33. To me it is worth every penny, no coupons or breeder bucks but the dogs are healthy.