Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
cover of Forbes magazine

I just read the cover article in the April 13 edition of the Forbes magazine about the Wildrose Kennel in Miss. This is a million dollar/year business!! The training concepts look interesting, the breeding calendar looks scary. The article talks about the dogs being from English field lines. Does anyone know this kennel?

Re: cover of Forbes magazine

Good example why British/American is not the correct terminology. They call their Field dogs British

cover of Forbes magazine

I was told that they use shock collars for training

This is supposed to be unusual? Most field trainers use ecollars, which are humane if properly employed. How else can you give a correction in a timely manner to a dog that is working 200 yards away from you?

Nothing is wrong with using an ecollar as long as the person is trained to do so.

And in regards to him calling his dogs British, that's true too. He's buying lines from the UK that are purely hunting labs. So there.

Even though, some of their dogs are from the UK, they are not British Type as know for the general public and breeders in the US

Then maybe the common usage of "British" is not only common, but incorrect.

They are british dogs, he's buying them in Brittain. I find less problems with that then the stupid nomenclature that says if the dog can be shown and is blocky, it's English and if it's lean and fieldy, it's American.

That's why I prefer show and field terms. Because unless you are importing your show dog, most likely it's ancestors in the last 3-5 generations are AMERICAN BRED labs.

He's importing British hunting dogs.

I have heard conflicting reports as to whether or not they are doing clearances on their dogs. I also thought I should get out of conformation and get involved with field training, lol! They do know how to market what they are doing.

cover of Forbes magazine

Below is a quote from a March 28 posting - similiar thread re: Forbes Mag (must be a March issue?)

When I saw this thread I remembered this posting in particular! I thought this was a very good post so I am quoting it. When I checked their website at the time they do not do all clearances....

Anon for this....
This is my first time posting on this forum without using my real name.
I questioned Mr. Stewart's not having clearances on his breeding stock on a public forum about 3-4 years ago. At that time, none were listed on OFA. He called me long distance on the phone! (My number was listed on my website.) He asked me if I knew about British clearances and if I knew about their grading scale. I responded that I did and that I didn't see any of those scores posted either.
After that, it was all about me attacking his business and why would I want to ruin someone's livelihood. I told him I would tell any lab breeder the same thing--you should have clearances on all of your breeding stock. If you check OFA, there are still alot of his breeding dogs that don't have OFA clearances and there are no PRA clearances listed at all...
I just thought it very odd that daddy warbucks would waste his time calling a little ol' hobby breeder on the phone. He sure didn't want me stirring the pot about those clearances...
He is definitely not interested in improving the breed...only about cranking out those puppies and bringing in the dollars.
He does not participate in any AKC or UKC events. He conducts his own English hunting competition once a year.

I was told that they use shock collars for training

Yeah, and???

cover of Forbes magazine

Boring ....
this is an old news re: Forbes guy....
They don't do all tests...no Optigen.....
some of their small dogs are 48# seems very underweight but that's how they keep field dogs in general very skinny ....
... good for him if he can make a million dollars a year....a month... whatever... not my kind of dogs....