Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What kind of slip leads do you use to show labs on?

What kind of slip leads do you use to show labs on?

I am showing some labs this month for a friend.

Re: What kind of slip leads do you use to show labs on?

Our most popular show lead for labs is our 6 foot 6mm slip lead which is available in 23 colors.
You will find us in the featured link in the Wiscoy web page.
Our web page is:
www.alvalley.com

Alfredo Vallejo
Alvalley

Good luck with the Labs!

I would NOT recommend a "British style" lead on a dog you are not completely comfortable with and can predict on all points because they can slip out easily.

I also do NOT recommend a "martingale" style collar on a Lab. Just not enough control.

For starting, I like a matching flat,threaded, nylon sliding collar and the leash with a snap on it....easiest to control in my opinion. Also, cost effective. These can be purchased at shows and in many pet magazines. I recommend the leash and collar should be the color of the dog, keeps distraction down, especially for all breed shows. The collar should not be too large and it should not be tight either.

It might be good to go to a handler or groomer or breeder to look at several leads and collars and find what fits comfortably for you and the dog(s).

Hope that helps

I use a nylon corded lead and thin choke chain for AB shows (unless it's a puppy, then matching nylon collar).
My leads always closely match the dog if at all possible.

For Specialties it's a whole 'nother ball game
Us Lab people sort of go "all out" for specialties with the leads.
I have been seen with pink, purple or blue slip leads on my dogs
I buy my show slip leads from Weathertop for the most part. They have just the right amount of stiffness to allow an easy flick to bring them down around the shoulders in a loop. But still flexible enough to bunch up in your hand and hide.
I do own a leather AlValley lead I purchased at Potomac this year. My only complaint is not with the quality, it's with the dye. It turns my hands black as well as my yellow dog. I had put it on not to show but to go from ring to van. Left a big black mark all the way around his neck!!

At Potomac I had one of our customers come with a black braided slip leash that the color was coming off but after having put some conditioner on the leash.
Since I was not sure why was the cause gave that person a new one with out any questions.
I would appreciate if Xhibitor would contact me and I would replace her braided leash to find out what has happened to hers.
My e-mail is: alvalley@hotmail.com

Alfredo Vallejo
Alvalley

I purchased an Alvalley Braided leather lead at the LRCSC show From Gail Shearer. LOVE IT!!! I bought the Natural color and it is soft, very comfrtable in hand. I used it right away.

Purchase what you're the most comfortable with. You might want to try 2 different leads to see which is best for you and your dogs.

I bought 4 nylon show leads from the Alvalley booth at Potomac. 2 were the type that Alfredo mentioned and 2 others are thinner with stops and are in beautiful colors. I'm impressed with the quality & prices. I felt like a kid in a candy store, there was a good selection but more on the website.

I am pleased with my leads & tried all 4 already. Next, I want to buy a beautiful, braided leather and a Martingale nylon.

Happy Shopping!

Xhibitor
I use a nylon corded lead and thin choke chain for AB shows (unless it's a puppy, then matching nylon collar).
My leads always closely match the dog if at all possible.

For Specialties it's a whole 'nother ball game
Us Lab people sort of go "all out" for specialties with the leads.
I have been seen with pink, purple or blue slip leads on my dogs
I buy my show slip leads from Weathertop for the most part. They have just the right amount of stiffness to allow an easy flick to bring them down around the shoulders in a loop. But still flexible enough to bunch up in your hand and hide.
I do own a leather AlValley lead I purchased at Potomac this year. My only complaint is not with the quality, it's with the dye. It turns my hands black as well as my yellow dog. I had put it on not to show but to go from ring to van. Left a big black mark all the way around his neck!!

I've tried both. I don't like that charm on the Weathertop leads. I haven't been happy with them in hand also.

See, we all have different preferences. The OP needs to find which type is best for their needs.

The charm can be annoying until you get the hang of where to put it that it doesn't bother your hand.
I have the routine down and the charm goes on the outside of my index finger where I put the loop, rest of the leash wraps up nice in my palm.
I get so many compliments on my weathertop leads just because of that charm. People all want one when they see it at the vets or just around!

Xhibitor

I've tried both. I don't like that charm on the Weathertop leads. I haven't been happy with them in hand also.

Can't you just remove the charm? Take a pair of pliers and bend the ring it's attached with--I imagine it will come right off--and then you can use the charm for something else if you'd like.

Allvaley's are pretty nice and can do the work

I love the Weathertop leashes. But, maybe it is a guy thing, I do not like the charms. My kids love them though. I pop them off with pliers and give them to the kids. Disclaimer.....My kids are old enough not to put them in their mouths.

Buy what suits your needs
Xhibitor

Can't you just remove the charm? Take a pair of pliers and bend the ring it's attached with--I imagine it will come right off--and then you can use the charm for something else if you'd like.

Why would I want to buy a lead with a charm I need to use pliers on? I did that and what a pain. I don't find it comfortable in hand either.

We each need a lead that suits our needs, likes and dislikes. I prefer the Alvalley leads with my current dogs. I'm comfortable & so are they.

Do many of you use a collar and snap lead? I tried it once, I think I will again although I usually prefer a slip lead.