Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Are there ever older show dogs available?

I'm on the hunt for a dog that is a bit seasoned. I don't want a puppy---I just don't have the experiene for a puppy in the ring. I want a dog that knows it a bit, has been there done that, do people ever sell these types of dogs? All the adult dogs I see for sale are always either retired from breeding and showing, or for some reason are pet quality.

Re: Are there ever older show dogs available?

this thread will be allowed to keep going based on the merit of the question asked. If there is even a hint of someone trying to sell this person a dog, the entire thread will be deleted.

-Jill

I have never bought an older dog. But I would say yes, they are sometimes available - but it depends what you are looking for. You will not get the breeder's best - but if you are honest and tell them what you (and I will put this in my words) "a starter dog", you just might get one. Do not expect to pay less than a puppy - they have ran on them and have much more invested. You might also expect the dog to come with a co-ownership and terms.

Every case is different - but they are out there.

FWIW
Valerie - Bibsmom

Yes, show quality dogs are available of all ages in all parts of the world from top long time breeders to successful upcomers.

I think it is more difficult to find a "show dog" if you do not have a history in the breed, have connections, etc......AND it is usually seemingly cost prohibitive. In my opinion, it is a waaay better odd in your favor to spend a couple to few thousand extra on a cleared/proven "show dog" than try out a pup. I have run on many puppies that never turned out.....I refuse to look at my ledgers on how much that has cost over the years..........probably could have bought some top CH dogs instead..hahahaha

If you look at many dog folks out showing, they have gotten fantastic adults through purchase or co-ownership and are doing great winning.

There is a very old saying...........everything is always for sale to the right person for the right price.

Also, buyer beware...as always

They are out there but you have to work to find them.
If a breeder is raising up 2-3 boys to get her next possible champion, usually the breeder will want to place the others once they knows which on theywants to keep.

Find a breeder that has the lines and ethical views similar to your liking and ask these questions. If they feel comfortable with you they may steer you in the right direction to find your older boy.

Good luck

Be prepared to pay upwards of $5,000 minimum. They are worth it and the breeders deserve it for all their hard work.

Great question. Yes, there are dogs out there that are older and available for show. I agree that sometimes breeders run on (grow up) a couple(or more) from a litter and then decide that both are worth a shot in the show ring.
Go to shows, all breed, and specialties, meet the breeders, develop a relationship and that special dog may come along. It did for me.

Thks everyone. 5000???? I'm looking to spend no more than maybe 800, I guess I better stick to agility!

You can't even get a pet puppy for that. Stick to your performance, this is not a cheap hobby.

Looking
Thks everyone. 5000???? I'm looking to spend no more than maybe 800, I guess I better stick to agility!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Maybe you should take up stamp collecting instead?
But seriously,
The above poster is correct, you won't even find a PET PUPPY for $800 and you certainly won't find a show dog, unless of course you buy from a breeder who has no clue what they are doing and you will get a BYB looking dog that will get you either laughed right out of the ring with or people will feel sorry that you were taken advantage of.

There are plenty of pets available for $800. Nice breedings and nice pedigrees. The whole country isn't as inflated as the East Coast!

Or the West Coast, I don't know of anyone selling Lab puppies for $800.00.

Unfortunately, around here, you have to be very well known to sell puppys to good homes for a good price.
I only breed to keep something and I am not always able to find the type of home that I want for $800.
Yes,I am a club member and have bred/shown/handled and
finished something.

I agree with you midwest, I'm in this area too & maybe it's the bad economy but it's a rare few I feel that will actually sell all of their pets for at least $800. They may say they do but in reality I would guess not.

Well I am in the midwest..yep..sell my pups for $800.00...hard pressed to ask much more. I have been able to sell all my pups to companion homes for this price from my last litter (all black even!) and have a waiting list for fall. In past years we have been lucky to get $600.00.

But back to the OP...you are not going to find a started show prospect for $800.00. But if you are serious about showing, then save up your money, build your relationships with those breeders that have the dogs you admired and go from there. Breeders have a lot of time and expense in those older dogs. Be respectful of what they have put into it.