Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Diamond Naturals Dog Food

Has anyone here fed this food? If so, how did your dogs do on it? I know not every dog will do well on every food. I have been feeding Blue Buffalo for several yrs now and my dogs have done very well on it. However, in the last month, both of my sources for Blue Buffalo have gone up to $45+ per 30 lb bag(up $7 per bag). Not sure how long I can handle that increase in price, though quality of food and my dogs response to the food is the most important thing. This weekend while in Tractor Supply buying horse supplements, I saw the Diamond Naturals, and the price is about $27 per bag, think it was a 40lb bag. The ingredients looked fine, so am looking for your experiences with the food. Also do they offer a breeders program? Thanks in advance.
Julia

Re: Diamond Naturals Dog Food

Here's a good website to check out for different dog foods:

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/

switched to Diamond Natural from Pro Plan about 2 months ago after I just got tired of waiting for the original to come back and my dogs did terrible on the shredded.

I am very happy with the results of all my dogs on the Diamond Natural. I am feeding adult chicken mixed evenly with extreme athlete. I have labs from 6 months to 10 years on this food and all are doing great>

Still raising my litters on the Pro Plan puppy
Price break is a plus and it is so much easier for me to get locally.

Been using Diamond for 6 yrs, the Natural line for about 2 yrs, like it ALOT.........my dogs have done well on it AND I appreciate the price.

No Breeder Plan that I know of but often there are 44 lb "bonus bags" and ???? I think Tractor Suppy Co. offers a deal on the purchase of "x # of bags"

we have fed Diamond Naturals, Chicken Soup. Extreme Athlete at times and now Premium Edge Skin and Coat. I think the discount is $2 off a bag if you buy 5 or more at a time. I think that is their breeder plan. Also have been told it is the price break at other stores. That is the deal we get where we buy our food.

my local feed store beats Tractor supplys price by 4 bucks a bag.

I switched my dogs just before ProPlan switched over to the shreds. I am feeding the chicken and rice and I love the results. I've cut my feeding cost in half and I think they look better and holding coat better. Toward the end before I made the change I felt like my dogs were blowing coat constantly.

Everyone, thanks so much for the replies and feedback. I have about a months worth of Blue Buffalo left so have a couple of weeks to make up my mind before I need to start switching. Prem. Edge was the other brand that I had looked at. I really appreciate your comments. Always good to know of others results from feeding the food.
Julia

I've fed the Extreme Athlete with great results. I switched over after I couldn't keep weight on a dog. Coats and poops are great.

Compare label and price of Diamond C&R to Kirkland (Costco's brand manufactured by Diamond) C&R. . . .

My crew had sloppy stools with several brands of food. So I switched to making my own with chicken breast, egg, rice, veggies and added vitamins. The dogs loved it but it was sooo much work. Then I asked our local feed mill for advice and they turned me to Diamond Natural Chicken with Rice. Said some dogs do not like the flavor but never heard other complaints. My "kids" resisted it at first compared to homemade food, but now they love it and have firm healthy stool.

I've been feeding Diamond's Extreme Athlete since it came on the market here. The store I purchase from is $37 for a #40lb bag and you get a free bag with your 10th bag purchased. I've saved a lot of money using it. My dogs hold weight well, firm stools, no gas-butt problems..LOL Nice coats and fast regrowth.
Calorie content is 491kl per cup at 32% protein 26% fat. BTW my vet said it's even OK for my "Dumpster" kitty to eat..she perferes it over dry cat food

Premium Edge is another really good food. It is just not as readily available. They only allow distribution to limited stores in a radius I believe. For instance, there is a store about 12 miles from mine that carries it and it is the only store/feed supply that does in my area. I cannot even bring it into my store.

I feed Diamond Naturals Chicken and Rice when my local feed store is out of Sensible Choice Chicken and Rice. They are about the same protein/fat/ingredient wise. While I prefer the Sensible Choice, my boys do just as well on Diamond.

I have also switched my crew over to the Diamond Natural about two months ago and so far so good but am wondering if any of you have kept your girls on it that plan to be bred? If so any problems with conception or notice of different litter sizes. I normally have them on the ProPlan.

The Diamond rep was in today and he told me that Premiun Edge was about the same formula as Kirkland. We are picking up their Professional line of dog foods. They will cost between 35 and 37 dollars per 40 pound bag, buy six get one free. Has anyone tried this? It looks like a nice food for a great price.

Professional is a good feed. Glucosomin and chondriton
in it. It comes in a 35 lb bag.