Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Two Judges - what do they look for? input?

Hi;

I am looking to see if anyone has any experience with the following two judges:

- Ms Paula Heikkinen-Lehkonen from Finland
- Ms. E. Mathis from Florida

Your input is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Re: Two Judges - what do they look for? input?

The florida judge looks to see who is on the other end of the lead.

Agreed on the FL judge...I would also add...the more generic and yellow the better.

Never shown to the Fin judge.

the judge from Finland i have shown too. i took her a moderate bitch with good movement, decent front and reach of neck, she put her up.. LeeAnne

Hmm I don't like judges looking at whats on the end of the lead. It should be the dog that is judged, not the handler. But thats a pile of mold that we shouldn't stir up.

And after some research on their past assignments, I think I have a good idea now.

Thanks all!

And just to add, the judges from across the pond aren't afraid to withold ribbons on dogs that don't meet the standard requirements. I have shown to several and watched them judge other breeds on numerous occasions and have always seen ribbons witheld on dogs lacking merit or for standard disqualifications.

I can tell you that I have never seen Elaine Mathis looking at who is on the other end of the lead, but, I can tell you that she does not like dogs that are overdone or overweight. She gave a 6 mo old chocolate bitch a RWB and the bitch was on the slim side as she was at that growth time. She also told me that my Nikki was too heavy and she had given her points before and she had put on some weight.Ellie

http://www.saunalahti.fi/umt/index_e.html
http://www.labradori.fi
click on the flag below on the left hand side of web page for english language...click on shows and showresults and you will see results from shows, the judges and the labradors.

finnish judges have a very long training, and are highly respected.
best
ritva in finland

http://www.saunalahti.fi/paihof/news/news.html

here is the show result webpage, not the latest, i don´t know why, its private webinfo, so might be lack of time....but 2008 show results, scrolling down you will find one show with paula´s results and fotos of placed labs...
finnish judges are of good reputation and not political. i´m very proud of them and their training is up to date and very good.
ritva

I agree with Ellie. I have never known Elaine Mathis
to put up whats on the end of the lead. She puts up the dog she likes the best.

Lynn Greskevitch
I agree with Ellie. I have never known Elaine Mathis
to put up whats on the end of the lead. She puts up the dog she likes the best.

WRONG! With Mr. Mathis being even more known for putting up who is on the other end of the leash.

Yes on the Finnish judges, we just had Kirsi Luomanen and Hannele Jokisilta judge our Pioneer Valley show. They were excellent, judged the dog, knew exactly what they were looking for, never judged up the lead and were just super nice to show under. Don't bring your fat, sloppy rolling back dogs though, they like type and condition I believe