Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Outside Tie??

I have researched and still can't come up with what exactly is and OUTSIDE TIE?

Will someone please be graphic cause I must be slow because I can't figure it out???

Re: Outside Tie??

Like it is not a tie at all. The dog penetrated the bitch, but a tie was not achieved. Which mean, you hope he ejaculated, but you do not know for sure.

guess an outside tie could equal being almost pregnant!

So after he ejaculates he falls out???

No bulb and tie at all?

Does he just lose the sperm on her rear and legs?

O.K. without getting too graphic this is what you can do to try and "save" the ejaculate. You need two people. One holds the bitch in place while the other holds the stud in place once he penetrates. If he doesn't tie then you need to keep him from falling off for a few minutes. It can be done as I've had to do it a couple of times when the boy was either too excited too quickly, or maybe the girl had a stricture. Pregnancy was achieved.

If the dog penetrated the bitch, it is possible that sperm was deposited and conception may take place. There simply is no tie.

Maybe this will help:

Normally the bulbus glandis of the male holds the two dogs together as the female locks down over this portion of the penis shaft and the bulbus glandis swells creating the 'tie'. This is why it is important to never try to separate dogs who are tied -- the male can be injured.

Sometimes the male is so excited the bulbus glandis swells before the female is entered. When this happens he can't do a full tie as the swollen area is not within the gripping portion of the female's genital tract.

The important thing in breeding is that the sperm get into the reproductive tract of the female.
Holding the two dogs joined even if the bulbus glandis is outside the female can work to accomplish that.

Johanne

So, an outside tie is similar or the same as the AI's many of us do at home?

Good point. Probably true.