Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
White toes on yellow puppies

I was reading the mismark thread and was wondering. I have a litter of yellow puppies and several have 2 white toes. Would this be consider a mismark or just part of their shading? I will say that they are darker yellow.

Re: White toes on yellow puppies

White toe nails are not a mismark no matter how dark the yellow coat may be.

I would not consider it a mismark, we have had a few puppies like that with 2-3 white toes and if they had not been fox red and a lighter yellow, it never would be noticed. As they get older the white tends to blend in and not as noticeable.
On blacks or chocolates any white spots tend to stick out like a sore thumb, in most cases Labs that have noticeable ones are not used in breeding programs and/or can be bred around. On yellows, especially lighter ones, most times it is never noticed so this is passed on to the next generation.
Bottom line, I would not worry about it.

There have been black puppies of excellent breeding with white toes. That IS a problem. I guess if it were me, if the white toes do not show up on the yellow, I would not worry where that dog is concerned. However, I would probably avoid a breeding that would produce black puppies.

So breed knowing the gene is there to produce it, but it's okay because you can't see it?

That is like those that stay away from bolo markings or white on the chest. Just because you can't see it, if the dog is yellow, doesn't mean that dog does not have the ability to reproduce it.

So you breed yellow to yellow , get all yellows, but those marks could still be there if you look closely.

If we didn't breed dogs that possibly produced white toes, we wouldn't be breeding very many dogs.

White splashing is in just about all Labs' genes. We're lucky if the "small white spot" on the chest that is permissible actually ends up on the chest.

Labs can have white anywhere and often do.

Yes, there are white toes in labs, BUT if the puppy has pink instead of black pads on those toes then you will see it down the road. Why would you breed a fault that is easy to remove from your bloodlines and can be seen at 5 weeks

White toes on puppies do not cause pain, lameness or joint ills. They are a minor fault that should not be avoided simply if it might appear. You can see it early in their life. You can avoid using those that have it-if you wish.
It is low on the list of items to be avoided. It is cosmetic and simply a matter of preference. There are many other more important things to avoid than something so minor. To delete animals in your breeding program that otherwise pleases you will cause you to stay at a very slow rate of progress.

To who ever answered me but could not sign their name I only have this to say...by all means "do what ever pleases YOU" which I take to mean "make your own rules and not use the "norm" and lets see what type of a bloodline you've built after 30 some years

NHL, I do sign my name and I see you don't. Anyway I happen to agree with whom ever answered you. Every Labrador has it's faults. Many of these can be seen when the puppies are 8 weeks of age but most of us choose our poison so to speak and keep what ever pleases us. To one a particular fault might be a complete deal breaker but to another it would be no big deal. I don't think any of us are in a position to make these kinds of judgments for others.
Personally a little bit of white is no big deal (two white toes is a little bit in my book). I happen to know that white spots on very young puppies tend to be not as apparent as they get older. I respect your position that YOU would not keep a puppy like that, I certainly don't have a problem with you feeling that way. I have a problem with low tail sets and would not keep a puppy that had one. I have a very good friend who feels that that is a very minor issue but if the puppy did not have a strong head, that would be an automatic "out the door".

Can you point out where the LR written or illustrated standard discusses white toenails as being a fault? I have looked high and low without success.

I think the OP was thinking of "white toes" not "toe nails"

Guess you missed it. NHL Nancy Hope-Love Brookland@rcn.com

Thanks, Gregg. Yes, I missed that entirely.

Well hi Nancy!! I did not even look at the E-mail address, sorry!

Well, Hi Back Gregg......yes, we all have "things" that turn us off, years back when I did my LQ Interview, I stated light color eyes was an instant deal breaker for me!To me we loose "the kind knowing expression." It's not the white toes on a lighter yellow, BUT there was a really nice Black imported Stud that produced white toes often...think about white toes on BLACK puppys... that is what you are laying yourself open for. Yes,Ch Lockerbie Brian Boru gave us white spots just below the upper pad on the back of the foot, white groin hairs, and sometimes white chin hairs....nothing that would keep me from using him again, but white toes then becomes a "Lady Clairol" problem!