Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Doggie smell in house

Good morning all.... We have been having some very damp, humid weather. I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion about how to get rid of the doggie smell? I try not to spray alot of sprays cause of the allergies he has. It is just when it is damp and humid out it doesnt smell otherwise. I try to keep ceiling fans going to help. Any suggestions would be appreciated. thanks!!

Re: Doggie smell in house

I have often found that running a de-humidifier works wonders, and of course, wash their bedding and toys more frequently. Baking soda is a nice holistic refresher for carpets.

Thanks I will try the baking soda! This may sound like a silly question but do you vaccuum after the baking soda? and how long do you leave it down for before vaccuuming? Maybe I will purchase a dehumidifer this weekend...Thanks

I have found that small cups of white vinegar placed around the house help to absorb odors.

Fresh Wave products are great for pet smells. They are
nontoxic. I've used the crystals (they last awhile, even
though seem expensive upfront), the room spray and vacuum
pearls. They are great at getting rid of all kinds of odors.

we have a Glade automatic air freshener in several places around the house and kennel.
Works great and so many nice scents to choose from.

I leave the baking soda on for 10 minutes and then vaccum. It really works wonders.

Keep loose hair vaccummed up. Have carpets steam cleaned at least 2-3x a year (not the do-it-yourself either). Wash the hard surface floors regularly. Clean out the heat registers where hair will settle. Wash bedding and toys at least once a week. This is all I do and my house smells pretty fresh until a wet dog comes in. Lots of work? Sure is but I adore my dogs and hate their hair, smell and barking so I'm obsessed with keeping the house clean and quiet.

Fresh Wave....Where can I find these products??? Do they carry them in pet supply stores , grocery stores?? Or can you only get online. I live in PA....thanks in advance.

Fresh Wave all the way!! I use the crystals and they really seem to work. I can get them at my local hardware stores, like a True Value or Westlakes. I have not seen the products in pet stores. You can go on-line and fins outlets near you. Just search Fresh Wave. They have a great shampoo which I have found to be really gentle on the coats and not dry them out. I have used the carpet deodorizer and the house spray as well. All kind of have a pine coneish smell. I really like the crystals though.

The electric oil burning lamps are wonderful. I love the coffee, cinnaman, and gingerbread scents. I have used blueberry muffin oils before, and had everyone in the house looking for the muffins that I had made. Needless to say, they didn't find any, but the smell sure was good.

call me crazy or call me Morticia Adams but I like doggy smell!My dogs live in my house because I respect them and we think they smell swell!..we only hope that our smell doe not offend them!!

breeder
we have a Glade automatic air freshener in several places around the house and kennel.

Glade automatics give off toxic substances and they aren't healthy for you or your dog!

Bathe your doggies in Hylyte shampoo to get rid of the smells for good.

I love that shampoo!

We've carried Fresh Wave in my gift shop for years (not an advertisement!) and it is great! The most popular item is the large jar of crystals (gel) but the pearl packs are good to put in the car or stinky gym bags etc. You can get a big (64 oz.) refill size too. I carry one of the travel-size sprays in my travel case for smelly hotel rooms. One time in their showroom at the Atlanta Gift show, one of the reps sprayed some in her mouth to show how non-toxic it is! They also have a pet line but it is the same formula with a different label. I put a travel-size spray in my puppy packets.

Here is the site to find a store near you or you can order online.

http://www.fresh-wave.com/products/index.html

Well, you can go ahead and move all your investment $$$ into Yankee Candle Company...I think I'm the one that keeps them in business. I buy sooooo many of the TARTS ( I use the ceramic tart burners) . I put them everywhere. There is not a smell they cannot cover. And none of the other brands seem to be quite as good.

I also had Aire-Master install those things in my home like you see in restaurant bathrooms? We have two in each puppy room, and 2 in the main part of our kennel. a month per unit to service. ITs cheaper than tarts. But I still swear by those TARTS!!!! When I have 5- 8 week old pups in the house, I use the tarts along with the Aire-Masters. Otherwise the Aire-Master unit is enough for any other time.

FYI
breeder

Glade automatics give off toxic substances and they aren't healthy for you or your dog!

Bathe your doggies in Hylyte shampoo to get rid of the smells for good.

Where do you buy Hylyte Shampoo and what is it? My dogs never have an odor unless they get damp or wet. Once dry they have no odor. I don't like to overbathe them but once in a while, especially after or while they're blowing coat I will bathe more frequently.