Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Labs & Above Ground Pool

Do any of you let your dogs swim in an above ground pool or would it be too easy for them to tear the liner?

Re: Labs & Above Ground Pool

yes, we have two labs and they go in the pool. we bought the special wide stairs so they can easily get in and out of the pool. they are like inground pool stairs. so wide my male actually just sits his butt on the steps and watches what is going on in the pool! and until we completely trusted them from pawing at the sides of the pool and only getting in and out via the steps we put those doggie boots on their front paws. worked well and the love it. just be sure to keep the gate locked when you aren't there with them. both of mine like to walk up the deck steps and wait at the gate then look at me like hey .... .let us in the pool.

Thanks for the info! I really want a pool and want to let my dogs in it -- but can only afford an above ground pool.

My boys swim in my above ground pool. They were taught not to swim near the edges. They can get in and out of the pool by themselves. They are not allowed in the pool without a human in there. The only bad thing is the hair. It's hard on the filter.

Regarding the filter - I read once that if you covered your filter in nylon, like panty hose, you could create a primary filter for the hair. I haven't done it myself, but it seems like it would help.

It does, but it's still a pain, because you have to stay on top of it.