Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Break away collars

I am trying to figure what to do about keeping collars on my dogs. Accidents and deaths from caught or tangled collars are always real possibilities when collars are left on dogs. This makes me want to go with the no collar solution. On the other hand, collars mean that the tags are on the dogs which increases return to owner should the dog escape (and
they all can,no matter how careful you are). A microchipped dog is great but the majority of people who find a dog are not going to take it to a vet to have it scanned, also the chip information is available on the tag. This makes me want to go with the collar on dog solution. I have seen a break away collar for dogs which is very similar to the ones they use for cats - has anyone tried these? It would seem to be the solution IF it is truly break away.
Thanks for any input.

Re: Break away collars

Don't waste your money. I bought a bunch of them for my last litter to go home with and 2 for my dogs. I returned them all.

They do in fact break away. Especially when you need to grap your dog by the collar and than you have a loose dog with no collar.

I know the concept sounds great but if dogs play and pull on each others collars you will end up losing the collar in the yard and it can be difficult to find.

My dogs collars that they wear in the yard (invisible fence) (only when I am home) have no rings or tags on them so there really is not place for teeth to get caught. They have the quick release plastic buckles not the regular buckle type.

Perhaps that would be a solution for you for the yard anyway. When out and about on leash my dogs wear collars with tags (but still quick release)

Re: Break away collars

We use them and I don't have this problem, but you have to get the ones that are made for your size dog. If its a bigger dog, they need to be thicker and the larger size. We had a puppy we bred get its regular collar stuck on another dogs collar in the house while playing with the owners there. They couldn't get the collar cut off fast enough and she died! We also had them get hooked in a fence, again while supervised, but I've never had them fall off.
Most of the time I don't have collars on the dogs for the yard time (we have a fenced and then an electric line too in the dog yard), so couldn't comment on that. But the keepsafe ones I have aren't easy to pull apart in the 1 inch size medium.