Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Furmator question

Anyone know any negative reasons for NOT using a Furmator. From my standpoint it's great for pulling out only the dead hair but a groomer said it damaged the top coat. I've not found that to be the case and would love input.........

Re: Furmator question

I was told it damages the guard coat, so I gave mine to my mom so she could use it on her companion lab.

I AM tempted to try it on a couple of my old spayed bitches that don't shed very well on their own. The brush just doesn't cut it!

I have used it on my pet Lab and did not find it to damage the coat. I chose the Bamboo Furbuster because not only does it cost less (. vs .), you can buy replacement blades (.). With the Furminator once it is dull it's done. I have a lot less hair floating around now. I love it.

I think it could be damaging if you used it excessively. When we are in big time coat blowing mode, I might use it 1x a week for a few weeks, but normally I just use a slicker brush.

interestingly, mine hasn't gotten dull in all the time I have had it.

I know most will disagree, but I wait until I see the blow and give a tepid bath followed by the High V. dryer. At most I do this 2x per year and have not found it to affect the coat texture at all. They all have correct coats. They usually continue to shed some after the bath, so I just use a soft slicker brush and comb. I don't use harsh grooming implements.

El
I know most will disagree, but I wait until I see the blow and give a tepid bath followed by the High V. dryer. At most I do this 2x per year and have not found it to affect the coat texture at all. They all have correct coats. They usually continue to shed some after the bath, so I just use a soft slicker brush and comb. I don't use harsh grooming implements.

I was using the furminator on my neutered boy and I found it was damaging the coat.
He has a really dense thick coat. Last fall I did the bath and blow method and I am HOOKED!
I did the bath and blow for both my girls last fall too. One after her seasonal blow and the other after her litter went home. I found it took the coat out nice and evenly and it grew back quickly and evenly on both girls.
They are ALL going into their seasonal blow and cannot wait to get them done.
My groomer lets me use her facility. I feel bad because I cake her walls in Lab fur!

I am a groomer and Lab Breeder....I totally agree with El...the bath & blowout is how it is done! The Furminator is a tool that is essentially the blade part of a clipper blade and is a tool used for "carding" coats...best suited for terrier type coats that get stripped out. The Furminator will produce a large bag of hair from your labradors but it will not be a bag of just undercoat...it will also be some of your precious guard coat...there is no way around it.....it could do the job for open coated dogs who lack a correct outer coat...no guard coat to ruin.

I'm a groomer too and our shop owner just ordered a Furminator which arrived last week. I won't be using it on any dogs. It comes with a multitude of warnings by the way. If not used on the proper type coat, or used incorrectly you could really hurt a dog. I am comfortable using tools, but see no need for this one. IMO of course!

I have one and used it

on one of my old spayed bitches and saw damage to the coat. So now I use it on the horse and it works great. :)

El

I would like to try a High V. dryer, is this something I can buy? I have seen some portable units, are they any good? What should I look for when buying one?

Can you use it when the dog is dry or is it more effective when the dog is wet?

Is it possible to use it too much or too often? I would like to take my dog to a groomer to see how effective it is first but I have heard horror stories about dogs dying at the groomers.

You can buy a Metro Force H.V. dryer from several catalogs. I bought mine 14 years ago from what was once R.C. Steele. I believe that company is now Pet Edge? K.V. Vet carries them too as well as Groomer's Choice. I have never used it when the coat is dry. Give your dog a very good toweling before high vying, or else all you'll do is blow water around and not get your dog's coat blown out and mostly dry. I leave the coat somewhat damp and run my hands over it to settle it down. Hint, when it's nice outside I H.V. in the driveway, but I do have a grooming room in my basement. You do not want to H.V. in your bathroom unless you feel like vaccuming your walls and ceiling! What I like about H.V. is you will not dry out the coat or skin because the dryer does not get hot. Have fun and wear swimming goggles if you have contacts!

I own a grooming shop and I WILL NOT use the Furminator on any dog. This "tool" cuts the hair at the same time you are brushing. DO NOT USE ON YOUR SHOW DOGS!!!!!
Bathe your Labrador and while you have shampoo on, use a slicker brush and brush your dog. Be sure not to use excessive pressure, as the teeth of the brush slide to the skin much easier. Follow with a comb and you will pull out much of the dead hair. Once you are done brushing and combing, rinse!
Everyone has their own method of dealing with the "shedding season"....this is what works for me.

Shannon, I do that also while the dog is soaped up, so less hair blows around later. Glad you brought that up. We are in agreement about the Furminator too.

It works so well!
A rubber brush called "Zoom Groom" works really well for getting all of the loose top coat, also.