Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Heat, humidity and the dreadful "hot spot"

I have a female lab (Snoopy daughter) that has a thick yellow coat and a fleshy neck. She is only 1.5 years of age but she has a terrible problem with huge areas of moist dermatitis when water, heat, and humidity mix. Please help. This girl loves to swim, dunk her head in water buckets, and even lay in the water that she has dribbled from her mouth ... she is my little wet piggy. Last year about this time in the hot and humid South, her neck erupted with hot spots. During other months of the year, she may have a few minor ones here and there, but quickly dry up with no treatment. I noticed today that her neck was soaking wet ... with discharge. Huge area on the side and between the 2 "chins". I am going to wash it in chlorhexidine shampoo, started her on cephalexin, and gave her one dose of prednisone. I really don't want to clip ... it will be the entire neck and she will look just awful. Any advise on keeping this area dry to prevent this?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Heat, humidity and the dreadful "hot spot"

I'm sorry to her about your dog and what you're dealing with - these are a pain in more ways than one! If you do a search here, you'll find that this subject has been discussed a lot and recently. Hopefully you'll get some good ideas from there that will be helpful.

I feel your pain and frustration here in wet,warm FL. I have a similar situation. I use Gold Bond Powder to dry up the "hot spots" and (hard as it is) keep her out of the water in addition to the antibiotics. There is a Gentian violet formula for hot spots, sorry, you'll have to research that one. The Gold Bond has worked for me. I wish you the best in your battle against hot spots.
Lisa M

I would do what you are doing and also rub with alcohol or use a spray of some sort to dry it out. Cephalexan makes a big difference in the speed of cure. Do you think that benedryl would be enough - instead of the pred.?

Please, please don't use alcohol on open, raw hot spots! The Chlorhexidine scrub is better and won't burn. Gentocin Topical Spray is very good to speed healing if the hot spot is very large. But, I think it's through the Vet only. If the hot spots are small individual spots, try the gold bond. I know it sounds weird, but it has worked for me. If I catch the hot spot at 2 in or less I can clear it up with the GB Powder.Best of luck
Lisa M

Bausch and Lomb contact lens solution is great - dries it up in two applications or so and doesn't hurt. I use it all the time ...

The best thing I have found is Clora Care that I get from Nature's Farmacy. www.naturesfarmacy.com. It is blue so will stain a yellow coat, but I have always had it clear up the hot spots very quickly, and the stain does last too long.
Julia

OK I can understand not wanting to shave it- BUT if you are not showing her, why not shave it the beginning of May, get her through the season and then let it grow? Much of the hot spot issue also relates to allergies. IF not a trim, maybe invest in a good high speed dryer- the kind that blow air, not heat- they really do dry them in no time. At least she can still have her water fun if you go either way.

Use Neopredef at the first sign of a hot spot. It's phenominal and no shaving is needed. It works wonders in 24 to 48 hours. You might want to clean the area well 1-st or bathe the area with an anti-fungal shampoo before applying.

Keep it with you when traveling to shows, especially in the upcoming weather.

We use the Gentamicin spray too and it works wonders...

I find that often the fur will just pull out on the hot spot! It is yucky, but taking it out seems to be the best. I do not have to shave. Then try the drying agents. Someone also suggested kelp as a supplement to help avoid them.

Best of Luck!