Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Amateur-owner-handler class

wondering if any judges who read this forum would think of picking from the A-O-H class for winners dog/bitch? I know this is a new class. just would like to hear your thoughts on this.

Re: Amateur-owner-handler class

Interesting question - guess it would depend on the dog but all things being equal....why wouldn't they??? JMO

An amateur owner won't take out the best of the dog like a profesional.
Put the same dog with a pro and will look like another dog.
An amateur owner with a great dog will loose 9/10 against a pro with a mediocre dog.

I happen to disagree. Not all handlers are "miracle workers". I do think that whatever class you enter - with a good judge - you will prevail.

I agree!! I have been against a very good handler. We took BOB and BOS with my two I showed one day. Next day my boy took BOS again. And the boy was only six months old and his first show.

So how do you show two dogs at the same time? LOL!!!
Kidding!! Before anyone gets their feathers in a ruffle!

Good point, your dogs must be beautifull and may be you are better handler than what you think.
I guess the dog must be 50% and the handler 50%, or may be the dog 60%, I don't know.

LOL!! I had to hand my boy off to my husband who has only helped me a few times.
But all aside,this was not to brag but to encourage others. We have won some and of course lost too. I try to just have fun with my dogs.

Classes are judged on the dog not the handler...that said ....a bad handler can make a great dog look bad and a good pro can make a an OK dog look much better than it is. We only have 2 minutes to evaluate your dog if it's not looking it's best in those 120 seconds you have had your shot. I have put dogs up for points from all the classes, with the exception of the Novice class, not due to the class but the quality of dogs that have been entered there.

While we're on the subject of handling, what do you think about using a junior handler on a young bitch? She is a very nice bitch, but we're up against professionals almost all the time in AB and haven't been close. Objectively I think some of the bitches she has been up against are incredible so I'm not against losing, but want to progress as she matures. Opinions?

What about politics, friendship, interests, etc.. I am sure this things have more weight in the judge decition than a dog. If the judge and the handler are friends, strike three and you are out.

i know this class is new, but from your experience do you think the caliber of the dogs in the A-O-H class equals that of those in the bred by (which also cannot be handled by professional unless they have bred the dog??) and deserve a second look in the winners dog ring. or do you clasify them right next to the novice dog class?

This class should not be looked at as it is a lesser quality of the dogs. The idea of this class is to give the owner handler a chance to exhibit there dog without having to go up against the pros. Hopefully making things a more even playing field. From reading some of the results of recent shows on infodog, I have seen one winners bitch that was shown out of the amateur owner handler class.

In a sense, any dog in any class other than open is at a disadvantage with a weak judge. If I am a clueless judge, I look for the most famous handler in open, and that is my winner's bitch or dog.

Agree!!!!