Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ploddy mover

Is there anything that you can do with a dog who moves ploddy?

Re: Ploddy mover

I guess I should have said...is there anything I can do to get him to move correctly?

Could you describe "ploddy"...attitude? movement? head down, up?

His head is up, tail straight out, nice forward movement. However, he seems heavy in his movement. His brother floats, but he plods. Any suggestions?

It's so hard to say without seeing movement. Does he ever move like his brother? In the yard? If he saw a bird? Does he just dislike showing? Is his temperament softer?

I kept 3 boys from a litter once and one loved showing and moved out , one was okay with showing, but it was at his pace (not fast) and the other hated showing altogether and would not move out at all.

I have a bitch that tends to move slowly around the ring and toys/treats haven't really helped. Her belly goes back and forth (she isn't overweight). I really have to push her to move faster to get it to look better. Currently I am keeping a treat only for the ring in the hopes of keeping her interest to move along more swiftly.

The best shoulders and the most angle on a dog in my kennel is the worst mover I have. I think I have what you have. They are heavy in front on the move. Kind of a rolling pounding gait. Not sure it can be changed or corrected.

The straighter dogs seem to float.
The dogs with more angle are all over the place. Flames to follow..........

Both he and his brother love the show ring. His brother is more excited if there is food involved. "Ploddy" is just happy to be anywhere that I am. Someone had told me to work him on gravel, but I was concerned that that might hurt his feet instead of help his movement. He does seem to move better outside, or maybe it just doesn't show as much in the grass.

I was just wondering if swimming would tone him up ?

No flames from me! The more angle, the more room for error when moving if the dog is not built properly.

Seen it
The best shoulders and the most angle on a dog in my kennel is the worst mover I have. I think I have what you have. They are heavy in front on the move. Kind of a rolling pounding gait. Not sure it can be changed or corrected.

The straighter dogs seem to float.
The dogs with more angle are all over the place. Flames to follow..........