Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
corncobs!

Gals got into the trash last night and ate corncobs. Just checked the poo of one, and there were a few pieces of hard stuff that felt like cob along with some corn, so hopefully she chewed and didn't gulp the things. 5 cobs are missing between three adults, and a bunch of other trash. Vet recommended Laxatone and watching, but stores are closed to get the laxatone. One of the girls did vomit twice today - small amounts of stuff - maybe a small piece of cob.

Any other suggestions?

I also thought I wouldn't feed today - is that wise or not?

TIA

Re: corncobs!

I think that corn cobs are one of the worst things they can eat.
But hopefully they did chew them up.
Just watch to make sure they are pooping, as long as they are, they should be fine.

Actually, feeding is recomended, because the bulk will help take things out.

My bitch ate one last night as well! Welcome Summer...no poo yet today, does that mean it has constipated her?

I had a friends dog here while they were away for a week. Mid-way through the week she threw up a large piece of corn cob..... no other signs it was inside her.
The dog had eaten it before coming here for the week.
So keep watch for a good number of days.

Hope all goes well.

I have heard that it is dangerous for dogs to eat corn cobs. But, over the years, I have had many dogs eat many corn cobs. They come out just like they go in, as corn always does. Never had a problem. Keep an eye on her. If you have reason to be concerned, take her into the vet.

Corn Fed
My bitch ate one last night as well! Welcome Summer...no poo yet today, does that mean it has constipated her?

It isn't constipation you have to be worried about. Corn cobs do not digest and can cause an obstruction. Best to make your vet aware and follow the advice given.

My vet has also said that if you feed raw pumpkin (not the pie filling) it will help dialate the digestive system.

A friend's lab experienced an obstruction three weeks after the corncob was eaten. It required emergency surgery.

1 tablespoon of veg oil will help lubricate and facilitate movement of the feces. Keep feeding, the pumpkin post is for added fiber, the more bulky the feces the more likely things will pass.
If she gets suddenly sick, it is time for surgery, and do not wait if it happens. It can become a life threatening situation.
Good luck.

My boy swallowed one...didn't really eat it other than to chomp it in half...a week went by and I was on poop watch and nothing....finally, he threw it up. It sat in his stomach for 10 days...it was discusting. I wasn't home at the time of his consumption, otherwise I would have made him throw it up.

After 2 weeks of nothing, this morning she threw up something. upon closer inspection, it is, in fact the corn cob from Memorial Day! I couldn't believe it.

Good job! I hope all comes out easy.