Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What class?

I have a 21 month old boy I would like to enter in conformation in June. I am quite new to this venue and am not sure what class to enter...novice or amateur owner handler. I'm not sure conformation is for me but I'd like to give him a shot! TIA

Re: What class?

If you're entering an all-breed show I would recommend Am-Bred. If at a specialty Novice.

It is an all breed-I think someone told me that novice was sort of frowned upon at all breed shows-why is that?

You need to get some handling classes. Find a local all breed club that offers them.
Novice is seldom offered. You need to go with AOH. Am Bred or open

I guess technically I'm not entirely new to conformation...I did do handling classes and showed him in the puppy classes. During his ugly duckling phase he earned his rally novice title and has been training in obedience and for hunt tests. I will need to brush up at handling class though so he won't heel in the breed ring!

Good for you and I would say go for American bred.
Get out, get started and have fun.

New to conformation
It is an all breed-I think someone told me that novice was sort of frowned upon at all breed shows-why is that?

It may be because a dog entered in the Novice Class is ineligible if they have a certain number of 1st place wins. Check AKC and see what the requirements are for the class.

Am Bred for sure. Novice say's "I'm totally new and not ready to win".
Am bred says "I am not quite mature enough for the Open yet but I'm serious".