Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Duck Training Throws

Does anyone use a Avery duck throw? http://www.averysportingdog.com/products/ATB.php
I was wondering how they compare to a Dokken duck throw.

If you have a Dokken throw do you have any complaints about it? Can the dogs puncture it and will it breakdown over time?

If you used both, which do you prefer? I have seen the Avery throw in person but not the Dokken, I don't know which to get. The Avery throw is painted very realistically but must be stored out of sunlight.

TIA

Re: Duck Training Throws

I have several Dokkens and the dogs love them. The head flop is a great teacher for the dogs to learn how to carry a bird correctly.

They take a lot of abuse and I have never heard to keep them out of sunlight--hard to do unless you field train indoors : )

Have never tried the Avery ones...from the photos it looks like theirs do not have feet like the Dokkens do.

When it is all said and done REAL DUCKS win over anything else. But we like to keep our training ducks dry, so we often use the Dokkens in the water and the ducks on land to make our ducks last longer.

MK

No, there is no feet on the Avery and I do like the feet on the Dokken . Are the feet floppy, do they move?

Does the Dokken have a spongy texture? Does it get punctured by teeth? It looks like a hard foam.

The Avery is painted well and looks very real. It's used outside but is recommended to be stored out of sunlight. Maybe the UV breaks it down.

I think I'm leaning towards a Dokken.

I personally don't use dokkens for training, but I've certainly seen them. I know the Avery bumpers are quite hard compared to other bumpers, I wonder if these are the same. Dokken bodies are rather "spongy" but don't puncture too easily.

I agree, real ducks win hands down :)

Thank you nicole.

I have Dokkens and I like them very much. I suppose they could be chewed or punctured, but if I had to worry about that I'd be doing something to encourage a softer mouth and not using the Dokken anyway. Thankfully that hasn't been one of the problems I've had! I don't let the dogs use bumpers or Dokkens for play toys - just for retrieving. They do have a realistic feel and weight. I don't think the color/paint would make any difference to the dog when training.

Nancy Rudgers
I have Dokkens and I like them very much. I suppose they could be chewed or punctured, but if I had to worry about that I'd be doing something to encourage a softer mouth and not using the Dokken anyway. Thankfully that hasn't been one of the problems I've had! I don't let the dogs use bumpers or Dokkens for play toys - just for retrieving. They do have a realistic feel and weight. I don't think the color/paint would make any difference to the dog when training.

Thank you for this. They way you put it made it clear to me which one I will get.