Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Taking field-bred who does rally to AKC/Specialty shows?

i have a field bred male who I do rally with. There are a lot of all-breed shows and a few specialty's each year in my area, I'd just do the rally with him, but would he stick out like a sore thumb at these shows, even if we are just there for rally, beings he is field bred? Thanks.

Re: Taking field-bred who does rally to AKC/Specialty shows?

No he would not. Take him and be proud. Labradors love to work. Wish more of us did more of that. Hard to find time to all the things Labs love to do. But no, when a club offers ob we know some of the dogs are not really show type, but bred just as good.

Thanks so much for your reply.

By all means, enter your dog!!!! Please support the specialty clubs that do continue to offer rally and obedience at their specialties. More and more clubs are no longer offering those and it's a shame. I try to enter a dog or two at those specialties offering performance events as I really do believe it's important to support that. Owners choosing to compete with their Labs in obedience, be they field bred, show bred, or whatnot, should have the opportunity to showcase their dog's performance at specialty trials.

I would encourage you to take him to any rally and/or obedience events at specialties. His performance gives everyone a chance to see what a Lab can do, not just how he looks.

I can only speak for the specialties I go to that have obedience, but at WLRC and
BLRC a large proportion of the dogs entered in obedience are field bred. I doubt that you will be "odd man out".

Take your dog to the Specialty Obedience events, hold your head high, and be proud of your Labrador. Performance events are not judged by the AKC breed standard and it's good for everyone who attends Specialties to see ALL of the wonderful things our Labradors can do. Plus, many of the Specialty Clubs offer great trophies for obedience that the All Breed Clubs don't. I have a few, not that we're all the great, but I love to see the trophies and remember the event it came from.

Denise Coler
Performance events are not judged by the AKC breed standard ....

Are conformation events at specialties judged by the AKC breed standard? I am trying to be a wise butt but sincerely don't want to start an argument. I just thought that was funny. Please ignore.