Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
ED and what to give to help with pain - or surgery??

I have a 6 year old who was dx'd with ED (grade I) at 2. DJD, no FCP or anything else.
Has always been sound, until now
In the last month has marked lameness in the leg with the ED.
I am looking for suggestions on supplements to try as well as personal experiences with ED surgery.
Please no speculations or suggestions about trying things you haven't personally used or done on a dog.
I could get a million different "opinions" anywhere.
I am looking for hard evidence, tried and successful methods, both pharmaceutical and invasive.
Also interested in negative experiences as well, what to stay away from and not to do.

Thank you!

Re: ED and what to give to help with pain - or surgery??

I have a puppy that has had surgery about 4 months ago. The thing I found to make a big difference is adequin shots. There is a loading dose at the beginning then a shot every 6 - 8 weeks. It helped so much. The surgery was tough and it followed with many weeks of restricted activity. My dog is still not 100% but much better than before surgery. I would say do the arthroscopic surgery if you have to do it. Rimadyl helped with the inflamation but I wouldn't want to use it long term.
Good luck.

I have a 4 1/2 yr. old boy with ED. What works for him is Adequan injections, Synovi G3 soft chews, and 3V capsules. If he's having a bad day I give him some Metacam for pain relief. He's not perfectly sound but with this regimen I am able to let him enjoy some field training as long as I don't let him overdue. Best of luck with your dog!

Adequan injections certainly do work, but I would use Lubrisyn/orally first and see if that works. Try the least agressive relief first ,and then that will give you room to move on to more agressive meds later as the disease progresses.

I have an 11 year old with (1) grade one elbow. She responds somewhat to deramax and she also gets 2 Cosequin DS each day. I have tried the adequan and she does not respond to that. We did have her on more holistic supplements last year, but there was little change in her limp, regardless of what we used.

She was fine until she turned about 10 - 10 1/2. Had no lameness that I could see until that age.

As the other breeder wrote, try the ones that would cause fewer side efectes first.

Same here. Surgery followed by Adaquan. My boy was 18 months when he had the surgery and is 6 years old now and he is doing fine.

Our first girl had HD at her prelims and we didn't do her elbows until she was about 2 and started limping so badly that we thought the worst. We did a month of bi-weekly injections of Adequan. By the 3 shot she was a new dog and has not shown any sign of pain since then, we haven't even had to give her a booster. She is 8 now. I was like a miracle.

I've had 2 cases of ED. In both, we did surgery but at a young age. For what I was told, the surgery works best when done at a young age. Both dogs ocassionally limped again once they were 9+ years old. A dose of aspirin helped. Because of your dog's age, I'd try the adequan shots.

Lubrysin. Call the company about double dosing initially.

Many people have quick results but I do know of one dog that took 45 days to see a big difference so give it time.