Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
for those that breed and follow Dr Dodds vaccine sched.

This will be my first time breeding a girl since the new vaccine sched. came out. My questions to those with exp. - my girl is 2 1/2, she had all pup shots and then the booster a year later-she should be covered for at least 3 yrs. Have any of you had any issues following this schedule where puppies did not get immunity or, did you just vaccinate before breeding as a precaution. I know titers don't always tell the story.
Thanks to all who respond.

Re: for those that breed and follow Dr Dodds vaccine sched.

I vaccinate annually for bitches that are being used in my breeding program and all other dogs are vaccinated every 3 years. I would suggest titer testing if you want to ensure that your bitch's antibodies are high enough to pass along enough protection to the litter.

Even though the vaccine is good for her for 3 years, it is basically a "watered down" version that gets to the pups- there is a formula, which I promptly forgot, but never the less, you should give her a booster before she is bred. Then the pups will be good until 8 weeks for Dr. Dodds schedule. Been following it for a few years now, no problems, no allergies either!

opinions needed
This will be my first time breeding a girl since the new vaccine sched. came out. My questions to those with exp. - my girl is 2 1/2, she had all pup shots and then the booster a year later-she should be covered for at least 3 yrs. Have any of you had any issues following this schedule where puppies did not get immunity or, did you just vaccinate before breeding as a precaution. I know titers don't always tell the story.
Thanks to all who respond.

Why wouldn't titers tell the story? Maybe you should contact Dr. Dodds? She is pretty good with answering questions. I'd be careful with vaccinating before breeding. According to Dr. Dodds and Dr. Schultz, there is a 14 day window after vaccinating when immune systems are compromised.

Best of luck to you.

Christy
I vaccinate annually for bitches that are being used in my breeding program and all other dogs are vaccinated every 3 years. I would suggest titer testing if you want to ensure that your bitch's antibodies are high enough to pass along enough protection to the litter.

WOW, annual vaccinations for breeding bitches, that's terrible. What are you afraid of and what do you think annual vaccinations accomplish???

My vet recommends NOT vaccinating right before you breed. I've never had a problem with pups not having immunity. I'd check with Dr. Dodds.

I've been following what I understand is Dr. Dodds schedule since way before I ever heard of Dr. Dodds. I can't remember the last time I vaccinated any dog I own more than once every 3 years after the 1 year booster. I don't do titers either as I am so confident they are fine.

To be totally honest, I never really thought about the pups. I guess I always assumed that if mom was fine, the babies would be too. But having said that, I have no indication that there has been any problems with pup's immunity. No titers or anything, but no sick pups.

what do you mean..."what are you afraid of?"

you should be very afraid of parvo, if you have never been though it you have no clue.

So long as your bitch has ever had a positive titer for distemper & parvo then you are fine...if you have never titered her,it might be worth doing a titer before you breed her. If she has a positive titer (no matter how low the #) then she is covered. The quantity of her titer will affect how long her pups carry maternal immunity....but if she is covered i would strongly urge you not to vaccinate your breeding bitch just before breeding...not good for her immune system at all!!!

anon
what do you mean..."what are you afraid of?"

you should be very afraid of parvo, if you have never been though it you have no clue.

Having vaccinations more often does not give you more immunity. Either you have immunity or you don't. In most cases immunity is probably life long once a dog seroconverts. I titer every 3 years.

educated bdr
So long as your bitch has ever had a positive titer for distemper & parvo then you are fine... If she has a positive titer (no matter how low the #) then she is covered.

Actually, titers don't really tell if the dog is covered, because it only tells half the story. High titers don't mean that your bitch will convey coverage to her pups.

Dr Hutchison explained it to me once, but a bitch that had a vaccine 2-3 years ago will probably not have a titer high enough to pass along a titer that would be high enough for the pups to LAST until 8 weeks. I did not say vaccinate before you breed, but vaccinate beforehand- well before you breed. Of course you don't want an immune system working overtime when you are trying to get pregnant! If it has been over 2 years, vaccinate the bitch a month or two before she comes in was his reccomendation. If she is already in season, then don't give her anything.

I got my info in above post from Dr. Ron Schultz who specializes in immune systems and vaccines...he may know a little more about immunity than Dr. Hutchinson....now Dr. Hutchinson i am sure knows more about reproduction than Dr. Schultz....just my research being shared....and now credited

Conversely, if you vaccinate too close to breeding, you can have titers too high for the puppy vaccine to overcome the maternal antibodies, which finally decline, and get distemper and parvo anyhow in the pups long after they should have been protected. (Pfizer Vanguard states,
"seropositive bitches may transfer to their puppies CPV antibodies which can interfere with
active immunization of the puppies through 16 weeks of age. "
Been there, done that, don't want to do it again--the pups were yearlings who got parvo at handling class months before they were due for boosters (After vaccines at 20 weeks) on ANY schedule. (They lived--Ka-ching$$$!) I repeat, I believe vaccinating my girl too close to breeding had maternal antibodies interfere with effective vaccination of the pups, especially since they were vaccinated with regular vaccines. So my vaccinated girls got parvo at a tad over a year of age. Use high titer vaccines on the pups to help prevent the situation I had in 2000. Since the U.S. vet schools are stating that the vaccines are good for 3 years AFTER the adult vaccine at a year, why on earth would you vaccinate her rather than titering her or just trusting the vaccines? Most of the name brand vaccines, if not all, are high titer vaccines for parvo, as opposed to the regular titer ones available 8 to 10 years ago. I can't answer about the off brand feed store or single shot vaccines, but the vets generally carry good brands here, and I would only order the name brands such as Vanguard Plus or Intervet Progard. Use only good brands in general. Vaccines can do damage to fetuses, so definitely do not vaccinate if breeding or bred already. Plus, remember that the vaccine at the start of a heat period will have possible adverse effects on immune system etc. for at least 10 to 30 days after administration. Most dogs will never have an adverse effect, but why chance it now? Maybe titer, or maybe don't bother because she doesn't need it according to the vet school schedules after all their research. When you vaccinate pups, maybe start with a distemper and parvo only vaccine, or a parvo only vaccine. You don't want the other components interfering with the immune response to the bad viruses. Either the adenovirus or parainfluenza components can cause problems in the pups--preventing them from mounting immune response to the DP vaccine. You also don't want to overwhelm immature kidneys under 12 weeks with the combo vaccines, generally.

Your girl should be fine if she was well vaccinated less than 3 years before the pups would be weaned. She will probably be protected even in coming years--parvo protection lasts at least 4 years according to studies by Schultz and at Cornell. As others have stated, if in doubt, titer via Hemopet and then ask Dr. Dodds for her own opinion. You could always breed her next season instead.

People make the mistake of assuming that vaccines create immunity when the don't. Vaccines sensitize, they do not immunize. If your bitch is out in public, she will get plenty of exposure to parvo (thanks to MLV vaccine shedding) and that immunity will be passed down to the puppies.

There is plenty of research showing that once a dog builds immunity, it is there for life so I would not vaccinate an adult dog for any reason. You get all of the risk and none of the benefit. In my opinion, the best thing you can do for your puppies to prevent parvo is KEEP THEM OUT OF VET'S OFFICES! Do your vaccines at home. I have heard far too many stories of puppies contracting parvo after vet visits and all it takes is the vet tech to miss one tiny corner of the table or forget to wipe the table down at all.

As for titres, they measure only circulating antibodies and not memory cells (which are the mainstay of immunity). If the circulating antibodies are not high, the titre will be low but this does not necessarily mean the dog has not built immunity: it simply means there are no circulating memory cells at the moment. A high titre is predictive of immunity however a low titre is not, that is the limitation of titres.

Quote: "WOW, annual vaccinations for breeding bitches, that's terrible. What are you afraid of and what do you think annual vaccinations accomplish???"

That's terrible? And just who made you the judge and jury of everyone else's breeding program? I think it is actually your rudeness and self righteous arrogance that is terrible but with respect to your actual questions...

I am afraid of sick puppies, a litter infected with parvo, devastation over the loss of a pup or litter, heartbroken families who have waited for months to bring their healthy baby home. I am afraid the new protocol is effective and advisable for adult dogs but does not address the specific immunological needs of a growing puppy. And I am afraid that if we find out later that this new protocol is causing more puppies to get parvo, distemper, etc. because the dam did not have enough immunity to pass along anitbodies then I will regret following the crowd.

I am going by my Veterinarian's advice to give my breeding bitches a vaccination each year they will be whelping. This was common practice for all dogs until recently and hardly a big risky thing that I am doing. Two additional vaccinations in their lifetime is far from the scandalous behaviour your reaction insinuated.

Let me ask you the same questions - just what are you afraid of Ms. *. I don't mean to be presumptuous but I am guessing that is not your real name. And just what are you trying to accomplish with your very helpful and informative post?

I only do the puppy vac's then booster at 1 yr, that's it for the reset of the adult life. The vaccines last longer then 3yrs, you can always titer if that makes you feel better.

Thank you so much to all the intelligent breeders who responded. I have followed Dr Dodds sched. for years for my adults, I just wanted input to see if there was anyone who had run into problems with their puppies (lack of immunity) from adults on this protocol. I know I have never in the past given another rabies if one already had a "3 yr" rabies vaccine before hand due to breeding-did not think DHPP should be different if it should also cover at least 3 yrs for adults. I always found it odd vaccinating every year from years back because as humans we do not do that to ourselves. Dr Dodds has done wonderful research that eliminates that need and I also appreciate all the input Dr Schultz has provided on titers.
I am going to leave her be and not vaccinate again as her last booster was only a year ago.
Thank you to all who provided additional information, I appreciate your time and input!