Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Genders in Pet Home

I would like some input on this. I have always encouraged opposite gender to pet homes which already have a dog. I had heard this is a guarantee there will be no dog fights, etc. This year I am meeting wonderful families insisting on getting the same gender that is in the home. How do you all feel about genders? Of course I sell with limited and spay/neuter agreement, so dogs are not intact, but I always heard females especially still produce hormones and can get moody with other females, a situation which a pet home might not know how to handle.

Re: Genders in Pet Home

I never got the gender thing.....I have 8 females and 3 males of all different ages. I dont have any problems with them.
As long as the animals are fixed and have been taught proper manners it should not matter boy or girl.
most of my dual owning families get the same sex and have no problems.

I agree with the original poster. been breeding a long time and my dogs temperaments are fabulous but I won't take the chance and will never knowingly place two females together and I make sure the family knows my concerns why (ame as OP reasons)and if they get a second lab it is always better to mix the sexes.

I have heard things like that before. Maybe it is true with some breeds. With Labs I never worry about it. I have several girls and several boys. They had better not say an ill word to each other. Some spayed and neutered some in tact of both. Heats come heats go, boy never fuss. Girls do alot of playing aruond heat time but all just deal and love the other dogs. Think it is all in the temperaments in your lines anyway. JMHO

JMO but I think it depends on the dogs. I've had two of both sexes over the years - some were easy, some...not so much.

To be honest, the only time I've had issues between two dogs was after my grandmother died and we took in her female Toy Poodle, and it was the Poodle that was the problem. I've had male dogs (pets) for over 30 years (Labs, a Lab/Eng Setter, a Siberian and a Sibe/GSD), as well as babysat a male Rott and a male Golden. Of all those, only the mixes and the one Lab have been neutered. My opinion is it definitely depends on the dogs involved as well as the owners.

I know the OP is worried about placing 2 females in the same home, but what about 2 males? How can 2 males do in the same home, both intact with females also?

Gender is not of any consequence. What's important are the individual personalities of the dogs, and most important is how dog-savvy the family is and how they raise the dogs. I have 11 dogs, 2 neutered males, 4 intact males, 5 intact females, from about 5 lbs up to about 90 lbs, 3 different breeds. They all run in the yard together in a big group and never have a problem. When one of the girls comes into heat, I make two groups and the intact females go in one group and the intact males go in another group. And they still all are friendly and happy. Never a grumble from anyone, all through the heat cycle.

Additionally - there are no guarantees. I knew a family with a spayed female and a neutered male that they had to keep separate. Same sex can have the same problem.

I have three intact littermate boys running together in the same house with a co-owner and they never lift a lip at each other.

In some breeds and some individual dogs, you can get sibling rivalry, and the risk is increased if the dogs are the same sex and if they are roughly the same age. Having said that, these are labradors. If there is the unlikely problem with sibling rivalry down the road, it is time to take a good look at the temperaments you are keeping.

I have had as many as 3 boys, 2 right now, and they get along just fine. The top dog will give a small growl when there is a bitch in season and number 2 respectfully goes away.

The girls are another story. Over 30 years with labs, I have placed 3 bitches when they became aggressive to other bitches. They can get moody and nasty. I should add that my dogs are all very mellow except for that. Nobody would ever guess the girls could act like this. I have placed them in single dog homes with full disclosure. Their new owners tell me they are angels.

The worst & most injurious fights I've ever had to deal with have been with girls.

As a general rule I recommend if they are going to have two dogs to have one male and one female, spayed/neutered of course. However, I also tell them that the most important thing is the temerament of the two, not the gender. If they have an existing dog at home and are looking to get another, I will ask questions about that dog to get an idea of what type of pup will do best with it. Matching the right personalities together, along with proper training and socialization by the owners, is the key. I make sure to stress that anytime I'm considering a home with multiple dogs.

I have had multiple intact girls running together almost all the time I've had Labs (over 30 years) and have never had any I've had to keep separate. They run in the dog yard together while I am in the house. I don't usually keep as many males, but I've had three intact males for 3 or 4 years now without any problems except occasional marking in the house. I also had had a number of visitors over the years. The only time any of these dogs "came to blows" with any of my residents involved a male and a female.

I just placed 4 puppies in my last litter in homes with older dogs. The two same-sex homes had no problems at all. One home had a young male and took a male puppy. They bonded immediately. The other same-sex home had an older female who was used to being with another dog. Again, immediate bonding. I placed a male pup in a home with an older female who had always been an only dog. That took a little longer, but I understand that they are getting along well. The one bad problem I've had was several years ago in a home that had an older male Lab who apparently had a history of being attacked in his home by another Lab. I was not aware of this incident, and his owners did not realize how traumatized he had been. I had met the dog, and he was very friendly. He went hunting with other dogs. But cornered in his own kitchen, he attacked a four month old female puppy and almost killed her with the owner right there in the room. So the history of the older dog is much more important than the sex. I am now much more proactive about how I prepare my puppy buyers for dealing with introduction of the puppy to older dogs that are in residence!