Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
shipping semen to Canada

It seems I am in a bit of a dilema.
Have a Canadian bitch using my boy and need to ship from the US to Canada.
Bitches progesterone was apparently 4.4 yesterday (Thurs). Fed Ex is telling me Tues delivery, well one Fed Ex place said Tues and the actual Fed Ex area HUB says Weds, if I drop off Saturday.
I am wondering what everyone thinks about the dates and are we going to be too late?
I have tried everything I could think of to get it there quicker. Unfortunately, I didn't know about the progesterone level until this evening around 4:30 so it was impossible to get it sent out today
It's going to Nova Scotia out in the middle of nowehere (according to Fed Ex).
I've never shipped to Canada before.
Any experience? Suggestions?
We are using Chill 5.

Re: shipping semen to Canada

Can you do a counter to counter to Canada ? Not many stud dog owners do counter to counter but these days but it might be the only way to get it to this bitch in time.

Can they get their bitch to a vet in the US? We have gone through this very same thing last year and had a miss due to the long transit time including delays with Customs. We are now going to bring her into the US and have a clinic receive the shipment for us as well as do the AI. Fortunately we are only 3.5 hours to the border and it is relatively easy to make it happen.

I don't think that is an option. Owner say they are 6 hours to an airport and I would guess many more to the US - they live in Nova Scotia.

Canada is not the end of nowhere .. However FedEx does not make it over the w/e .. what about shipping it via air to Halifax and them picking it up there.. Nova Scotia is not that big.

It would be best to ship Saturday BUT do you have a regular size shipping box? If the freezer bricks thaw the semen is dead anyway. Asking the box to stay cool for three days is asking a lot. Maybe you have the larger Camelot box and can use more bricks?