Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Nemex for 2 1/2 week old puppies

I have this question with every litter.
Do you dose your puppies exactly as prescribed....5 mls for 10 pounds or do you tend to give them a bit more. For example, a 2 1/2 pound puppy should get 1 1/4 mls.
Thanks

Re: Nemex for 2 1/2 week old puppies

I tend to err on the light side. The meds we use (not sure if Nemex, but it is yellow) is only 1/2 ml per 10 lbs.

My pups tend to be a bit resistant to just Nemex only so I start out at 2 to 2.5 wks of age giving the normal puppy dose for Nemex for a couple rounds then I switch over to Safeguard, give 3 consecutive days in a row and continue this every couple weeks till the pups go to their homes. My pups have never gotten loose stools on a good dose of Nemex, nor the safeguard. I do give plenty of plain yogurt and Pro Bios during all these wormings.

The right dose for Nemex is 1 tsp (5 mL) per 10 lbs of body weight. Try do do the best you can to stick to it. They usually like the flavor.

The right dose for Nemex is 1 tsp (5 mL) per 10 lbs of body weight. Try do do the best you can to stick to it. They usually like the flavor, so spilling is not a problem.

Re: Nemex or Nemex 2? Which one?

I agree, err on the light side. Have known some who mixed up the dosages between Nemex and Nemex 2 with scary results--the 2 version is twice as strong as the other. The pups were very sick and one didn't make it. Granted, these were not hardy Labs, but why take a chance? The company, who'd love to sell more of it, gives the instructions for a reason.