Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Co-owning a girl

Could anyone please take a moment and help me with items to put into a co-owner contract for a young pointed bitch.
I have sustained an injury which makes it neccessary to cut my numbers for the next year.
It would be a situation where she would be in a wonderful home. I have a friend who would show her and I would cover costs for one or two breedings.
I should be able to whelp the litter as the breeding will not take place for a year.
They would care for her on a daily basis.
If it works out, it would be great for them, the girl and me. I love her but think that she needs to be a princess in her own castle!
Items I am considering:
-Initial purchase cost?
-They take care of regular vet care, I cover all show and breeding costs.
-I would stay on as co-owner until?
-I thought that maybe I could give them a puppy out of the litter?
-What important things should I include?
I have never done this before so advice is welcome.
Yes this will be hard for me to do but she already loves these guys, so I think it would be a great home.
Judges, vet and fellow breeders tell me she is a beauty and will really be something as she matures.
Advice and help please as flames will not help.
Thanks!
PS-The possible new home are folks who have owned many labs through the years. They do not show or breed but are open to my doing it...

Re: Co-owning a girl

Every deal is different. My 2 co-owns are much more simple. They bought the dog full price. They pay for all up-keep and show expenses, if they want to show. They both expressed interest in learning, have been doing it with my help, but are under no strict orders to HAVE to show. If they choose to breed, the expenses are theirs, but I get full approval on the stud and get pick puppy back. Natually they do all the clearances and pay for that themselves. Once I get my puppy back or we decide together to spay her, I will sign off on the papers and remove myself as a co-owner. I am there essentially only to make sure that they don't do anything stupid with their first bitch.

For yours, I might think they pay 1/2 price for the dog. Define the number of breedings, 2 sounds reasonable. It would nice to offer them 2nd pick pup out of each litter or the option to collect the money if they don't want a pup at that time. I would spell out who does the clearances and pays for them. But it seems that after the 2 litters, you can sign off and let them be full owners.

3 words
DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!

I co-own a girl, there is no contract. Only co-own with someone you trust implicitly.

My two cents are if these are people just looking for a pet then just place her with them. No fee upfront. They care for the dog as if it were their own.
Show/breeding costs/fees are all paid by you.
simple
But they need to know that this IS a bitch you are using for breeding and the risks involved to her.

agreed!

You are legally responsible for a co-own dog the same as you are for a dog where you are the only owner, even if it doesn't live with you. It means that you need to keep records of everything for that particular dog including all AKC registration and breeding records.