Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
too sweet boy?

My mom asked me to post this.

I am a 14 month old yellow male. I got my CGC with flying colors when I was 10 months old.

Thing is, I am really, really, REALLY sensitive. Mom is not sure this is "typical" and maybe I should not think about being a "Champion". I did get best puppy and enjoyed my first showing experiences!

I sort of hesitate at new things, but never run or cower. It just takes me a few seconds to think about it.

Mom has me doing agility and obedience for fun(since 5 months) and I love them both and thrive on rewards and all the attention. I am super smart, am really funny, and am a big hit with all the Lab owners because they wish their Lab was so mellow, sweet and laid back.

I am an excellent dog greeter, I love everyone and am submissive by nature. I do stand up for myself, I am not a total pushover, but I do not like bossy dogs at all. I just fall on my back and pee a bit. I have been the target of 3 dog attacks because they knew I would not fight back! I just got up, rolled my eyes and went somewhere else to play......what JERKS!

Mom knows this is just my personality and she loves me to pieces. She says she knows how this personality came down through my ancestors. I guess what she needs to know is 1. Should she let me grow up some more before considering me as a show/breeding dog? huh? what is that? 2. Is this something that should be considered a huge flaming fault? what? well, that is what she wanted me to ask.

I am not shy at all, just submissive by nature, a bit contemplative, and not appreciative of being over dominated, it makes me fall over on my back and pee a bit...............I am a really cool guy, very laid back and not fearful. Can you guys help my mom out. She seems to have a lot of anxiety over this personality being something "undesirable"..whatever that means..........

Thanks for all your help.........L (that's what mom calls me, not sure of spelling)

Re: too sweet boy?

There are way too many dogs, including show Labs, who exhibit traits that do not meet the standard of the breed. Fourteen months is an awkward teenage age, especially for an immature dog. It is almost like being a middle school child in Lab maturity. Let the awkward new teen sniff new things, if just for a few seconds. Happy talk and don't make a big deal of it. There is a fear period around this age in dogs. Better sweet and forgiving than aggressive, but we don't want shy if that is how he turns out when mature. I just had my sweet but confident old girl attacked last night at class in our preparation for Veterans. Hug your boy, let him grow up, and give him confidence by doing maybe Rally or Obedience or something like that. Avoid dog parks if that is where he is getting attacked. He is of an age where he SHOULD yield to his elders, so he was a good boy if that's what it was all about. I don't want a dog who menaces and attacks sweet bitches, and I don't want a Lab who goes after kids and dogs like a herding or attack breed. I have seen both around the Lab show ring at supported entries or specialties. It is good that you are evaluating him. Keep evaluating him, but let him grow up. Next evaluation time is around when or after he gets his 2 yr clearances.Reminder:
Temperament in Standard:
"True Labrador Retriever temperament is as much a hallmark of the breed as the 'otter' tail. The ideal disposition is one of a kindly, outgoing, tractable nature; eager to please and non-aggressive towards man or animal. The Labrador has much that appeals to people; his gentle ways, intelligence and adaptability make him an ideal dog. Aggressiveness towards humans or other animals, or any evidence of shyness in an adult should be severely penalized."
Maybe the other dogs WERE the jerks, not he.

What do you all think of a 10 month old who is shy with unfamiliar people in some settings? This boy is all guts and friendly to the point of obnoxious in his own home and at show settings, but shies back from touch when out in public, on walks, etc. and will move behind his owner when strangers approach. Cocky as hell when on leash and meets other dogs, but runs away like a girlie man if off leash and approached by other dogs - but is not at all dominated by dogs in his own home???
Fear stage or ???

L. you sound like a nice dog and Mom just needs to remember that goofy boys take a little while to come into their own. I have a few of those, and in fact, their mom's brain didn't start gelling until....well she's past 4 now and still VERY goofy.

Nothing you discussed about his personality tells me about how he does in the show ring. Does he like it? I have one that almost sounds like L to a T but in the show ring, he shows me no ZING. But he does well at OB and Rally and, like L has his CGC already. And I love that aspect almost more than showing, so this one has plenty to accomplish while he grows up in body, mind and spirit.

I think boys require a different mindset. Are you asking because it's a question of how many dogs to keep? If everything looks good, but he's slow to mature, I would keep him. Everything else sounds like a dream dog to have in the home. Take him out locally, to shows you enjoy, and give it a whirl. It's the only way you can tell how he fares against the competition.