Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Absorbing puppies (update)

I just wanted to update everyone that responded to my questions a week or two ago. My bitch delivered a beautiful singleton black bitch by c-section (scheduled) this past Monday. This time, however, there were no signs of reabsorption. Nothing seen unusual at time of procedure. Now the question is, could it be the split heat cycle???

Re: Absorbing puppies (update)

I don't know the answer, but if I had a singleton, I would want it to be a black bitch! May she always be healthy, happy, and beautiful.

Ditto.

Wishing all the best that she turns out to be all you hope for.

I'm wondering if it could be the timing. I remember years ago when I worked for a vet practice. I forget now what the progesterone test was that was used, but it was inaccurate. I saw one puppy litters and misses. Even the tests today are far from full proof. I did a breeding using progesterone testing, (at the stud dog owners insistence) & missed. The next time she came into heat I followed what my males indicated (and what I knew were her days to breed), she had a litter of seven. Just a thought.

You need to catch the LH surge. We were having very small litters and misses until we started testing and catching the LH surge. Not all girls will follow the "norm" for progesterone .. some running high normal levels; some rising quickly; some rising very slowly. It costs more (on average we spend $600 timing a bitch) to run progesterone and LH. You need to run the prog and LH sometimes every other day starting at day 5-7. Once you have a strong positive for LH, this is day "0". Then you breed days 4 and 6, or if doing a surgical or transcervical, any 1 of days 4, 5, or 6.