Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Another view of service dogs

The previous thread contains several horror stories related to service dogs. I do not think they are typical, and certainly not at Paws. However, I will relay some of the concerns that have been expressed to Julie at Paws. Perhaps this is an opportune time to do so, as they seem to need puppies from breeders more than they usually do and might be more inclined to listen to us. I, personally have been unhappy because I used to get framable photos of the dogs I donated after they became certified. Lately, if I get anything at all, it's a computer printout on non-photographic paper. One of my puppies was discontinued from the program, and i was not notified or given a chance to take the dog myself. Also, I don't understand their policy of accepting only young puppies.

For those of you who now have the impression that the horror stories are typical of people receiving service dogs, I include an email I got at the death of Shep, who, despite his name, was a black Labrador. Shep was donated to Paws at 18 months when his first owner returned him to me because of a remarriage. I corrected some typos, because I know the obit was written hastily and with great emotion. Otherwise it is as I received it and reflects what I believe is a much more typical attitude in recipients of service dogs. Charlie was getting a new service dog so that Shep could enjoy his retirement as their pet when he suddenly died in his sleep at age 12+. Charlie had resisted retiring him earlier because he couldn't face the fact that Shep was getting old. People at Paws finally convinced him to get a new dog, who had to pass Shep's inspection before Charlie would take him.

"It is with great sadness that I tell you that Shep passed away in his sleep last Friday night. I guess his great heart (I know it was a very big heart) finally gave out. I have been devastated. Shep and I were together for over nine years. He first came to me the last week of January of 1997. Through everything, he and I have been together 24 hours a day for all that time. He was a smart and willing helper. At first, he pulled my wheelchair, but within six months of him coming to me I moved to an electric chair. Most of his work was retrieving. Picking up of anything and everything that I dropped on just needed and could not reach. It could be a stray sock from the laundry to my car keys to the seat belt that fell to the floor. He even would retrieve a pop bottle that fell on the floor at 2:00am in the morning.
As you know, Shep was to be retired. We had met the successor dog
(Shep met him and approved), and we're within days of hearing about the
new dogs arrival. Shep was to get a well deserved rest and retirement.
We had begun to leave him home on some outings because he was tired and
to get him used to not going all the time. He was OK with that. We
have tickets to the Detroit Tigers baseball team this summer. Most all
of the games were Sunday afternoon. After one very hot and sunny day at the game, we felt that it was too much for him, so the last couple of games we left him home and like I said he was OK with that.
Friday during the day, I made a trip out and he elected to stay
home. When I got home he was full of energy and wanted to play. The
family went to dinner Friday evening and everything was fine. When we
got home he even got in the mood to run around the condo for a couple of minutes. In the middle of the night, my wife found him dead as she went to the bathroom. We moved him to his bed and pulled him to the garage. Animal control came Saturday morning and took him away.
As I said my goodbye to Shep with tears streaming down my cheeks,
also my wife and daughter, and even the lady from animal control crying, I petted his great head and told him he still had one more task to perform, it will be Shep that holds open the door to heaven for me when I enter.
Peggy, it has been an honor and a privilege to have known such a
great dog. You have every reason to be proud of being Shep's "birth
Mom". Thank you very much for allowing me to be a part of the life of
such a great and wonderful animal.

Re: Another view of service dogs

Peggy,
Thank you for posting this.

For the record, I don't think that Ricky's experience is typical, but feel it's important to share as a cautionary tale, so people know that all guide dog schools are not created equal. I do think most service dogs are very well loved and treated and live wonderful lives where they spend all of their time with those they love the most. Shep was obviously a very, very well loved family member and what a wonderful family to write you this email in their time of grief.

I never met Charlie face to face, but he must be a great guy. He submitted a list of requests supposedly from Shep for training and equipment for service dogs visiting Las Vegas that was hilarious, ranging from special vests with pockets for change to a portable tree for the long flight in the airplane to suspension of the rules about feeding dogs while they were working so that he could take advantage of all the free food.

Note to self:

Do not read these beautiful tributes while at work. People walk by your office and see the tears and then ask if you're ok.

Peggy, thanks for sharing this story and for sharing Shep with Charlie and his family. Seems Shep was practicing running and playing on his last day, readying himself for the Bridge.