Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
False Pregnancy

How far will a bitch take it with a false pregnancy?

I have a young bitch who experienced a first season March 10th, 2009. She was kept separate from the boys up until her last day of bleeding: April 9th, 2009.

A month ago, she was whimpering in the night carrying a sock around in her mouth.

Last night, I noticed she had some discharge from her vulva , it was white and milky. While I was brushing her, her teats seemed a bit full, maybe even a bit flabby. One of her teats was leaking milk. Not clear colostrum.

I have felt her all over and feel nothing in there but then again, I am not a vet.

Even if she was late ovulating, this would put her well over 70 days. Should I rush her in to the vet for an x-ray?

Re: False Pregnancy

This just happened w/ one of my maiden bitches as well. To be safe, I took her in for an xray even though I was sure there were no mis-haps. Best to be safe.

I've never experienced this with a virgin, however, I did have one of my experienced girls go through one once during a season in which she obviously was not bred. She got fat, produced some milk, and even nested, whining and digging. After about a week or two of nesting with no delivery, she let it go, and hasn't had a faulse pregnancy since. I don't recall the exact timeframe of it all, but it seems to me it was about the same as if she had been bred, exept the nesting lasted longer--altogether probably lasted around 8 to 10 weeks from the end of her heat.

NOT PREGNANT is our result this morning. It seems she has a textbook case of a false pregnancy.

Not just relieved that she is not pregnant due to her age and lack of clearances, but also relieved that I don't have to guess who the father is- nor be worried that it was my young pup who himself does not have any clearances.

Thank you for the insight into this everyone. I spent most of the day with the search results on the forum seeking out other posts regarding this.