Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Continental Kennel Club - Who knows about

I have stumbled across this club. Is it a legitimate club. Can you show puppies that are registered with this club and are they all pedigree dogs?

Thanks

Re: Continental Kennel Club - Who knows about

I believe you could cross a lizard with a cow and register the offspring. Sorry. This is just a pet registery. They will accept ANY cross and give it a fancy name.

Ditto. It's basically a puppy mill registry.

AKC is also a puppy mill registry.

AKC is the only official registry for Labradors. Continental Kennel Club was established for puppy mills to be able to "register" dogs and puppies in order to be able to sell them with "papers". There is no track of parentage, and they register anything, as soon as you pay the fee. Most people don't know a thing about it, and they are just happy to get a puppy with "papers".
CKC are worth nothing. Not to be confused with Canadian Kennel Club.
If you got a puppy with CKC papers, sorry.
If you are considering buy a puppy with CKC papers, run from it.....

Continental KC is just as good as UKC.
Pretty much worthless!!

We could go round and round about what constitutes a puppy mill. The term puppy mill in itself is a term coined by the AR people. They think EVERYONE who breeds dogs and turns out puppies is a puppy mill. So please STOP with throwing that term around! We are fighting a uphill battle when we divide ourselves and think we are elitist among the dog fancy and are therefore untouchable when it comes to antibreeding legislation. WE ARE NOT and whether we like to see puppies breed in high volume, sold through petstores, etc as long as there is a market, someone will be cashing in. I know of quite a few "show" breeders who also breed in volume too. Is that wrong too? If we keep dividing ourselves into what *WE* think is right and wrong, we will be so few that we can't possibly stand up to the pending antibreeding laws. There are plenty of laws on the books now that protect these dogs and if they were enforced, then there is no need to present more. And it doesn't matter whether you have 2 dogs or 200 dogs. If you don't take care of them properly, you are breaking the law.

Now with that said, The Continental Kennel Club (ConKC) not CKC as those initials belong to the respected Candian Kennel Club, was established as a place for "high volume" breeders to go to to continue registering their dogs once they were suspended from AKC. These breeders were inspected by AKC and found not in compliance with AKC's record and indentification policies. Some may have been suspended for falsifying records or others because their dogs were kept in unclean conditions. But for whatever reasons these high volume breeders, knowing papers bring a higher price for puppies, formed their own registry to get away from all that "strictness" at AKC. To make more money, they opened their registry up to just about anything. It also didn't matter if your dog was AKC registered with a co-owner, you could get your dog free and clear through ConKC.

So it just comes down to whether or not it is a reputable club. My opinion is NO!

Dianne Mullikin, EMT-B
Los Angeles, CA
GO LAKERS!!!

LOL
Pretty much worthless!!

Wow such a narrow minded statement. You obviously know NOTHING about the UKC!

Established in 1898, the United Kennel Club is the largest all-breed performance-dog registry in the world, registering dogs from all 50 states and 25 foreign countries. More than 60 percent of its 13,000 annually licensed events are tests of hunting ability, training and instinct. UKC prides itself on its family-oriented, friendly, educational events. The UKC has supported the "Total Dog" philosophy through its events and programs for over a century. As a departure from registries that place emphasis on a dog’s looks, UKC events are designed for dogs that look and perform equally well.

Our mission is to be the world's best registry of purebred dogs, to offer our customers the most efficient and creative services possible, to use our data to help our customers breed the best dogs in the world and to create a wide spectrum of performance and conformation events in which those dogs can prove their instincts and heritage.

The programs at UKC include Obedience Trials, Agility Trials, Weight Pull Events, Terrier Races, Dock Jumping Events, Total Junior Program, Dog Sports (including Family Obedience), Coonhound Field Trials, Water Races, Nite Hunts and Bench Shows, Hunt Tests for retrieving breeds, Pointing Dog Events, Beagle Events (including Hunts and Bench Shows, and Cur and Feist Squirrel and Coon Events and Bench Shows.

Rounding out the 'Total Dog' package, UKC Conformation Events are among our largest growing events. UKC dog shows are family events designed by and for the breeder-owner-handler. Professional Handlers are not eligible to exhibit dogs for others at UKC Conformation Events. At UKC dog shows, the emphasis is on the DOG, not the SHOW.

Part of our mission is to have events where all dogs can compete. In addition to our purebred dog registry, United Kennel Club offers a Limited Privilege program. The Limited Privilege is open to all dogs that are spayed/neutered. This includes mixed breed dogs, purebred dogs of unknown pedigree, and purebred dogs with disqualifying faults as described in the UKC breed standards. The programs open to Limited Privilege dogs are Obedience Trials, Weight Pulls, Agility Trials, Total Junior Program and Dog Sports (including Family Obedience).

It is our firm belief that the right balance between performance and conformation results in healthier happier dogs for everyone. We are proud that we share that same philosophy with our growing number of dedicated participants.

Essentially, the UKC world of dogs is a working world. That's the way it was developed over a century ago, and that's the way it remains today.

So would you be able to register puppies without showing a proper export certificate? I appreciate all of your comments. It has been very helpful. We had a feeling this is what the club was about but needed verification.

T Osborne
So would you be able to register puppies without showing a proper export certificate? I appreciate all of your comments. It has been very helpful. We had a feeling this is what the club was about but needed verification.

Last time I checked and this was quite a few years ago, I haven't really kept up with the ConKC, but it really didn't matter if you even had papers on your dog. You could just send them a picture with your application and they would register it. You could fill out the pedigree portion if you liked, but they would not check to see if it were indeed correct.

I had a Chinese Crested bitch that I co-owned with my cousin through AKC. She went ahead and registered a litter out of her through ConKC and I had no say about it! They didn't even question her or me for that matter. She paid them their $$ and got papers.

Dianne Mullikin, EMT-B
Los Angeles, CA

LOL
Pretty much worthless!!
It's sad to be as dumb as you:

Established in 1898, the United Kennel Club is the largest all-breed performance-dog registry in the world, registering dogs from all 50 states and 25 foreign countries. More than 60 percent of its 13,000 annually licensed events are tests of hunting ability, training and instinct. UKC prides itself on its family-oriented, friendly, educational events. The UKC has supported the "Total Dog" philosophy through its events and programs for over a century. As a departure from registries that place emphasis on a dog’s looks, UKC events are designed for dogs that look and perform equally well.

mills

JMO:
Things that makes a puppy mill:
Not AKC. (At least for Labs. I understand non AKC breeds go through UKC or other clubs) Everybody is AKC until they get kicked out, for whatever reason.
No health clearance as established by CHIC.
Animals kept in good conditions. Clean, well fed, Healthy, etc.
Puppies sold mostly through pet shops.
This is what I fight, and want to see them disappear.

Things that make a Show Mill:
High volume breeding. How much is too much? when you don't have the time to work, play and hug your dogs often. How much is often? I would say daily.
I don't condemn show mills. I personally feel bad for the dogs, because they don't get any of the advantages of been a little bit of a pet, like family love, socializacion, etc, but I would not have a problem getting a puppy from them. I know I'm getting a high quality puppy.

No, it's sad to be as disrespectful as YOU are. I didn't call you any names, but you stooped to calling me dumb. Real grown up of you.
UKC can claim to be as big as they want and as old as they want. The truth is the majority of the dogs they register and that show up at their little shows are pets or should be, and they can't hold a candle to AKC as far as quality.
I bet Cont. KC is an even BIGGER registry if you just want to count numbers!! LOL

bdr :)
LOL
Pretty much worthless!!
It's sad to be as dumb as you:

LOL
No, it's sad to be as disrespectful as YOU are. I didn't call you any names, but you stooped to calling me dumb. Real grown up of you.
UKC can claim to be as big as they want and as old as they want. The truth is the majority of the dogs they register and that show up at their little shows are pets or should be, and they can't hold a candle to AKC as far as quality.
I bet Cont. KC is an even BIGGER registry if you just want to count numbers!! LOL

Well I didn't call you dumb, but I did say that you were narrow minded-and that is an observation rather than name calling. However if you want to talk about being disrepectful perhaps you should reread your post about the UKC. UKC IS geared more towards the performance side of breeding dogs for what they were originally intended to do! Many breeds that are UKC recognized DO NOT want to be AKC recognized because they do not want the *show* side, aka beauty pagent, to RUIN their breed! If you bothered to read my post regarding the UKC you would have realized that they not only register dogs, but they hold nearly 13,000 licensed events per year with more than 60% of them are perfomance venues.

UKC conformation shows, as they state are about the DOG and not the SHOW, aka no pros allowed. In fact they only count the breed wins towards top 20 rankings and not the group or BIS wins. There are plenty of AKC people showing quality dogs in UKC events. Many of those dogs are AKC pointed or are AKC champions. BUT AT LEAST PEOPLE ARE DOING SOMETHING WITH THEIR DOGS!

And for what it's worth I have finished a few UKC champions that were also AKC pointed as well. In fact my latest UKC Champion that I co-own is now a BISS winner at an AKC Specialty. A UKC champion is only as good as the competition it is competing with. Just as an AKC champion can be as good as the handler showing it! UKC is a great alternative to the sometime expensive and snobbish world of AKC.

Just my opinion,

Dianne Mullikin, EMT-B
Los Angeles, CA

I did not accuse you of calling me dumb. That was another poster, whom I quoted.

But you saying "Just as an AKC champion can be as good as the handler showing it! UKC is a great alternative to the sometime expensive and snobbish world of AKC" is just as narrow minded and offensive as what I did say about UKC.

I don't have any concerns about what UKC says or does. I was stating an opinion and I did not resort to name calling like the other poster who called me dumb.

I just stated that IMO, UKC and Cont. KC are worthless registries, regardless of how many people use them. Numbers don't make quality, and the same goes for AKC. They fact is, UKC & Cont. KC are alternative registries to the AKC and they are used frequently by people who either are suspended by AKC (as someone else pointed out) or who can't breed on their AKC registration. I will add that their events are poorly run and low quality as well, when compared to AKC.
To your comment about handlers, sometimes that is true yes, but isn't that a part of any real competative venue?
UKC makes me think of those days when I was a kid and you went to a "game" of some sort and since you were a child, no one won and everyone got a prize

Dianne Mullikin
LOL

Well I didn't call you dumb, but I did say that you were narrow minded-and that is an observation rather than name calling. However if you want to talk about being disrepectful perhaps you should reread your post about the UKC. UKC IS geared more towards the performance side of breeding dogs for what they were originally intended to do! Many breeds that are UKC recognized DO NOT want to be AKC recognized because they do not want the *show* side, aka beauty pagent, to RUIN their breed! If you bothered to read my post regarding the UKC you would have realized that they not only register dogs, but they hold nearly 13,000 licensed events per year with more than 60% of them are perfomance venues.

UKC conformation shows, as they state are about the DOG and not the SHOW, aka no pros allowed. In fact they only count the breed wins towards top 20 rankings and not the group or BIS wins. There are plenty of AKC people showing quality dogs in UKC events. Many of those dogs are AKC pointed or are AKC champions. BUT AT LEAST PEOPLE ARE DOING SOMETHING WITH THEIR DOGS!

And for what it's worth I have finished a few UKC champions that were also AKC pointed as well. In fact my latest UKC Champion that I co-own is now a BISS winner at an AKC Specialty. A UKC champion is only as good as the competition it is competing with. Just as an AKC champion can be as good as the handler showing it! UKC is a great alternative to the sometime expensive and snobbish world of AKC.

Just my opinion,

Dianne Mullikin, EMT-B
Los Angeles, CA

Thank you very much & very well said, Dianne! It is quite obvious from LOL's statements that he/she knows very little of which they speak. In fact, he/she likely hasn't even been to a UKC event recently.

However, I am saddened by the fact that he/she has now chosen to throw stones at the hard working folks who volunteer all their time and energy to put on such wonderful events. Perhaps, he/she has never been a volunteer for anything? I, for one, have volunteered more time than I can recall for our local clubs- and, no, I don't say that expecting any proverbial pats on the back as I enjoy doing it. It's painfully obvious that, whoever LOL is, he/she does not share the same respect for fellow volunteers. It's extremely sad that someone can have such a blatant lack of respect.

Actually, I have volunteered many times for AKC shows and hunt tests. I enjoy it very much!

I have never, nor will I ever enter or volunteer at a UKC show however. I have been to a few to watch just because they were in the area and I wanted to check it out.
I won't bother again.
So my opinion has been formed by actually seeing, and yes, it was recently.

LOL
I did not accuse you of calling me dumb. That was another poster, whom I quoted.

And I did not say that I called you dumb, just said you were being disrepectful of the UKC.

LOL
But you saying "Just as an AKC champion can be as good as the handler showing it! UKC is a great alternative to the sometime expensive and snobbish world of AKC" is just as narrow minded and offensive as what I did say about UKC.

Why is that being narrow minded or offensive? In fact you even agree with that statement later in your post. We all know that is part of the game and how some people can finish dogs that may not otherwise finish in AKC shows by putting them with top name handlers and sending them to different parts of the country where majors are easier to get. It's all part of the game and in the end, the dog earns the title Champion. Didn't matter how he got it, he is Champion. Like my favorite saying goes, "What do you call a Doctor who finished last in his class? A Doctor!" And just because a dog is NOT an AKC Champion doesn't in itself mean the dog is poor representative of the breed either. Not everyone has the time and money involved to campaign a dog to its AKC championship. And just because a dog has a show record a mile long, doesn't mean I'll be knocking down its door to breed to it. It also doesn't mean that it is wrong to do all these things, just as it doesn't mean it's wrong to finish, show or register with UKC! It's all about acceptance and embracing our differences of opinions. If someone wants to hire a handler and campaign a dog, more power to them. If someone wants to show a dog in UKC events more power to them, but your arrogant attitude of only AKC or no way, is what turns a lot of people off from AKC. I personally like the small family atmosphere of UKC shows. I love seeing the different breeds that we don't see in AKC shows. I love the diversity of the people.

LOL
I don't have any concerns about what UKC says or does. I was stating an opinion and I did not resort to name calling like the other poster who called me dumb.

I just stated that IMO, UKC and Cont. KC are worthless registries, regardless of how many people use them.

You tell that to the many breeders who breed top winning performance dogs within UKC that their breeding programs are worthless. Very nice of you. I bet those folks take as much pride in making up their champion hunting dogs, earth dogs, weight pulling, etc as you do with you making up your pretty little show dog's championship. Many of the long time UKC folks DO NOT ever want to be involved with AKC. Why do you think the AKC Parson Russell Terrier is not the Jack Russell Terrier? Because the breed club did NOT want AKC to use that name, however they are still registered with the UKC as Jack Russell Terriers.

LOL
Numbers don't make quality, and the same goes for AKC. They fact is, UKC & Cont. KC are alternative registries to the AKC and they are used frequently by people who either are suspended by AKC (as someone else pointed out) or who can't breed on their AKC registration.

UKC is NOT used by breeders who are suspended by AKC! The UKC has been around almost as long as AKC. You fail to realize that numbers DO mean something. It means there are plenty of good, hard working breeders out there, breeding their dogs for a purpose and PROVING their dogs can do the work. Do you disagree with AKC Field Trial Champions? Hardly the quality of what you see in the show ring, but they are bred to perform. Perhaps you don't get it that UKC is geared more toward the working dog!

However, the ConKC is one of the perferred "pet registries" as they do not hold kennel inspections, do not question parentage nor do they sanction any type of shows or performance venues. These types of registries, getting back to the OP's question, are not respectable amongst reputable breeders. I just take offense to LOL's comments about UKC being placed in this same category.

There are other "pet registries" as well as the ConKC which mimic the initials of respective organizations. There is another UKC which stands for Universal Kennel Club as well as the AKA-American Kennel Association, the APRI which is the American Pet Registry Inc as well as a few others out there I can't think of at the moment.

But as Kinderwood just mentioned, UKC volunteers do work hard to put on their shows. They are just run differently from AKC shows. I for one have enjoyed the ones that I've gone to. Oh and their prizes are so much nicer than what you get in AKC shows!

Dianne Mullikin, EMT-B
Los Angeles, CA

It is unfortunate that you feel the way you do about the UKC and their events. We show both AKC, and UKC,and have done well in both. To label the UKC shows as being attended by only pet quality dogs is rather simple minded of you, but you are entitled to your opinion,as we all are. We have both UKC and AKC champions. Do you see pet quality dogs at UKC shows? Sure, but you also see them at AKC shows as well. We love UKC shows because it gives us a place to bring the young ones out for experience. You can decide at the last minute to go, and still be able to register. There are 2 shows a day which allows us to socialize with the many wonderful Labrador friends we have made. At AKC shows, we show and then everyone seems to go on their merry way. Since there are 2 shows a day in UKC, people tend to hang around, and it is generally a very nice time. If you choose not to attend UKC shows that's fine. However, don't consider that they have no worth. We are thankful to have a place to get our pups(as well as older ones needing more experience)out in a show setting that is less stressful!!!

I agree Laurie, I have AKC champion and pointed dogs who are also UKC champions and grands. The UKC is the perfect venue to get a new young puppy warmed up to the shows. It also is a fantastic venue to practice your own handling skills. You cannot get this kind of practice or this type of experience for yourself or your dog in any handling class. To each their own.

Re: mills

So if a breeder who is registered with the AKC registers a litter they are ashamed of with Continental KC is there any disciplinary action forthcoming from the AKC?

Interested
So if a breeder who is registered with the AKC registers a litter they are ashamed of with Continental KC is there any disciplinary action forthcoming from the AKC?

No none whatsoever but if any of those puppies were ever bred they could never be registered with the AKC after being register soley with the ConKC. AKC does not recognize ConKC nor does it recognize another other American Registries.

Dianne Mullikin, EMT-B
Los Angeles, CA

I can't remember now, but there are some breeds that choose to have their registry with UKC while getting the approval from AKC, and AKC accepted UKC registered dogs for that particular breed. Once they became AKC, UKC was not accepted any more. Toy fox terriers maybe?

I don't understand this concept. Are they mix breed? The product of 2 siblings? Accidental puppy bred?

AKC does not care who you register as soon as the litter comes from 2 registered parents of the same breed, and they are of certain age. They don't go around telling everyone what people register or not.

Re: mills AKC- new rules

"No none whatsoever but if any of those puppies were ever bred they could never be registered with the AKC after being register soley with the ConKC. AKC does not recognize ConKC nor does it recognize another other American Registries."

Actually, this is no longer true. The AKC is now registering dogs from any other registry as long as you can prove "an unbroken line of AKC registered dogs within 3 generations". This means that as long as ALL of the great-grandparents are AKC registered, they will register your dog. They will issue a registration of the same type as your dog has with the other registry. So, if you have full UKC, AKA, Contintal KC registration, they will issue a full AKC registration. Let me find the specific and links for you guys and I will post it later.

No that's not true
Akc will only register if the breeder registers the litter
Unless you are talking about an ILP and that's not a real registration it is only done so you can enter say, obedience.
T
Akc certainly does not honor any other but foreign registries

No way
No that's not true
Akc will only register if the breeder registers the litter
Unless you are talking about an ILP and that's not a real registration it is only done so you can enter say, obedience.
T
Akc certainly does not honor any other but foreign registries

Yes, it is true. Here is part of the original information that the AKC sent out.

"AKC's newest registration service, Administrative Research Registration, is designed to serve breeders who want to restore their breeding stock's AKC registration eligibility. Dogs showing no breaks in AKC lineage may be eligible for AKC registration.

In order to determine your dog's AKC registration eligibility, staff will request a copy of parentage documentation, such as a registration certificate or pedigree from another registry or bill of sale. Should the dog be deemed registrable and is approved, the AKC staff will register the dog following the current registration fee schedule and an additional $10 registration research fee. ALL LATE FEES WILL BE WAIVED.

Step 1: Fax a copy of the dog's pedigree with customer information(name, phone number and email address) to 919-816-3770.

Step 2: AKC staff will review the pedigree and follow up with you regarding your dog's registration eligibility.

Step 3: If eligible for AKC registration, AKC staff will fax a copy of the Administrative Research Registration Application.

Step 4: Fax the completed application to (919) 816-3770.

Step 5: AKC completes registration."

Here is a link to one editorial:
http://www.thedogpress.com/Columns/Editorials/0808-AKC-Registers-Unregistered-Dogs.asp

There isn't a whole lot of info on the AKC website about this program. No doubt because they know it will make a stir. The one good thing is that if a dog's parents are both AKC registered, they have to go through the normal registration process. No getting around that limited registration. Here is a link to the Oct 2008 Board Minutes mentioning the program:
http://www.akc.org/pdfs/about/board_minutes/1008.pdf

Wrong again. You conveniently quoted only information that supported your claim.
The real story is that AKC is NOT accepting "other registries" as proof of AKC eligibility.
And they are not just registering UKC or Cont KC or any of those registries without verified AKC parentage.

Below quote taken directly from Dog News article written by by AKC
http://www.dognews.com/2008/60608/akcfaq.html

"2. Will AKC accept any dog from any registry?
No. AKC is not accepting dogs from other registries, but researching AKC registration eligibility. In order to determine AKC registration eligibility, the dog owner will be required to provide a pedigree for the dog in question. The dog may qualify for registration if the pedigree shows no break in AKC lineage and 100% of the dogs in the pedigree originate from AKC registrable stock.
In order to maintain the integrity of the registry, any dog registered under this initiative is required to have permanent identification.
A dog registered with an alternate registry will not be deemed AKC registrable without thorough AKC pedigree research. AKC staff is confident that the integrity of the AKC registry will not be compromised.

4. Will AKC accept parentage documentation
from other organizations for research purposes?
Registration through the Administrative Research Registration does not imply registration reciprocity between AKC and alternative registries. AKC does not accept paperwork from competing registries at face value. Staff will continue its detailed research process and will only grant registration to those dogs who show no break in AKC lineage and whose lineage originates from AKC registrable stock. Any dog registered through the service must adhere to the Rules Applying to Registration and Discipline."

Read it how you will, but I have a copy of a full AKC registration issued to a dog who was sired by an AKC registered dog, but out of a dam who was registered with an alternative registry. However, I am not at liberty to share that photocopy with the general public.

"The dog may qualify for registration if the pedigree shows no break in AKC lineage and 100% of the dogs in the pedigree originate from AKC registrable stock.
In order to maintain the integrity of the registry, any dog registered under this initiative is required to have permanent identification.
A dog registered with an alternate registry will not be deemed AKC registrable without thorough AKC pedigree research."

Notice it says 100% of the dogs have to originate from AKC registered dogs. It does not say that they have to be AKC registered dogs. You should also be able to reason that dogs registered with alternative registries WILL be accepted if their pedigree can be verified by the AKC. It says so right in what you quoted.

I think you just don't want to acknowledge that the AKC, in their effort to boost profits, is making rule changes that damage their integrity. 1st it is the Conditional registrations (dogs whose parentage can't be proven), then the ability to change registered names, then the Administrative Research Registrations and this fall, they will be registering mixed breeds. Hmmm...

I will contact the AKC on Monday and get the current details on the Administrative Research Registration Policies. Then I would be happy to share them with this list.

One must understand the contentious relationship between the two oldest and largest registries in the U.S. in order to grasp the significance. The competitiveness became outright animosity when Wayne Cavanaugh left his position as an AKC V.P. and went on to become the owner of the United Kennel Club.

Back to the subject

We have a con artist that has moved to NZ. They breed under the names of Silversky Labradors. They have stolen a bitch from another breeder and it went to court. They were allowed to keep the bitch but the papers were endorsed "not to be bred from lifetime and not eligible for export cert" He has bred he (twice now) and registered the pups with the CKC even though he lives in NZ. Their names are Trevor and Tracey Hindle and they breed "Silvers". We have had an ongoing battle for 4 years about these con-artists.