Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
horners syndrome

I have a 9 yr old boy who is being treated for diabetes.
This is recent (about 5 mos) and sugar has now started elev. again (no change in diet etc.), he is getting somewhat lame in his rear and now has developed horners syndrome, first in the left eye then the following week in the right.
Can anyone give me opinions of this whole situation-vets are talking about MRI's x-rays, etc. Seems like so many things going on, I'm not sure if all are related to diabetes or, there are more underlying medical conditions that were present and the diabetes really was secondary to that.
Any advice, exp. would be greatly appreciated-this poor boy is getting worn down and it is breaking our families heart. Want to do what is best for him-how far and what testings - I'm hoping someone out there has some words of wisdom.
Thanks so much everyone.

Re: horners syndrome

I'm so sorry to hear about what you're having to deal with. Here's a link I found that helped me to understand what it was all about:

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_horner_s_syndrome.html

8-)]

I, too, am sorry to hear about your boys issues. I had a senior who had two episodes w/ horners, same eye. No invasive tests, or meds, just time to resolve(symptoms slowly resolved over six weeks as our vets told us it would. For us, it presented about a yr and half later. We were reassured that our girl was not in pain associated with this. Our girl only had a thyroid problem- no diabetes. I did take it as a sign that her general consitution was not strong- so, I did take extra care with her diet, supplemental, we also saw an acupunturist & I believe this supported her.

I am sending healing thoughts your way- for your boy as well as all of you. Do read as much as you can on the net- there is some much great info that certainly reduced my fear for her associated with horners. One question I had was more rel
Aged to his diabetes- is it controlled? Before I would do alot of invasive stuff, I would consider a second opinion w/ a vet who specializes in internal medicine, as I would want to explore any correlation between horners and diabetes. Best of luck to you!

So sorry you for all you and your dog are going through.

My old gal developed Horner's when she was about 12. The veterinarian I worked with recommended chest xrays to r/o a tumor. If I recall correctly she had said that there is a nerve that runs through the body and ends behind the eye and a tumor anywhere along that nerve could present itself by causing Horner's. Thankfully chest xrays were clear on my girl. The Horner's eventually resolved with time, and she lived to be 15 1/2 (with a slight recurrence of Horners's probably 1-2 years after the 1st time).

Best wishes!