Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
recipe for forcefeeding

Does anyone have the recipe for force feeding? My daugher-in-laws Lab was just diagnosed with Lymphatic cancer and she has stopped eating. Chemo may be in the works, but I believe she needs to have some nutrition.

Re: recipe for forcefeeding

Try home cooking if you can. I make meatballs for the babies that they can't seem to resist.

1LB ground meat (Chicken or Turkey prefered)
2 cups oatmeal
2 eggs
a dash of garlic powder

Roll into small balls and bake at 350 for about 20 minutes turning over half way through.

My bosses dogs was in congestive heart failure and was refusing food till we got her on the meatballs. She is now doing really well and her medication is agreeing with her.

Any kibble can be turned into a liquid diet that you can force feed with a syringe that was going to be our next step if the meatballs were refused.

BTW these meatball make great Dog Show bait too.

Good luck. This labby will be in my thoughts and prayers.

When we cared for my friend's dog when she had cancer, we did a lot of home cooking for her. Her appetite changed. First it was by the day and then by the meal. Try rice, eggs, boiled meats, canned chicken (low salt), bread balls, cheese. Sometimes I made something just to through it out and make something else. I even bought some of the nasty canned dog foods that look like human foods just to get her to eat. Also try a dog bakery. Some of those dog pizza or brownie treats worked for a time. The lab is in my thoughts and prayers.

Fresh Frozen Bil Jac, thawed out of course, rolled into logs about 2 1/2inches long and 1/2 inch or so thick. Dip into hot water before consuming to make them slide down easier.
I am so sorry for your situation, as I have been where you are, but you also have to consider quality over quantity.

You can also use pelleted Bil Jac soaked with water, a balanced meal for the dog.......

Satin balls are usually irresistible.

How about trying some green tripe? It is very nutritious, and has a strong odor to entice her to eat.

Make sure you are ready to change the diet daily, when the dogs don't feel well they often, in their minds blame it on the food. For pure calories I love a product call STAT, K.V.VET carries a larger size. I also often use it on weak new borns, it's sweeet and the dogs love it. Most of mine perfer Costco roasted chiken to mine. Good luck, and I am convinced they do not fear the end like we do...they know they are going somewhere that they are incharge.