Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
How tall are you 15 month old Bitches?

I've got a bitch that is on the smaller side, although she might mature within the standard. How tall are your 15 month old bitches, currently? I'm comparing, as I'm new to this.

Re: How tall are you 15 month old Bitches?

new breeder
I've got a bitch that is on the smaller side, although she might mature within the standard. How tall are your 15 month old bitches, currently? I'm comparing, as I'm new to this.

I don't know specifically but I have a few out on co-owns and they appear very small! Mom was not that small at that age. They are both rather petite, within standard, but look small. I keep hoping for more to develop.

At 15 months old a lab should be full height. Growth plates close around 14 months if not neutered or spayed.

I've got a 15 month old that has been at her full height since she was 7 months old (how's that for the puppy classes!)her body is just starting to fill, but her height has been consistent.

I don't like the trend of the tiny girls, so I am very happy with my little one's 22 3/4!

I think a lot of the very common stud dogs used now are producing very small.

While some of us find it hard to believe, Dr. Hutchison says growth plates close with the first heat cycle. I would agree that it is likely at 15 months she has reached full height.

I'm sitting at my computer with a well balanced ""tiny" girl at my side. I"m hoping that she matures and grows, but I have to say that she is by and out of decent sized, nicely boned dogs. Not necessarily the "Newfie" type dogs I've been seeing in the ring lately, but dogs that could hold their own. One is a champion, btw. I'm wondering if these dogs really just want to be more moderate than many of us want them to be. It is in their heritage, isn't it? I was surprised by some of the measurements of historically significant labs in Mary Roslyn Williams book - they were not large dogs.

Plus, pet people don't want giant Labradors anyway. I wish we'd leave these poor dogs alone and stop trying to increase their size. Maybe there is a good reason why stud dogs are producing small.

whatever
I've got a 15 month old that has been at her full height since she was 7 months old (how's that for the puppy classes!)her body is just starting to fill, but her height has been consistent.

I don't like the trend of the tiny girls, so I am very happy with my little one's 22 3/4!

I think a lot of the very common stud dogs used now are producing very small.

My stud dog is NOT producing small AT ALL, please don't make a generalized blanket statement like that. LOOK at what the stud is producing!

Breeder
My stud dog is NOT producing small AT ALL, please don't make a generalized blanket statement like that. LOOK at what the stud is producing!

Maybe I should use your dog then. I have placed several wonderfully typy smaller dogs over the years, that would not be competitive in the show ring. I know of others who struggle to be competitive in conformation regarding bone and substance. Of course I'm not blaming any particular dog. sheesh. Just making an observation that maybe our dogs don't want to be real big.

How small is too small to show? We know everyone fudges on the standard in one way or another, would you show a 20.5" bitch, or a 21" bitch?

Don't take it so personal.

Breeder

Breeder

I would imagine any stud might produce differently with different bitches & lines Breeder? I think your statement that your stud dog is not producing small is also a generalized, blanket statement. How many litters has he produced?