Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
custom sized crates for van?

I am considering buying a new Dodge Grand Caravan and I know that our regular 36" wire crates will not fit across the back.
I have heard there are narrower wire crates that you can buy, but I can't find them.
Anyone know where to buy and if these will indeed fit in the new Caravan?
I am hoping to get 4 in like I have now in my older model
Thanks!

Re: custom sized crates for van?

I recently purchased a 2008 Chevy Express cargo van and we fit 3 Midwest ICrate's across the back.(Midwest Model 1536~36" x 23" x 25"...and they are actually closer to 22" as the back of my van is 69" and the three of them fit perfectly!!! That is the narrowest crate I have been able to find. They are on sale here
http://www.carealotpets.com/item-detail/?ItemID=1003b&UnitCde=1&Added=Y&Quantity=2

for $45.95...not sure what shipping is as I got them from my farm supply store where I buy my food.

I have "SUV" crates that are 36x21 and I got them from JB Wholesale. They are made by midwest.

Does anyone know if the midwest 21" wide ones do fit in a brand new Caravan?

I believe they sell van sized crates at PedEdge.com. T

I have a Town and Country (same as grand caravan) and we have 2 400 series plastic crates on the back, and they fit just fine, a few inches are still available to put something else like folded soft crates, you can also put 500 series in the middle, since the seats are stow and go and makes a nice flat cargo place. The dogs ride very comfy since it has an AC all the way to the back.

In your wire crates, I highly recommend putting in trays deep enough that when the dog is laying down, he or she cant let their feet stretch outside the crate. Or, put a plastic board between each of the crates to eliminate this as well.

We have had dogs that they would stretch out through the wire with their paws and catch their paws when they wake up, and hurting themselves. (This was before the trick I just mentioned)

what year is your T&C?
I believe they made the back narrower between 2007 and 2008?

Liz Baird
I have a Town and Country (same as grand caravan) and we have 2 400 series plastic crates on the back, and they fit just fine, a few inches are still available to put something else like folded soft crates, you can also put 500 series in the middle, since the seats are stow and go and makes a nice flat cargo place. The dogs ride very comfy since it has an AC all the way to the back.

If you are considering crates from JB pet they are offering .99 cent shipping through Monday with this code-090616a2. Just bought 2 SUV crates myself-they're on sale too!!