Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
How to name a puppy

At the hot post about erasing the kennel name, I saw some things I do not agree with.
My question is about how to name a puppy?

Breeder kennel name + Co-breeder(s) name + puppy particular name if there is space for it + owner(s) name.

If the owner of the sire is getting a puppy, they should be consider stamping their kennel name as an owner.

I'm I right? I know there is no written law about this, but what do breeders do?

Re: How to name a puppy

I chose not to put my kennel name on my stud dog that I bought from a breeder friend. Afterall, she did the breeding, I had no hand in it. (He ended up being quite popular). That was just my choice.

I don't insist anyone buying a puppy from me add me as co-owner either (even in name only). Also my choice.

Call it breeders option. There is no wrong or right way.

I've done it all different ways. When I register a dog where I wasn't the breeder, I've sometimes left my kennel name off completely, and sometimes I put it in the name. I've done (breeder kennel) Heybern (dogname) and (breeder kennel) dogname at Heybern.

I have usually done it "Breeder's kennel name" " Dog's name" at or of "my kennel name".

So what do you do when the bitch is co-owned by 2 people with different kennel names?

I had that once. As I remember, we used only the breeder's kennel name, as we wanted to use a fairly long dog name. I have seen some dogs that are registered with three kennel names strung together, nothing else.

But that is the question. If a dog is co-owned, both are the breeders of the litter.

When three kennel names are used the name gets a bit ridiculous. It means nothing at that point.