Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Such a stark comparison amongst breeders

Since it's kind of slow here today, I thought I'd share a few emails that I received this week. It is such a stark comparison of purchasing a well-bred dog or taking your chances with something from the newspaper or petstore.

Here is the first one I received after rehoming a 2 year old bitch that I decided not to use in my breeding program nearly 3 years ago:

"Hi Dianne!

I am writing after so much time to let you know how Cyndi is doing.

As I requested from you when I first sought your advice, she has become a beloved family pet. Here is her day:

Her kennel is in our family room. She awakens when we come down, usually between 6.30 and 7.30. She never barks, save for a polite, quiet "woof" every six months or so, when her tummy is upset from something too rich.

First thing, we go out to her yard. She has a tinkle and then comes back quickly for her cup of kibbles. After which, she prances around us all for pets and perhaps a morsel of breakfast. If she has her way, we head upstairs for a "re-bag", when she gets into bed with her daddy. She cuddles up and falls asleep.

Once the morning routine is done, we head out for her morning walk. We have a mile long woodchip path along a nice creek and ravine. She is off leash and has many rounds of fetch, as we use a chuck-it to throw the distance. She usually goes off-road and into the creek for a swim and a few rounds of fetch in the water. After our round trip, we head home for a hose down/under carriage wash, and a bowl of water. After that, she takes a nice long nap.

By about 4 pm or so, she is looking for her next cup of food. No later than 5 pm, she has another heaping cup. By the time the evening routhine is over, she is in bed with us, cuddled up and much loved. Often, all five of us are in the bed, kissing Cyndabooboo.

I can't imagine another dog being so happy or so loved.

You have done so much for our little family. Thanks very very much!!!!"

And another from a person who went elsewhere (not to a responsible/reputable breeder and picked up a pup right away after the litter she was waiting for didn't have enough yellow females. I feel really bad for this family:

"Hi Dianne,
The last time I talked with you was 6 years ago regarding getting a yellow puppy from your Cherish. As you did not have enough yellow females we were out of luck. Since then we found a yellow female, we named Bella. We have had her since 8 weeks old and just recently lost her and are devistated. After 3 major eye surgeries just performed both cataract lens replacements and retinal attachement to both eyes we found out a month and a half later that she had leasions all inside of her liver and intestine and we just had to put her down. We are devistated because she was so young and hid it so well from all of us. She had such love for us and a will to live. We are so lost without her in our lives and need to fill that void with another lab. As I know you take pride in your breeding and try to make sure your dogs are healthy inside and out we would like to seek another female and if yellow is available or possibly chocolate through you would you let us know. There is a big part in us that is scared about this happening again with the way Labs are being breed these days. I did not know where else to turn other than you as a very good contact. Labs are truely the best and we feel so empty without her."

Dianne Mullikin, EMT-B
Los Angeles, CA

Re: Such a stark comparison amongst breeders

Diane, I can't imagine this thread will have many responses. You said it so well, there's nothing else to add.

You couldn't have picked 2 better examples of the ends of the spectrum. I loved the first email and hated the second. People will convince themselves of just about anything if it gets them immediate gratification!

I hope you will consider these folks for a new puppy. I know they made a mistake, and they suffered the consequences. Now they need a new love in their lives and maybe you can help them make a good decision this time.

Right on...
Diane, I can't imagine this thread will have many responses. You said it so well, there's nothing else to add.

Thanks, I just posted it for others to read as I felt so good to hear how well the girl is doing that I placed, who btw, is a Cherish daughter. Then I got the other email and felt so bad for that family. It should be a reminder to all us that, although we breed for ourselves, the remaining litter does go to pet homes. Therefore we should take the utmost care when making our breeding decision. Unfortunately genetics are one thing we can't always control, but a reputable breeder would have been there for this poor family and of course offered her education, support and above all a replacement. Knowing that these things can happen, at least a reputable breeder does all in their control to keep them mimized and hopefully prevent this disaster in the future.

Just my opinion,

Dianne Mullikin, EMT-B
Los Angeles, CA

Wow
You couldn't have picked 2 better examples of the ends of the spectrum. I loved the first email and hated the second. People will convince themselves of just about anything if it gets them immediate gratification!

I hope you will consider these folks for a new puppy. I know they made a mistake, and they suffered the consequences. Now they need a new love in their lives and maybe you can help them make a good decision this time.

I thought they'd be a great home, there just weren't enough girls in that litter. I remember this family well even 6 years later. Their dedication to this dog speaks volumes for the type of home they are. Unfortunately I am not breeding in the near future. But I will be checking with my contacts to see if I can find them a nice puppy.

Dianne Mullikin, EMT-B
Los Angeles, CA

Diane, you have good points but I'm going to disagree with you a little bit.

I hate to say this, but even supposed, ethical breeders can not do things right, deliberately. I've heard 3 incidents in the past week of breeders most that show their dogs often. 2 of these breeders have several finished champions, are in Labradors for a long time. 1 of the 3 hasn't shown her few dogs more then a few times b/c it costs money. She is small time but thinks differently, especially when it comes to whelping + selling her pups.

The stories I heard and investigated when I was asked for assistance from pup buyers were mind blowing. I heard mostly stories of greed.

I'm not looking to flame breeders of the same dogs I love but I'm disappointed in these stories that I heard mostly from the actual sources. They're all worse than the story of the BYB you posted believe it or not. You gave a good comparison but we have just as bad if not worse that are not BYB's or PM's.

There are good and bad apples in every hobby, profession or *business*. I hope these 3 are rare offenders but know that is probably not the case. I happened to hear these stories 1-st hand or became involved when asked to try to assist them. I will never get involved again, I was disgusted with the treatment of these puppy buyers at different times in their relationship with their breeder + the lies I was told. Once 1 of the pups go home, I am going to post the story without the kennel name of course.

OFA does not lie about clearances does it? Seeing a 20 page + contract for a co-owned show pup that cost many thousands of dollars doesn't lie either does it?
Labradors are in demand on the East Coast. Well, some breeders are taking terrible advantage of it. I could continue with more stories from the year 2009 but won't.

I'm sure you'll send this puppy buyer to someone with ethics + nice pups. I bet they wait for a good pup + listen to you this time. What a sad letter you got from no. 2 but they remembered + respected you. You'll send them in the right direction.

Dear Disappointed,

I share your feelings. I guess I've been around long enough to know who I would purchase a dog from or send puppy buyers to and who I wouldn't. Showing dogs is a very subjective sport. You have to develop very thick skin. Everyone has a bit different interpretation of what is correct and what they prefer in a Labrador and also what the judges put up. To be a top winning breeder, often times you have to breed in volume and keep a lot of dogs to come up with the biggest winners consistantly. I know first hand some of the practices *some* (please note I say some because not all are like this) of these volume breeders must resort to in order to feed their egos! So just because a breeder *shows* their dogs, doesn't mean they are reputable-it may be a sign of a reputable breeder, but not all show breeders are reputable!

Like you said, there are good and bad in EVERY REALM! I cannot stress enough that before purchasing your next puppy DO YOUR HOMEWORK!

I am sorry to hear that you are having your share of problems too. The best thing to do is get past it, walk away from those people and view it as a learning experience!

Dianne Mullikin, EMT-B
Los Angeles, CA

I hear this story played out over and over when I am out and about with my well bred, handsome and most importantly HEALTHY boy. We meet 2 or 3 lab owner’s everyday where we swim.

The conversation goes something like this:

Wow, that is a GOOD looking dog! "He has such a big beautiful head" "he looks so solid and strong" and "what a fabulous coat, that must help keep him warm when he is swimming". I graciously thank them for their kind words.

Over the course of the next 20 minutes they watch as my boy behaves well, swims and retrieves with strength and enthusiasm, without acting like a maniac. They see that perfect Labrador expression over and over, as he delivers back to hand and is playful yet gentle with all other dogs.

8 times out of 10 their dog is well over breed standard in height (4+ inches), has no coat, has a thin rat tail curled up over their back, a long snipey muzzle, cat feet and the demeanor of a skittish and unruly breed. Also more often than not, they are swimming their dogs due to injuries with hips and elbows. Most of the stories about their dog revolve around illness and injury.

They eventually ask where I got my dog and I tell them the name of the reputable breeder where he came from. I return the question and they usually give one of three answers: 1. the paper 2. a backyard breeder 3. bred it themselves

They often take note of the breeder I have mentioned and say that they are going to keep her in mind or ask if their will be puppies available from my dog at any time.

Disapponted bdr
Seeing a 20 page + contract for a co-owned show pup that cost many thousands of dollars doesn't lie either does it?
Labradors are in demand on the East Coast. Well, some breeders are taking terrible advantage of it. I could continue with more stories from the year 2009 but won't.

I think I know of the breeder with the 20-page co-own contract. While I think that might speak for itself, I would be careful about linking the price of dogs on the East Coast to demand. It's more than demand. I have close friends on the East Coast and my shock at the prices for their puppies was surpassed only by the shock of what they pay for veterinary care - routinely - for things like C-sections, litter health checks, breeding expenses (AI's etc.). I think you might be surprised at the difference between what you THINK the profit is on a litter after expenses, and what the numbers actually are. I know I was. Very few people are making a great living off their dogs, much less getting rich. And if they were, what's the big deal as long as they are really "doing it right" in every sense of the word? No one is in this to intentionally run a charitable non-profit.

Yeah, I'm sure you know who the breeder on the east coast is with the 20 page contract. Come on, get real!
There are LOTS of thieves here on the east coast with absurd contracts! Take yer pick!

Right on...
Disapponted bdr
Seeing a 20 page + contract for a co-owned show pup that cost many thousands of dollars doesn't lie either does it?

I think I know of the breeder with the 20-page co-own contract. While I think that might speak for itself, I would be careful about linking the price of dogs on the East Coast to demand. It's more than demand. I have close friends on the East Coast and my shock at the prices for their puppies was surpassed only by the shock of what they pay for veterinary care - routinely - for things like C-sections, litter health checks, breeding expenses (AI's etc.). I think you might be surprised at the difference between what you THINK the profit is on a litter after expenses, and what the numbers actually are. I know I was. Very few people are making a great living off their dogs, much less getting rich. And if they were, what's the big deal as long as they are really "doing it right" in every sense of the word? No one is in this to intentionally run a charitable non-profit.

Dianne, Thank you for posting this. As someone who is so very new to competition, but not to labs, I just want to point out a few things.
All lab owners start somewhere. People don't just automatically know to ask for clearances on the parents of the puppy, or what clearances to ask for. They have to learn. In my case, I learned about Optigen because I had a PRA affected dog. I never knew anything about PRA until she went blind. I've also learned about hip dysplasia, neutraceuticals, surgeries, and "breeder guarantees." I always thought hip dysplasia was, "something that happened to someone else's dog." I've learned about breeders who care about the dog and their families, and breeders who care about their bottom line.
The family who sent the second email is learning, just as I did. Your compassion for them is heartwarming, and I commend you for it.

I very much want to add that because of my dogs, I have met some VERY kind, wonderful and supportive people who have become very good friends. I suspect that we will remain friends for a very long time. Hopefully, forever. And yes, they are breeders. My life would have been very different had I gotten my dogs from them, but, I didn't know. I just didn't know any better.
Just really wanted to make the point that people don't just start out knowing what to look for in a breeder or a dog or in clearances. In my case, I learned through hardship. But even my dogs' hardships brought new friends to my life. And I am glad my dogs ended up with me, because who knows what would have happened to them?

Just my 2 cents
Dianne, Thank you for posting this. As someone who is so very new to competition, but not to labs, I just want to point out a few things.
All lab owners start somewhere. People don't just automatically know to ask for clearances on the parents of the puppy, or what clearances to ask for. They have to learn. In my case, I learned about Optigen because I had a PRA affected dog. I never knew anything about PRA until she went blind. I've also learned about hip dysplasia, neutraceuticals, surgeries, and "breeder guarantees." I always thought hip dysplasia was, "something that happened to someone else's dog." I've learned about breeders who care about the dog and their families, and breeders who care about their bottom line.
The family who sent the second email is learning, just as I did. Your compassion for them is heartwarming, and I commend you for it.

You're quite welcome and thanks for adding to my post.

No we don't start out knowing much and we learn as we go along. Sometimes, as you and this one family have learned, it comes the hardway--having to deal with these problems first hand. It's not to say I haven't had my share of problems from time to time either. But as most people do, we learn from our mistakes (and mistakes of others) and either become better people for it or we begin not to care.

I try to educate people, but sometimes they don't listen or get pressured by their kids to make a hasty decision as well. Unfortunately they learn the hard way. However, I always keep myself open to them should they ever want to come back for more education and not be judgemental. We all make mistakes!

I firmly believe that everything happens for a reason and what doesn't kill us only makes us stronger!

I am glad that you were able to come out stronger and have made some good friends in the process.

Dianne Mullikin, EMT-B
Los Angeles, CA

PS. LuLu THANKS for sharing about your wonderful boy!

...and Dianne, yes education is the key. I feel nothing but compassion for these folks as they tell me heartbreaking stories about their baby. I answer any questions they have and even share resources for how they can help their dog.

There are no guarantees even with great pedigrees, but the chances of problems are so much lower. I commend anyone who breeds for health, form and temperment above all else and hope to do the same myself someday.