Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rawhide Chew Strips

For those that give these bones to your dogs, it is known that they are the result of some cases of Gastric Torsion.

If you are giving these to your dogs - I highly recommend that you stop.

We lost one of our black boys this morning after he munched down on one of the strips, and needed a run to the vet because of the bloat it caused. Unfortunately we didnt get him there in time.

Rest in peace my happy boy.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I NEVER suggest rawhides. I have removed way too many surgically.

Re: I'm so sorry for your loss. I NEVER suggest rawhides. I have removed way too many surgically.

What do you give them instead?

Re: I'm so sorry for your loss. I NEVER suggest rawhides. I have removed way too many surgically.

Sorry for your loss, but I am not going to stop giving rawhides just because of that. If I stopped giving things that people have had dogs choke on, I might as well not even own a dog.

I am sorry to hear about your loss.
Many years ago I had a Rottie who choked on a rawhide. I had to do the heimlich to get it out and it scared the heck out of me. I never gave them again. I now give femur bones - raw fresh or frozen or nylabones or the stuffed marrow bones from Red Barn.

He didnt choke. He had eaten the bone just fine, but then had a case of gastric torsion, which was caused by the bone.

Something we cant control from happening with anything we give the dogs

Re: Rawhide Chew Strips

Jan
For those that give these bones to your dogs, it is known that they are the result of some cases of Gastric Torsion.

If you are giving these to your dogs - I highly recommend that you stop.

We lost one of our black boys this morning after he munched down on one of the strips, and needed a run to the vet because of the bloat it caused. Unfortunately we didnt get him there in time.

Rest in peace my happy boy.

I'm sorry for your loss. Did your vet tell you that the rawhide caused the bloat? I find that very unusual because bloat is usually caused by gas/air and I would be looking for something else that caused it so it doesn't happen again.

Sorry for your loss. I only use galileo and nylon bones. Never had a issue or problem with consumption.

Sorry for your lost. So very sad. Could you tell us if it was like a bone type, flat type, pressed rawhide, the little sticks ? Would appreciate that information as my bunch gets them all the time. Never the bone type that comes apart.

http://www.petnutritionproducts.com/BeefeatersHickoryCuisineRawhidesforDogs1lbBag-p-384.html

It was not this product specifically, but these are what they look like.

We never give the knotted bones. Too much of a chance for choking.