Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Who lets people "pick their pup" and who says "this is your pup?"

How many of you let people "pick their pup" (we're talking about after you select yours, and the rest go to pet homes), and how many of you , based on questionnaires and evaluations say "HERE, THIS IS YOU PUP?

Re: Who lets people "pick their pup" and who says "this is your pup?"

Some of both. After I pick my pup or pups, I try to match family with puppy personality. Laid back older couple or smaller kids. Lots of energy, young active couple or family. If I happen to have two males or three to pick from and they really want to they can. If they were first behind me and deposit came on time, etc.

My deposit contract carries this wording:

"5. Litters are evaluated for temperament and show potential at eight weeks. Nipntuck is responsible for placing puppies in the appropriate home, and first pick always belongs to Nipntuck for our own breeding/show puppy. Other show potential puppies are placed based on structure, and pet puppies are matched with homes based on temperament. While individuals are always welcome to give input and are often accommodated, please understand we have decades of experience in this field and will make the match we feel best suits your family."

Telling people I pick their puppy for them usually brings a great sigh of relief, as that is a lot of pressure for folks. It also helps to weed out the rare buyer who thinks they know it all and doesn't want me making suggestions for them. Works for me, anyway. :)

Becky, I tell my clients the same as you.

Clients are totally relieved to hear I always have first pick or picks, that I know my lines and temperaments and will be picking and placing pups for them.

I tell everyone that I pick my puppy first, and then I make recommendations as to what puppy I think may be the best fit for their family. If there are 2 or more similar puppies, I do let them make their own choice based on the information that I have provided them. That way, they feel like they have a puppy that is also their own choice. I have refused certain puppies with big attitudes going to families that have young children because I don't want that phone call telling me their puppy is jumping on and biting the toddler.

I also pick the puppy for each buyer.
I explain the I have had 8 weeks of observation, over 20 yrs of experience and we do a temperament test that also helps see what each puppy is all about.
Those that don't like it can go somewhere else and buy a puppy.

i would be interested in seeing more of the deposit contract that was posted, i have been wanting to update mine, and if becky would like to share, would love to read it :)

I choose for them. I know the puppies best.

after my pups are chosen
I usually have a good idea which pup I want to go to a family, but usually I will give them a choice between A and B, that way they feel they had some say in their new family member

When people tell me they like a particular puppy and ask if they can have it, I tell them I get first pick. I say that I will take their wishes into consideration when making the placements. I then ask them which other pup or pups they like. That is a good way to keep them from obsessing.

I once had a couple that liked a particular pup. The pup had an overbite and that made things much easier for me. I pointed it out to them and they still liked that pup, so when their vet found it, there was no surprise & everyone was very happy.

I pick / match puppy to their forever homes........

The pick is based on the 8-10 wks plus I live with the litter and what I've learned from writing, talking and actually meeting ppl.

This is made clear to ppl in the early stages, so....if someone has a problem with this then they are prolly not someone I want to have a lasting relationship with

I pick or "help" pick. If there are two with same personality. I let family choose between the two.

Families seem very appreciative that I get to know and evaluate each pup.

They understand I get first pick, that's the reason the breeding was done. They pick their own puppy. I recently had a litter, I decided on my pick then let the puppy buyers (going by whose deposit I received first) pick out their puppy. I had one puppy buyer who wasn't sure if they wanted a male or female do the Volhard aptitude test on the remaining pups to help with their decision. All worked out well. I can't imagine saying, this will be your puppy. They should have a choice and be a part of the decision. You have the puppies for eight short weeks, they will live with "your" decision for years to come. All puppies are sold as pets, so they are looking for a companion, not a show dog.

We make puppy placement decisions matching the personality/temperament of the puppy to the environment the puppy will be going to. Our puppy homes know this up front and they know that we are making our placements with the puppies best interest in mind as well as the families. I find that as the weeks go by puppy homes are eager to know which will be theirs, but understand that decisions won't be made until close to eight weeks of age. We of course keep from our litters as well and won't make those decisions until close to eight weeks.

I choose the pup for the family. Once a family got to make a choice between 2 equivalent pups.

I do the same as Becky. I choose my puppy or puppies and the remainder are placed accordingly based on their personalities/temperament. Family dynamics can vary greatly and each deserves a puppy that best suits that. If I have someone who wants a family dog / gun dog then I get the puppies on a bird wing and make sure the most interested puppy goes to that home. I feel it is MY responsibility to make sure the puppy goes to a home that is best suited for it.

What I have found is picking a puppy for people does a number of important things, as everyone as mentioned. First, it avoids the pressure a person feels having to make such a huge decision. Second, it avoids giving someone "last" pick. And, as everyone has noted, we simply know the puppies best. My contract also states that a small portion of the deposit is non-refundable after the puppies reach six weeks.

I had a puppy buyer who was first to send a deposit, visted numerous times, picked out his little female and named her. Within less than two weeks after taking her home, she was returned. He called saying he had encountered several issues (one including an elderly father) and wanted to bring her back. I will never know for sure what the problem really was, but she was definitely more out going than she appeared at eight weeks. My gut feeling was she didn't turn out to be the puppy he thought she was (or me for that matter) and decided it wasn't going to work. I was happy that I wasn't the one who suggested he take that particular pup. She's been rehomed and is doing wonderful. You don't always see the "real" personality when they leave at eight weeks old.

From a buyer's perspective I was glad that my breeder picked my puppies. I initially contacted this breeder looking for a black female for obedience. I ended up with a handsome black boy who is doing rally, obedience, hunting, and now that he is mauturing, possibly conformation. About a year after I got him I lost his 8 year old housemate to cancer so I went back to her looking for another puppy. When I went to pick up my yellow girl she was kind enough to take the time to show me her pick and why, the puppy she chose for me and why, and evaluated the other 2 girls. She is now about 5 months and I absolutely adore her-she is quite the loooker(hopefully a show prospect) and I love her personality! She fits perfectly in my household.

They always pick their own from whats available. That way there is no saying..."Thats the one you picked for me" if it is'nt working out. I agree with you can't tell too much at 8 weeks. We always give our input and give them plenty of time to spend choosing.
JMO

Laura
I choose for them. I know the puppies best.
I do the same. Sometimes I let the buyer think it's all their idea when I have the pup chosen for them.

We live with the pups for their first 8 weeks, we know them better and if we TT them we know more.

If buyers don't like it, they can go elsewhere. I make it clear from the beginning. If they give me a hard time I tell them to find another breeder that will give the first pick of the litter.

I'm told this forum is now better moderated. I hope that's true. A friend indicated I may be interested in this thread. She was right.

I let them pick.

I wrote an article on the topic:
http://www.blueknightlabs.com/content/view/12/28/

I guide them, and I answer all their questions about each puppy. As someone said before, I know the puppies better than anyone. But, the families know their family and lifestyle better than anyone, so it is only right and fair that they apply that knowledge, combined with the information I give them, to pick out their new family member.

Dian

Excellent article, thanks for posting!

Dian, Fantastic common sense you have. It is so easy for puppy buyers to get caught up in all of the mumbo jumbo they read on the internet. Love your simple straightforward approach. Kudo's to you

Dian, I loved your article. Your description was so well thought out and funny too. Do you mind other breeders using your article if they give you author's credit and/or link to your website?

Mary Roseberry
Do you mind other breeders using your article if they give you author's credit and/or link to your website?

Mary,

*If they ask me first*, and with the annotations above, I would give permission. I never give blanket permission via any forum, especially one where the majority of people are anonymous.

I made some changes to it this morning. I had forgotten my story about Lil (a tiny puppy that I couldn't give away) being on there, and sadly, she later had a pyo and was spayed (drat!). I don't own her anymore, and the article might have encouraged folks to look for her within my dogs, so I just changed a sentence and added photos of her.

Dian

Dian, thank you for your response. I will e-mail you privately.