Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Horse Mats...

I have fallen in love with a Tractor Supply store in the neighboring town of Flemington on Route 31. I, typically, go ga ga over hardware stores, but this store was almost a life changing experience!

The store carries horse mats (4x6) for a great price. I would have to score them and cut to fit in the garage kennels, but feel it would be a lot better than the hard ground they are on now.

My question is... The mats had a smell (maybe rubber?). Would this in any way harm the dogs or a recently bred girl?

Thanks for your wisdom!

Best,
Michael

Re: Horse Mats...

Hey Michael,

I have the horse mats - I've not had a problem with pregnant girls, and the smell dissipates quickly. I've got them both inside (cut up smaller so I can move them) and whole, outside.

We just bought them and cut them to fit the crates in my van. I could smell them at first, but the smell did go away in a couple of weeks. I have had them in my garage kennels with no problem. I did see some that were smooth without grooves or bumps. The girl got them in Michigan but not at a common store like TSC. I wish I had seen hers before I bought mine. They are out there. I love them for the van because they are good footing for the dogs if they want to brace themselves on turns, especially green dogs on their first trips. The bad part is no outer lip to catch fluids or accidents if they have one.

I've had them in my kennel building on the inside of the indoor/outdoor runs for over 20 years. The first set was purchased at the Tractor Supply Store, we are now on the second set , they were purchased at a horse supply store for a cheaper price. The original ones were 3/4 inch thick and were just brutal to cut and handle, the new ones are only 1/2 inch thick and much more managable.

Deb, where did you get thinner ones?

What are you using to cut them with?

We have had the bid heavy-duty ones outside for years and they're still as good as new... but, as mentioned, heavy as lead! For the whelping box, I found the rubber matting in a roll (like wall-to-wall carpeting) and had the farm supply store cut it for us. It's about one third of the thickness and easier to fit into kennels, etc..

TSC aka Tractor Supply Co., is my FAVORITE place to visit they've recently arrived in Maine and NH !! The very best prices on quality food / supplies for dogs and horses around here!

My mats were purchased 10 yrs ago at Paris Farmers Union and are quite thick, Hubby used a power saw of some sort to cut them.

At a horse supply store called Cashmans,

http://www.cashmans.com/cashman/ca_webprod.nsf/?Open

Try this link.

deb

Michael, We have been using them for years. No problem at any time.

I got them for the winter cooler month, but as the warmer weather came, the dogs started to dig on them. I pull them out, and will use them when it cools down again. The smell went away in a couple of days. I have them in my garage.

Al cuts ours with a sabre saw or jig saw. The blad is about 4 or 6 inches long and allows you to follow a marked line on whatever you are cutting. For these you need to mark them with a pencil with a while or light lead.

Thanks Deb. I will check out Cashmans!

I like FarmTek's hog mats they are smaller, easy to pick up, and have a lip around the edge to catch spills etc. They have a web site, and a great catalog.

I got mine at TSC too. The smell went away in like a day.

I have the horse stall mats from TSC in the stable in the stalls and down the aisle... yes they are very heavy. I haven't been totally happy with the quality because some of the more recently laid ones (within the last 8 months) in the aisle are tearing at the long side edges. I think they have a warranty, so I'm going to try and exchange them. Tractor Supply is usually very good about returns no matter what the reason.

Under my indoor kennels I have the rubber pick up truck bed mats. They come in 5 x 7 and 6 x 8. I think they're a bit more expensive than the stall mats though. Have had the same ones for going on 15 years no problems, no tears.

For those in PA they just opened a New TSC in Nazareth PA..Have been there several times and love it! I can now by food there...they carry several and I feed Taste of the Wild and is a couple of $$ cheaper than anywhere else! They also carry Diamond Brand and Blue buffalo

Michael Silva
I, typically, go ga ga over hardware stores, but this store was almost a life changing experience!

I know what you mean. TSC changed my life too.

Make sure the dogs do not chew, they are a petrolium
based product (thus the smell) can cause major digestive upset if ingested. I have been using them for about 20 years, started with the horse mats, heavy
as heck, difficult to move and clean. I now use the lighter weight ribbed mats. The dog can if the are
persistant dig through them. I am slowly switching to the dog decks. They are not cheap, but they are
amazing. They come in 2x4 sections. Very durable and
easy to lock together and take apart to clean.

I would air them out before use then rinse them a few times also. Same thing as if you bought new bed sheets, boxers or briefs, you wash them first.......well I sure hope you do Mikey.

It sounds as if Tractor Supply has a new friend.

Yes, I was going to say,,,we bought one of those heavy duty horse stall mats years ago . I no sooner put the mat down and got busy doing other things. Came back half hour later to check on the dogs and found the beavers had chewed off corners of the new mat.
For the pregnant mommas, that would be my only concern.

You are not the only TSC lover, Michael. Heidi has found the TSC store also!! I also have the mats. I make then bigger than the kennels and have the edges outside where they can't chew them. They chew everything, especially when bored, including the plexi on the dog doors! The smell does go away.
TSC Sells the equine fresh that we use for the litter box when training puppies, as well as the bunny trays to put the equine fresh in. Check them out!
Good luck

I have the Ken-L-Deck as well, but have them held together with electrical zip ties.......my dogs wouldn't leave their locking things supplied with the decking alone, and can get them off as quick as I can put them on.....

It won't hurt them. I have used them for years. After a few bleachings the smell disappears.

Have them in my garage runs and love them. The smell does go away very quickly. I'm in the NE. My husband used a thingie that makes a perfect blue chalk line(used for making straight lines on walls) and then cut them with a utility knife. I will add that the mats fit like a glove in the kennel, so there's no chance of any chewing.