Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hypoallergenic dogs

My friend from work wants a dog for her kids, but they are allergic. They where hoping for a medium to large breed dog. she said she started researching but the dogs were all "ugly" (she wants a lab). any breed suggestions for her?

Re: Hypoallergenic dogs

The only breed I can think of that size is Portuguese Water Dogs, but they aren't exactly a breed for first time dog owner.

I'd suggest a Soft-Coated Wheaten, though again, may not be for a first-time owner. How about a Standard Poodle?

Patty Streufert
I'd suggest a Soft-Coated Wheaten, though again, may not be for a first-time owner. How about a Standard Poodle?

Well, DUH! How could I forget about those? Honestly, I think the Poodle would be best for inexperienced owners. They're actually nice looking when they aren't all "foofed" up for the show ring.

Please get her to spend time with her kids around poodles, although I am not alleric to most dogs I breaks out in hives when I am with poodles,my poor grandparents couldn't understand it :(

Poodles are a good choice - a cousin and a good friend both had them - they were tough outdoor dogs and loved it ... impervious to cold and water - cross country skiing and diving for rocks were their most fun activities ...they can be very cool dogs

Maybe it's from the grooming products? We had to ask the groomer not to put anything perfumed on the Toy Poodle we had on the farm because our friend had asthma attacks from them (he was at our house every day).

A well bred Kerry Blue Terrier makes a wonderful pet.

I recommend the standard poodle wholeheartedly. I owned one for 13 years and they are the closest to a Labrador you can get. Super well behaved and loves outdoor activities. Protective, but not aggressive. I still miss mine..(lymphoma). Also, check out greyhounds.. most are hypoallergenic.