Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
WCI

I know that AKC recognizes a JH as eqivalent to a WC, but I wonder if AKC recognizes a WCI. Any one know the answer??

Re: WCI

Not quite. The AKC does not recognize the WC. The WC is a title sponsored by the parent club LRC, Inc. The WC is definitely not equal to a JH.

The WC is to the JH as a CGC is to a CD. And it's only a certificate offered by the parent club and specialty clubs. It has nothing to do with the AKC, unlike the CGC (which is also just a certificate).

The Working Certificate is a CKC recognized title in Canada.

The WC is an easier version of the first level of retrieving tests compared to the JH. The JH can be made to be quite challenging depending on the judge.

The WC is more of an instinct test - will the dog pick up a bird and bring it back reasonably close to where it started, will the dog enter and re-enter water, etc. The dog does not have to be steady, the dog does not have to deliver to hand, the dog can be heavily encouraged to hunt and can be re-sent several times, etc. The marks are usually much shorter so there is no serious measurement of marking ability. Working Certificates are a great way to get started and determine whether the dog has some desire, but they do not specifically evaluate some of the components (marking, trainablility, style,perseverence) required of a started gun dog. The AKC does not recognize Working Certificates at any level, although the upper level working certificate requirements are closer to what would expect from a working gun dog.

A WC is a great place to start. It shows the dog has interest and can retrieve. Wish there were more of these offered to get new coming training. Sometimes you realize your Lab just loves it. And you feel quilty not letting them be trained more. JH takes alot more training, time, money to enter test. All fun.

I'm hoping to get my boy's WC this fall and start his JH in the spring. He's a natural and he LOVES it! It's so awesome to see him in the field and enjoying it so much(he only does obedience and rally because I ask him to!) It makes the extra time, money and travel worth it!

According to my understanding if you do qualify once towards your JH you are eligible to apply for the WC as long as the judge signs the appropriate paperwork.

The WC has a requirement that the dog display willingness to reenter the water, so in order for a single JH pass to count, it has to include back to back water singles. The judge has to be notified before the dog runs, I believe, and has to sign some paperwork. A JH title qualifies as a WC (and is so much more meaningful). The OP was asking about a WCI. This is probably a certificate granted by a local breed club, and may include doubles on land and water, which is certainly harder to earn than a WC. I don't think there is any mechanism for the LRC to automatically recognize a WCI as a WC, but maybe the judge(s) for the WCI could do so somehow.

I'm certainly not versed in how these other certificates are earned, but I know at least at one time there were WC, WCI and WCX titles behind dogs' names that I've put into my database from old Julie Brown's. Perhaps only the WC is still a test/certificate awarded?

I assumed the WCI was an intermediate-level, and the WCX an "excellent" level test, but that's just my assumption.

Anyone???

Patty Streufert

I assumed the WCI was an intermediate-level, and the WCX an "excellent" level test, but that's just my assumption.

Anyone???

Yes, the WCI is a Working Certificate Intermediate and the WCX is a Working Certificate Excellent. The WCI test requires that the dog do a double land retrieve and a honour, and a double water retrieve. The dogs must also go to the line off leash and must be steady. The WCX has similar requirements, except you have to add in a land blind and water blind.

The WC/WCI/WCX are all recognized titles by the CKC in Canada, but as I understand only the WC is recognized by the LRC at this time. The Goldens, Tollers, etc have the WCI available as titles I believe by their parent clubs in the US and I think the flatcoats may have the WCX?

Since the only Labrador "standard" working certificate sanctioned by the LRC is the WC, the components of any WC held by a regional club must comply with the parent club's requirements in order to be eligible for a WC endorsed by the LRC.

The AWC, WCI, and WCX are sponsored by regional clubs and can be constructed however those various clubs wish them to be.