Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Just ate a leather leash

Suggestion? Just had a dog eat his leather leash what do we do now???

Re: Just ate a leather leash

I'm with you! Mine ate a rope lead last week. Part of it came back up within a couple of hours. More of it came up yesterday. We're on poop/puke watch, and making sure she still is eating. If your guy shows any distress, call your vet.

Will probably digest the leather no problem. If he at the metal part it is pretty smooth will probly pass. But if he did watch for any discomfort.

Opps it just came up!! Thanks! Darn just bought it last week at the dog show too "thats my Labs"

LOL
one of my labs ate an entire nylon horse halter, minus the brass fittings. They were laying on the ground in a neat pile.
Some of it came back up the rest passed on through.
Labs!!!

This too, shall pass :-). All kidding aside, mineral oil is a great intestinal lubricant for passing, shall we say...Labbie goodies...

This has happened at my house a couple of times. Both passed pieces of leather over the course of several days and even one last bit about 2 weeks after. They didn't eat the brass clip.

This happened to a friend of mine while he was in the waiting room at the vets office.

The vet induced vomitting with peroxide and up it came.

Was quite embarassing for my friend - he manages a large animal clinic and felt like an idiot.

The dog ate it with my friend standing right there and just not paying attention to his dog.

So glad your dogs brought the leash back up.

If you catch the swallow within 15 or 20 minutes you can induce vomiting with Peroxide....something my doggy medicine cabinet is never without!

Linda Maffett
If you catch the swallow within 15 or 20 minutes you can induce vomiting with Peroxide....something my doggy medicine cabinet is never without!
Me too Linda. I learned from our old time vet with out senior labbie and never forgot. My mentor gave me the same information & when to wait & repeat.

Make sure you have the correct weight of the dog for the amount of peroxide. You should get that information from your vet including how many times and how often you can repeat.

It is a wonderful remedy. Some people use it without proper instructions to save the cost of the vet, please get the right dosages for your dogs weight by calling Poison Control or the vet's office.

Judy, I hope all came out fine.