Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
$$ back for big issue?

What do you all do with a puppy who will not end up looking like a good or even a purebred Labrador when it grows up? Let's say he has a huge genetic flaw like big white spots, dwarfism, or missing a tail? Do you sell it for a reduced price or give it away? It's long term health will not be an issue, only its appearance, but it is still WAY off from the standard. What if the dog was sold for full price, as a pet, and this problem became apparent as it grew? Do you refund $? How much? Of course this issue is not covered in the contract. TIA

Re: $$ back for big issue?

First of all, dwarfism is NOT just an appearance issue

I had one chocolate with several white toes. As I was thinking about what to do, a wonderful family came along, fell in love with her and paid full price. I had another that had the end of the tail bit off by another puppy after it was chosen by a family. I offered to take 1/2 price off pup, however on pick up it actually looked pretty good and the family felt they should pay full price and did so. I would never give a dog away free unless I personally knew the family, long ago as a backyard breeder I sold cheap and got poorly qualified families. The puppy still has an excellent pedigree and is well socialized, parents are health tested, etc. It is worth more than free. JMO

I have a tail-less (really a natural bob-tail) Labrador affectionately known as "Stubby." While I "rescued" him at 2.5 years old, I would have gladly paid full price for him as a puppy. My opinion is that all the puppies in the litter are given the same attention, care, and experiences. The puppies also should have been bred for the temperament of their parents, which is a hallmark of the breed. As long as the "defects" were purely cosmetic and there are no health issues, as one would experience with dwarfism, I would have no problem buying the puppy. The new puppy owners should not feel as if they are getting a defective puppy but rather love their dog despite its differences. It makes them unique and sometimes is a good conversation starter!!! Sometimes people are drawn to the "special" one and will be knocking down your door for him!

I know I'm happy with my special boy and I wouldn't trade him for the world.

I would want documented data on Dwarfism, do you know what that is, does the Vet that told them that know what they are talking about?
If the adult is just small , then that is cosmetic. If the dog has some white on them, that is cosmetic.
IF your puppy people are unhappy with the dog they have, then really you DO NOT want them to have that dog. As far as a refund for any cosmetic "issue" , NO , never! These are the people that some BREEDERS have CREATED , with all the this refund nonsense! There are "breeders" that pay this and pay that , and refund for most everything you can think of, the public does not understand the difference between a genetic health issue ,and a cosmetic one. They only hear the word "REFUND".
At the end of the day, you have a dog placed with a family that YOU screened , and they are not happy with the puppy YOU placed with them. Let your
concience be your guide. Do you think that puppy is loved and cared for the way you would care for it?

First and formost you must charge for the dog. You must charge at least more than the nearest medical research facility will charge for a test animal (usually about 85./per) or you will never know if your baby went to a good family or a good actor.

As for the rest, the fee is what the market will bear and the right family will pay. But make sure you have completely disclosed any thing that is of concern or potential concern. The right family will love the puppy no matter what

Well said EA

Years ago I produced a litter with all three colors. The probelm was that all three colors were on each pup. Yes, They were all Lab. Mom was a champion.
I told the vet about the pups and they told a client of theirs. The client had lost her Labrador in a horrible fire in a boarding kennel.
The woman had a dream that she was in a field and this tri-colored Labrador ran up to her and jumped in her lap. She came to the house and saw the pup. There was one left and she started crying. She said,"that is the dog in my dreams."
She paid full price .$600. So there is a dog out there just waiting for the right person

Great story Sheila

Yeah, I teared up at that one too.

I wouldn't sell any of the pups at a discount, you want the right family to want the dog for the right reason. If you feel like you have to "make up for it" some how, offer to pay the AKC registration or the microchip registration or send them home with a 40# bag of food. But charge full price for the pup.

I agree with "bdr". Minor concessions may be appropriate. The big issue is finding the right home for that special baby.