Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Where do you buy your crate pads?? I need a tough one for a chewer!

I just purchased a crate pad from a pretty reputable place and my puppy managed to dismantle it within several hours. The pad was deemed 'the toughest pad on the market'...however, not for this labrador.
I need a crate pad that really works! Or, she's going to be padless, because I can't be worried about her chewing her bedding in the crate while I am away...
Please help!!

Re: Where do you buy your crate pads?? I need a tough one for a chewer!

I would go with no bedding. My girl ate her bedding at 8 months old and we almost lost her - major surgery to remove the towel for lots of $$ too. If you feel you must use something, use paper or something that won't be harmful if swallowed.

Someone recently shared a secret with me to prevent chewing of beds. Spray Arrid Extra Dry around the edge of dog beds, zippers on soft crates or anything else you don't want chewed up. The dogs do not like it, is safe, it smells good and lasts awhile. It works great for us. It has to be the spray kind though.

No pads here. I have a couple who kick them out of the way, so we just don't bother. I had one that tore padding up, so he lost his too.

I use a Kuranda bed, the kind with the PVC legs. I don't use the screw-on legs. It fits inside the crate and my chewer leaves it alone. He's happy and I'm happy that he's not on the bare metal crate pan.
Kathy

My dog loves to unstuff crate beds so I don't put any in the crate. In the summer I don't mind but I am thinking maybe of trying a softie muzzle on her in the winter so she can sleep on a warm crate bed.

WOW!!! Who said Arrid Extra Dry is safe for possible ingestion? Do we eat or posslbly lick those chemicals? NO.........don't think so! And don't forget, their sense of smell is way way stronger than ours. that product has a very strong scent. Don't always believe what you hear!And remember many dogs LOVE to try to lick lotion and deoderant. BAD TIP!!!!

I have crate pads from LLBean. They are very durable and water resistant. The XL size fits perfectly in a 36" crate. If they get dirty or someone has an accident you can just hose them off. If you go on the LLBean site and click on Hunting gear, then dog supplies you'll find them. They're called kennel pads. Mine are about 6-7 years old and still look like new.

I started making my own crate/kennel mats quite a few years ago as my dogs always found the stuffing/padding in the commercially made ones "too interesting". I have one that from the day she came home to us cannot have a mat though... she would have it shredded in seconds, but all the others do good now with the home made mats.

When I make mine, I buy a heavy duck type material for the outer covering from the Wal-Mart remnant bins. They sell the padding on bolts. I sew the padding so it's enclosed in some flannel or heavy cotten, then make the outer cover and then I sew it all together with rows of stitching up and down and crosswise several times. I don't run the padding all the way to the edges... I find the ones that are tempted to chew a bit will start at the edges and when they don't find anythiing interesting, they don't go any further. And since I always have extra material, if I want to patch the edges I have it on hand. Only thing is you have to have a pretty good heavy duty machine to sew and with enough clearance under the pressure foot for the mat.

Not an ad to sell mats here LOL. I do make them for friends as gifts occasionally though who have commented on them and I've donated some to specialty raffles... just wanted to give some ideas for anyone who wants to try and make their own. Takes me about 2 hours to make one.

Carla
WOW!!! Who said Arrid Extra Dry is safe for possible ingestion? Do we eat or posslbly lick those chemicals? NO.........don't think so! And don't forget, their sense of smell is way way stronger than ours. that product has a very strong scent. Don't always believe what you hear!And remember many dogs LOVE to try to lick lotion and deoderant. BAD TIP!!!!

No, we do not ingest them by licking, but we do absorb them into our system via the skin. Of course it wouldn't be safe for them to eat the whole can. However, the amount that is put on by spraying the perimiter of a crate pad is minimal. You would be surprised how many things aren't as harmful as the warning would have you think. I have called poison control for a number of things my children or dogs have gotten into. If it is to be used on our bodies, the response was always, "they will be fine", "no need to go to the ER". Other household chemicals are a different story.

I have not had a single dog of any breed like to lick the Arrid Extra Dry. Something about that particular brand they don't like. They have never been bothered by the smell either. I have only ever had to use 1 application, so the smell does not linger too long. I spray it lightly, then put it in the crate. Of course you would have to do it again after you wash the crate pad. I haven't had to do that though because it broke the habit right away.

I get rubber back bath mats on sale for about five bucks each at Homegoods. They fit ctates well and don't slide around.

Chewers get no pad-my Vet bills are high enough!Non chewers get Crypton crate pads I get from Cherrybrook.They are easy to clean and the dogs seem to like them.

There comes a time between about 5 mos and two years that they do not get a pad. Riding with me to shows, if am always near by is okay. But not to leave them with it. Just a waste of money and taking a chance.

I haven't read the other responses, but in a situation like this, the dog does not get a pad of any kind, period. It's not safe. Crate pads are earned , not given.