Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Really Cracked Nose

I have a young male that has a horribly cracked nose, tried vit e, all spftening creams, even olive oil and cant seem to get better. Any help from anyone that has this happen to one of their kids??? TIA

Re: Really Cracked Nose

Have you tried bag balm(available at tractor supply and other farm stores). Farmers use it on their cows udders, works fantastic on chapped/chaffed skin.

Bag Balm ... and the best thing going to use on cuts, scrapes, etc. on people too! Better than Polysporin.

It's unanimous!Bag Balm-great stuff!

I remember this topic as a littermate to my boy had a cracked and dry nose.

Search for 'cracked nose' and you will find advice from others and specifically look at the response from Continue Vet Care.

Good luck

How old is your boy, and when did this nose condition appear?
There's a very rare, autoimmune disease called nasal hyper parakeratosis. It usually appears in young dogs, first as dryness and flakey skin on the nose. It can also affect footpads.The disease waxes and wanes, so it may appear to be getting better, but it always returns. It can be severe or mild.
It's a chronic condition, and it's genetic. Very often, secondary infections can develop in the nasal area.
If your dog's dry, cracked nose does not respond to the suggested treatments, have him checked by a vet. Biopsy is the only way to confirm the disease.

Concerned
How old is your boy, and when did this nose condition appear?
There's a very rare, autoimmune disease called nasal hyper parakeratosis. It usually appears in young dogs, first as dryness and flakey skin on the nose. It can also affect footpads.The disease waxes and wanes, so it may appear to be getting better, but it always returns. It can be severe or mild.
It's a chronic condition, and it's genetic. Very often, secondary infections can develop in the nasal area.
If your dog's dry, cracked nose does not respond to the suggested treatments, have him checked by a vet. Biopsy is the only way to confirm the disease.
I agree, get it taken care of ASAP, as the Staph bacteria is present in all nasal passages(dogs, humans, everybody's). Your boy is definately at risk to contract a serious infection from the Staph into his bloodstream if you let it go on.

Sounds like Nasal Hyperkeratosis.

There was a limited study done at the University of Montreal, Byran if you will E-mail me, I'll send you a summary of the limited findings. The study had to be discontinued due to the lack of funding.
Generally the symptoms appear around 6-8 months of age. The condition can be fairly mild to severe. There is no cure but as the dog ages, it seems to improve slightly. The best treatment was found to be applications of 67% topical propylene glycol.

Gregg
Sounds like Nasal Hyperkeratosis.

There was a limited study done at the University of Montreal, Byran if you will E-mail me, I'll send you a summary of the limited findings. The study had to be discontinued due to the lack of funding.
Generally the symptoms appear around 6-8 months of age. The condition can be fairly mild to severe. There is no cure but as the dog ages, it seems to improve slightly. The best treatment was found to be applications of 67% topical propylene glycol.

I think it is nasal hyperkeratosis also. It is known to be genetically passed on through specific bitch-dogs & lines. Each parent must be a carrier.

I think the general feeling is that the genetic condition is autosomal dominant inheritance with incomplete penetrance, it only takes one parent.

Gregg
I think the general feeling is that the genetic condition is autosomal dominant inheritance with incomplete penetrance, it only takes one parent.

That's been my experience. My dog's sire has been used a lot. My dog to date is the only one known to have developed the disease.
As for treatment, there are some newer protocols out there. A trip to a veterinary dermatologist is a good idea.