Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
AKC & UKC

Only asking as I am new to the Lab world
I know that my labs have their AKC paperwork....
I recently saw an ad where the dogs had UKC paper not AKC....
Are you supposed to have 2 sets of papers that I am not aware of
& what is the UKC...I assume that is in the United Kingdom???? I am correct?
Can someone help me with this?

Re: AKC & UKC

newbie3

The reputable UKC club is the United Kennel Club and they have been in business almost as long as AKC. UKC events are geared more towards the perfomance end of the dog world and they offer coon hunts, terrier trials, hunting dog trials, obedience, weight pull, etc. They also offer conformation shows, but want to keep the emphasis on the dog, with performance in mind. They have a UKC parent club as well as their own written standard for the Labrador Retriever (with NO disqualifications-LOL). At conformation shows, they are much more informal than AKC shows and there are no professional handlers allowed. The title of UKC Champion is as good as the competition. The more AKC breeders who getting into UKC make the quality go up and the title more difficult to gain. They also offer a UKC Grand Champion title which is even harder to get. UKC is a GREAT alternative to those getting tired of the politics, expense and frustrations of the AKC.

Myself, I've shown both AKC and UKC and have Champions in both clubs. The last dog I titled in the UKC shows has also won BISS (Best In Specialty Show) at an AKC show. He won the coveted California 5 point major for that win and now that he's maturing so well, I hope to get him out to finish his AKC Championship. It was nice to have the UKC shows available to me when he was younger for the great experience for him.

There is also a knock off club called the Universal Kennel Club. That type of club is like the Continental Kennel Club, American Kennel Association, etc that will register anything. They do not offer competitive shows to prove the quality of their stock and therefore do not hold much respectability amongst reputable breeders.

For more information about UKC, please visit www.ukcdogs.com

Dianne Mullikin, EMT-B
Los Angeles, CA

PS The UK Kennel Club is just know as "The Kennel Club".

I smell a rat!

My Labradors are reg. AKC and UKC and I show in both and place well in both. UKC shows and the breeders are so fun and easy going. AKC is AKC. Been there for years. Funny that you found this forum if you know so little about registering a puppy.

well said Dianne, thank you!

We also show in both AKC and UKC and enjoy both registries' events.

We use the UKC shows as training for our up and coming show dogs. In the past, clubs hosted fun matches year round, but now due to expenses and few volunteers most dog clubs will hold a match at their weekend of shows to save money.

We love UKC. Being new, I like the relaxed atmosphere and the smaller number of dogs to compete against. In my area, we have a group of good competitors so the quality of dog is very nice.

While I support their events, I only register my litters through AKC. With the UKC recognizing the AKC and allowing you to register a dog with them quite easily, I would rather maintain all my records at AKC and then I register my keepers with UKC and encourage any of my show pup homes to also consider UKC.

I show in both AKC and UKC. UKC is much more laid back and less competitive than AKC. Its a great place for someone just learning to show, to train young puppies.

breeder
I smell a rat!

you sure are smelling a lot of rats lately
maybe you need an exterminator

Well there seems to be a LOT of 'em around LATELY!
Oh and I don't need an exterminator. I am RAT free thanks!

anon
breeder
I smell a rat!

you sure are smelling a lot of rats lately
maybe you need an exterminator

breeder
I smell a rat!

I show my dogs in both AKC and UKC and they do well in both. In my area all the labradors are also showing in the AKC so the UKC has become very competitive. Like the other poster wrote, I only register my pups with the AKC and if one is placed in a show home the owners can register them in the UKC later. For Labradors they accept a copy of the AKC or CKC registration to register them with the UKC.

The UKC is more relaxed because they do not allow professional handlers. It focuses more on the breeder/owner accomplishing something with their dogs. It is also a great training place for young dogs with the hands on from the judges and being at a show with a lot of activity. You can't find that much activity at your local handling class.

joey

The UKC is more relaxed because they do not allow professional handlers. It focuses more on the breeder/owner accomplishing something with their dogs. It is also a great training place for young dogs with the hands on from the judges and being at a show with a lot of activity. You can't find that much activity at your local handling class.

Joey, just to clarify, professional handlers ARE welcome to show in the UKC, however they can only exhibit dogs the own or co-own.

From the UKC website http://www.ukcdogs.com/WebSite.nsf/Rules/DEConfo**SectionXVRulesapplyingtoexh

I. Prohibition against professional handlers in conformation shows. United Kennel Club events are intended to be family-oriented recreation for owners of UKC Registered dogs. Accordingly, UKC encourages the promotion of the owner/breeder handler and prohibits the use of professional handlers in conformation.

1. Construction of this rule. The prohibition against professional handlers is one of the cornerstones of UKC philosophy. Therefore, this rule is to be construed as broadly as necessary to achieve that goal. Each UKC Official Entry Form includes the following statement that must be signed by the owner/handler of each dog entered at a UKC event: “I swear that this dog is not being handled by a professional handler in conformation.” Dog owners and professional handlers who look for technical ways to circumvent this rule run a grave risk of losing their UKC privileges if caught.

2. Persons allowed to handle dogs in UKC conformation events. The following categories of handlers are allowed:

*a. Owner or co-owner. The owner or coowner of a UKC Registered dog may enter and exhibit his/her own dog in UKC events. In addition, the following immediate family members of an owner or co-owner may enter and exhibit the dog: spouse, parent, step-parent, child, stepchild, brother or sister, provided that they are not a professional handler as defined in paragraph 3 below.

b. Breeder. The breeder of a UKC Registered dog may enter and exhibit that dog in UKC events, even if the breeder is not an owner or coowner of that dog, provided that the breederhandler is not a professional handler as defined in paragraph 3 below. The following immediate family members of a breeder may also enter and exhibit that dog: spouse, parent, step-parent, child, step-child, brother or sister.

c. Designated handler. Any individual who has been given permission to do so by a registered owner or co-owner of a UKC Registered dog may enter and exhibit that dog in UKC events, provided that the designated handler is not a professional handler as defined in paragraph 3 below.

3. Professional Handler. A professional handler is a person who exhibits dogs for compensation. This category includes any person who accepts any pay, gift, or remuneration of any sort in return for exhibiting a dog.

a. Remuneration. Remuneration includes, but is not limited to:

i. Payment for exhibiting a dog in a UKC licensed event;

ii. Reimbursement for lodging, mileage, travel, meals, other travel expenses, or any other expenses incurred at or traveling to or from a UKC licensed event.

iii. Payment of entry fees by another exhibitor for dogs owned by the professional handler in return for handling services.

b. Factors that may be considered in determining whether a handler is a professional. An individual may be a professional handler regardless of whether or not handling dogs is his/her primary source of income. Among the factors that may be considered in determining whether a handler is a professional handler are:

i. Business cards indicating that the person in question is a professional handler;

ii. Advertising professional handling services on a vehicle, in a publication, or in any other dog-related venue;

iii. Offering professional handling services through a training facility;

iv. Acting as a professional handler at events offered by other organizations;

v. Exhibiting multiple dogs, particularly those that the handler neither owns nor co-owns;

vi. Exhibiting multiple breeds of dogs, particularly those that the handler neither owns nor co-owns.

newbie2

While I support their events, I only register my litters through AKC. With the UKC recognizing the AKC and allowing you to register a dog with them quite easily, I would rather maintain all my records at AKC and then I register my keepers with UKC and encourage any of my show pup homes to also consider UKC.

Registering entire litters in UKC is much less expensive in UKC than AKC if both sire and dam have UKC registration. Registering as a UKC litter is also quite a bit less expensive than registering each individual dog.

However, UKC does allow folks to get a temporary registration number (TLN) for a particular show. It's an expensive way to register a dog with UKC temporarily but can later be made an official registration so that the wins of the dog can be official. A TLN is quick and easy to get.

Also cool is that UKC has same day entry for shows. You can pre-enter for a discounted entry fee (usually $18-20) or pay a day-of-show fee of about $25. The TLN even allows you to enter a dog not yet registered with UKC on the day of the show.

A previous poster stated that there are not disqualifications in the UKC breed standard. This is not true. The only difference in disqualifications between the AKC and UKC standard is the height requirement. The UKC standard views height as a fault.

Disqualifications

Unilateral or bilateral cryptorchid. Viciousness or extreme shyness. Aggressiveness toward humans or other dogs. Nose completely unpigmented. Absence of pigmentation in eye rims. Tail docked. Alteration of the natural length or carriage of the tail. Dogs with docked or altered tails resulting from injuries in the field shall be eligible for registration and performance events but ineligible for conformation events.

Any color or combination of colors other than described in the "Color" paragraph above.

AKC & UKC

Thanks for all the good information, I did not know about UKC .... I will look up the website for more information....

Also, why would you smell a rat????? I only asked a question.... I really did not know about UKC.

Glad to hear that you are interested in UKC. Some additional facts that you might not notice in the UKC website:

There is quite a nice Labrador club called United Labrador Retriever Association, which sponsors Labrador Specialties--in NC, VA, NJ, and MI.
You can find information about the upcoming NJ Specialty on the club website www.ulra.org Members of this club are hugely supportive of one another and vote each year to confer a trophy to a member who has exhibited the best sportsmanship in the previous year.

Each breed in UKC can compete for yearly Top 10 national conformation breed ranking by winning BOB throughout the year. In June at the UKC Premier show in MI a special competition among those dogs ranked in the previous year's Top 10 occurs. (Premier is a several day all-breed and multi-competition show to highlight top UKC dogs).

UKC is now offering Rally competition as well as standard obedience and some interesting and fun competitions that AKC does not--for example, weight pulling and dock diving.

UKC all-breed shows frequently offer opportunities to be honored in Total Dog competitions for dogs who have competed in more than one type of venue (e.g., weight pulling and conformation). UKC emphasizes producing dogs who can excel in more than one type of competition.

whoops, sorry. The ulra website is www.ulra.net.

and here's a link to the upcoming Specialty in NJ

http://www.ulra.net/Contents/event.htm

I was just reading this thread and the UKC sounds like it has so many great things to offer. I think I will like to check into it too. Thanks for all the info.

The AKC has just as many, and more, great things to offer!!
It is first and foremost, the most respected registry in the US. The events are well run, well planned, clean, they play by the rules and are classy
They have much more to offer than the UKC due to funding alone.
The AKC offers a wonderful array of sactioned clubs, both AB and Specialty. They offer products, pet health insurance, micro chipping programs, endless educational material including seminars for the new exhibitor at most shows.
Show sites are well run, complete with huge tents for crating and ringside. Judges are well qualified and superintendants are on the ball!
AKC titles are respected by every other country in the world.
I enjoy showing AKC so much and I can always look forward to great time!!

Newbie 2
I was just reading this thread and the UKC sounds like it has so many great things to offer. I think I will like to check into it too. Thanks for all the info.

The OP asked about the UKC and what it was about, so information was provided. No one is bashing any registries here, many admit they register their litters with only the AKC and exhibit in both... so PLEASE do not turn this thread ugly by making it a P*ssing contest. My husband and I support and enjoy exhibiting in the AKC, UKC and CKC and all registries have their perks and downfalls... no one person or no organization is perfect.

If anyone would like more information regarding the United Labrador Retriever Association Specialty and supported entries July 10 - 12 in Millville New Jersey, please feel free to contact me via email and I will forward you our electronic premium listing.

akc
The AKC has just as many, and more, great things to offer!!
It is first and foremost, the most respected registry in the US. The events are well run, well planned, clean, they play by the rules and are classy
They have much more to offer than the UKC due to funding alone.
The AKC offers a wonderful array of sactioned clubs, both AB and Specialty. They offer products, pet health insurance, micro chipping programs, endless educational material including seminars for the new exhibitor at most shows.
Show sites are well run, complete with huge tents for crating and ringside. Judges are well qualified and superintendants are on the ball!
AKC titles are respected by every other country in the world.
I enjoy showing AKC so much and I can always look forward to great time!!

Newbie 2

AKC certainly offers many fine competitive venues for many breeds--but not all breeds and not all venues. In
fact, for many breeds UKC is the most respected registry in the world and offers competitions not offered by AKC.

That is called maintaining the integrity of a registering body.
There are multiple criterea that must be met in order to be recognized by AKC.
Those that are not, don't. Simple.

UKC registration
AKC certainly offers many fine competitive venues for many breeds--but not all breeds and not all venues. In
fact, for many breeds UKC is the most respected registry in the world and offers competitions not offered by AKC.

It is wonderful when folks want to participate and do fun things with their dog in any venue...after all that is what it is all about...having a good time with our family members. I partake in both venues and find them both exciting and challenging at times. Kudos to everyone who is enjoying the ring in any venue!!!

brdr
That is called maintaining the integrity of a registering body.
There are multiple criterea that must be met in order to be recognized by AKC.
Those that are not, don't. Simple.

Your attitude, poor command of the English language,
and lack of understanding about the criteria set for
UKC venues and breeds are not good advertisements for
AKC.

AKC & UKC

newbie3

Thank you everyone for all the wonderful information! I am the OP ... Everyone was very helpful! I appreciate finding out that the UKC is not in the United Kingdom! Duh!!!!!!!
Everyone have a wonderful July 4th weekend!

Glad to help. I hope you consider registering with UKC or at least attending a show. The atmosphere is quite wonderfully supportive and fun. Sort of like a county fair.

I forgot to mention that most of the time UKC offers two shows a day and some offer another show on Friday evening. So it is possible to enter five shows in a weekend, and some clubs offer a special discount for pre-entering five shows. For example, I recently paid $75 to enter a dog in five shows in a weekend.

You do need to be prepared to spend the day at the show site, but spending a day is a wonderful opportunity to get to know your fellow exhibitors on a more personal basis. You can also get to see some truly rare breeds that you will not see anywhere else. Very educational. I've really enjoyed the conversations I have had with other breeders at UKC shows.

Oh, and another thing, UKC judges are quite willing to give verbal feedback about their choices and about your dog if you ask.