Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Life on Spring Dell Farm...

Life on Spring Dell Farm has been a wonderful experience … For the most part! There are many simple things that take your breath away…

As I walk down our long driveway to get the mail and look out at what used to be the corn field, I notice a patch of beautiful purple flowers glistening in the sunshine. The butterflies majestically sail around each flower stopping on occasion to rest or take in the orange-yellow pollen. Upon my return from the mailbox, the sun is shining down on the pond. The reflection of the trees on the surface is spectacular. The brown from the bark and the green from the leaves paints a picture that belongs on a canvas. I can only imagine what the Fall will bring and the display of colors we are in store for.

Are routines are becoming more concrete as each day passes. The dogs are becoming much easier to get done even though we lack the appropriate water spickets to get the job done. It’s is definitely time to call the plumber and get at least 2 added to the house. One just isn’t enough! Once installed I know life will get so much easier as carrying jugs from the mud room to the interim kennel set up is getting tiring. Thank goodness for Arizona Tea jugs!

We definitely have an array of critters living on the farm with us – some charming… some not! We enjoy seeing the occasional chipmunk and squirrel. And don’t really mind the bats that drop out of the eaves at dusk to take flight for their dinner. We are still, however, trying to determine the critter that crossed our path as we drove down the driveway two days ago – beaver or hedgehog. Of course, we are hoping for the latter. However, it is the unwanted guest that arrived for dinner and drinks two nights ago that we were not thrilled about.

As I was rotating the dogs into the current dog paddock, I heard the puppies in the old corn barn let out a pretty good yelp. It was not a puppy play cry so I became concerned and immediately headed for the back door of the barn. To my surprise I saw a not so nice masked critter digging in their water bucket through the puppy run, which is currently 3 x-pens joined together.

As my puppies were bolting for the dogloo in the back of the pen, I made my first attempt to shoo him away. Unfortunately, my verbal tactics did not work on him. I, immediately, yelled for Kim who was at the back of the house by the pool with the girls. Upon my bellowing, all three ran to see what the commotion was.

In the meantime, however, I picked up a dog toy and hurled it at our unwanted visitor. I was shocked when the little b*stard growled and hissed at me! The nerve! With the help from Kim, we finally got him out of what we now call the puppy barn. Unfortunately, he went right over to the backdoor of the house and took up roost in between the air conditioning units and the house wall.

With weapons in hand, a rake and broom, we attempted to get him to exit our living quarters. He, unfortunately, had other ideas and made it perfectly clear when he smacked the rake and started growling and hissing at me again. At this point, I decided to hide behind Kim’s skirt as I was totally freaked out! Just kidding! I was freaked out though – Big Time!

Kim and I made several attempts to get him out with no luck. During this time, the girls were able to collect the puppies and get them into the puppy room in the basement of the house. Whew!!

Kim and I decided to step back and see what he would do. He tired of his current spot and decided to walk right to the main door of the house instead of left for a perfect exit. Wrong direction dude!

He really enjoyed the main house porch; especially the Labrador welcome mat placed in front of it. He was a bit tired and laid down looking at us. Kim and I looked at each other in disbelief! We believe he felt “we” were the intruders given he must have had the run of our vacant farm for the last 2 years. He didn’t stay on the porch for very long and continued walking down the outside of the house, finally ending up at the dog paddock.

The 4 Labradors that were out for their fun were not impressed with the masked little bandit. He, on the other hand, seemed not to care about them and climbed the tree to observe them. Being the brave one, Kim opened the milk house to let the dogs out of their run so that we could get them to safety in the kennels in the garage. Gaining this small victory, we again tried to get him to leave. He just wasn’t up to our request. He departed the tree and walked over to the water buckets on the opposite side of the cyclone fence. Realizing he could not get to them, he scaled the fence like Spiderman. I decided to make one more attempt with his forced departure and tried spraying him with water from the barn hose. He was not amused and once again responded with growling and hissing.

I believe his irritation got the best of him and he walked over the cyclone fence on the opposite side of the dog yard. Kim and I were relieved and definitely more at ease. Minutes after his departure, we heard a blood-curdling scream in the back 18 acres. It was so bad, Kim covered her ears. About 10 minutes later the screaming stopped.

We figured something got that little bandit, now named Rocky Raccoon by a friend in the North, or definitely set him straight. We hoped anyway!

Re: Life on Spring Dell Farm...

You may want to invest in a Have a Heart trap or two! This website may come in handy over the years to come. http://www.wildlife-traps.com/?gclid=CM3JxpvitJsCFdVL5QoddAgOPA

Keep in mind that raccoons besides having an attitude, are often vectors of rabies and other nasty diseases. Welcome to country living and I can't wait to hear the story when the beach kitties come to visit!

I'd be a bit more worried about what got the lil guy after you ran him off of his safe place.

Until you make it clear that the farm is re inhabited you will need to be careful of such visits.

Sounds like you are enjoying the country life so far :O)

If Rocky Racoon returns, you may want to call the game warden. He might trap him for you. They can be very dangerous critters.

After thinking for a bit on your story, I wonder if you don't have a resident fisher. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fisher_(animal) The scream they make is bloodcurdling and it may have been what you saw crossing your driveway.

Michael, was this in the daytime? I would be very concerned about that behavior. Do you have a gun? If he comes back, shoot him. It is very likely that he was rabid, or had distemper. That kind of behavior in daylight is not normal for a raccoon. I absolutely hate raccoons. Make sure your kids know to get in the house if any raccoon shows up exhibiting those behaviors. And, make sure your dogs are up to date on their rabies vaccines.

Absolutely agree with the last post. NJ has had quite a bit of rabid racoons. Daylight sightings of racoons not a good thing, be careful!

I don't know what the age of the puppies are that you initially heard the yelp from, but the pup that yelped my be in danger if he was bitten, and has not yet been vaccinated for rabies.

Nobody was bitten... Everyone is just fine!

I think they were scared more than anything. The raccoon could not get through the mesh on the puppy pen.

It is now double gated and am in the process of ordering a new covered 8 x 10 6 puppy run that is bullet proof! I am also in the market for a gun! Any suggestions?

Michael - if you have a fisher, be very careful - they are really vicious critters.

Not a Fisher... Looks nothing like the picture! Whew!

You may have a muskrat. They can ruin your pond punching holes in it's side. Before we moved we had a family of them move onto our pond. In a matter of months the sides of the dike were soft and had holes in it.
A weekend of target practice took care of them.

I would worry about rabies w/ the raccoon.

Yep - get a .22 rifle and start practicing. A raccoon on the loose is not a good thing. We practice the 3 S's here - shoot, shovel, shut up.

Michael Silva
Nobody was bitten... Everyone is just fine!

I think they were scared more than anything. The raccoon could not get through the mesh on the puppy pen.

It is now double gated and am in the process of ordering a new covered 8 x 10 6 puppy run that is bullet proof! I am also in the market for a gun! Any suggestions?

A 22 rifle with a scope is all you need. We also carry and handgun (in which case I prefer a revolver over a semi auto) in the woods because of porcupines, raccoons, beach kitties, fox, and coyotes, all can carry rabies. My friend ran into a fisher in the woods that she had to beat off her dogs with a tree branch. She also had a raccoon attack her car tire that she beat to death with a shovel. She decided to get over her fear of guns after the raccoon incident. Take a hunter safety course with your family. Welcome to the life of a gentleman farmer!

Yes, racoons and possum can be very mean to you or the dogs. I would be afraid of rabies also. They can be cute but not good around the dogs or kids. Thats not good that he didn't just run away when he saw you. Be safe.

What are beach kitties?

I had a racoon appear on my back porch on a Sunday afternoon. I called the police and the very young officer took out a shotgun and killed it. They don't mess around with potentially rabid racoons.

Watch out for the bats and they are the worst. They like to sleep in the closed umbrellas at the pool. Very creepy! So open the umbrella slowly and check it out. This happens about 5 or 6 times each summer. I have to poke the umbrella with a broom to get the bat to fly off into the woods. Twice bats have gotten inside my neighbor's house.

Also gross--- the critters you find swimming/floating in the pool or skimmer.

What is a beach kitty? I have lived in NJ forever and have no idea.

Watch it guys! You are going to scare Michael back to California.

I would suggeat a 20 gauge shotgun and bird shot, in case you aren't a very good shot. You have a better chance with the birdshot than a single projectile from a 22.

I say 20 gauge instead of 12 gauge, cause you are a little on the smaller side and a 12 gauge would knock you on your butt.

Also, there is a new snap test for rabies, now and you know the results in minutes.

Have you seen any snakes yet?

Not normal

I agree, it is not normal for a raccon to be out during the day, they are strictly nocturnal creatures. I have had run ins at two seperate times with racoons in my yard during the day, we had to get animal control to take them away, they said they probably had distemper.

Re: Not normal

See if you can't find a number for your nearest Extension Office. Those folks know the latest on the wild community and should be able to tell you what is going on. When I lived in Massachusetts in 1969, the raccoons had some sort of disease. They were wandering around in the daytime, but were really of no danger to people or pets. We were simply instructed to leave them alone.

I agree Michael. Raccoons are dangerous. Get a gun!

Michael, the raccoon doesn't have to bite you but if he gets saliva on you or the puppies it could be trouble. You will have to have your puppies vaccinated for rabies by 13 weeks old. That's why I have a top on my puppy run.

Michael Silva
What are beach kitties?

I was wondering too, visions of furry kittens in bikinis came to mind

Not normal

Did I miss it... What is a beach kittie?

I'd like to know what a beach kittie is too! The only ones I ever heard of were at the Jersey Shore!

Michael Silva
What are beach kitties?

Anyone that does night time beach fishing will tell you that a beach kitty is a SKUNK

Pepe Le Pew!

I had a raccoon plop down on my stairs leading into the house during the day, and he proceeded to stay there. I called my neighbor who is a sheriff's deputy, and he shot it then took it in for testing. It had a disease that raccoons can get which effects their equilibrium similar to an inner ear infection in humans. The critter hissed at me when I yelled at it from behind the safety of my door. This disease can make it act the same as if it has rabies.
I've never heard of a beach kittie either.

What is a "beach kitty"???

Call me a slow Canuck...

Have a heart
Michael Silva
What are beach kitties?

Anyone that does night time beach fishing will tell you that a beach kitty is a SKUNK

LOL vision changes to skunks in speedos!

Beach kitties, pole cats, aaaaah...the memories!

About 30 years ago, before we had our property fenced in, our first lab, Buzz was out in the field behind the house hunting field mice and snakes (non-poisonous here in Ohio). A tremendous commotion broke out and we began running towards the field to see what was causing it. We couldn't see a thing as the weeds were so high until we saw something go airborn! On the object's second "flight" we noticed the white stripe down the back...yup, ole Buzz had himself a "beach kittie"...proceeded to toss it high in the air several more times before he decided he'd "won"! Needless to say, Buzz slept outside in his run for several nights, and had to endure several tomato juice baths!

Country living...gotta love it!

Gail R

I would suggeat a 20 gauge shotgun and bird shot, in case you aren't a very good shot. You have a better chance with the birdshot than a single projectile from a 22.

I suggested the 22 over the shotgun because you don't need to be as close to do the job. When it comes to rabid animals the more distance between you and your target the better. A nice 22 with a scope is deadly with no kick at all.

Unless you are really close, all a shotgun is going to do is maim the poor thing (think Dick Cheney), and if you are close you are going to make a bloody mess and still maybe not kill it.

We also keep a .22 rifle in the garage, loaded and ready to go, for just such an occasion - and I've used it, along with hubby. Both kids (14 and 17) also know how to use it, though have just used it for target practice. When you have animals, you just can't take the chance with a dangerous animal harming them.

Replying to:

"Anyone that does night time beach fishing will tell you that a beach kitty is a SKUNK"

They are also called "woods pussies".

All of the people I know in Hunterdon have shotguns or rifles.....at least it was not a skunk

Screech owl?

Having lived in the country almost all of my life, I agree with the cautions about raccoons,'possums, AND skunks. All can be very nasty when they perceive threat, and are common carriers of rabies.

The sound you heard could very well have been a screech owl. Their cries are God awful! I was a young teen living on a gun club/hunting grounds my father managed in Bucks County. One night he went out to feed the pheasants (raised for organized hunting on the grounds by members). He came rushing into the house scared to death. He said he heard a "women screaming like she was being murdered." We heard it, and it did sound bone chilling. I was scared to death until we figured out what it was! Country critters can be fascinating and spooky!

Screech owl sound:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2305758389332407100

Michael
I have a 12gauge Ruger over and under for sale :-)
You should also have at least a 22 rifle also.
Could the beaver, hedgehog creature have been a ground hog?
Bridget

Re: Screech owl?

People are right in saying that most raccoons are rabid. They are also very territorial and protect their young.And they also LOVE the garbage. We have shot and killed every raccoon in our woods, and all is a much safer place to live! We have shot them from trees and killed them. Sounds awful I know, but every time you pick up the paper you read about a person who called animal control about a raccoon getting in a fight with their dogs,the raccoon has tested positive for rabies. Then we laugh, because the people end up getting a 75$ ticket for not having their dogs licensed!!!
That coon will be washing it's food at your pond!
Oh and by the way it wasn't a hedgehog, more like a groundhog, like Pauxetauny ???
That the dogs will have fun with!!

Re

If you really want to give yourself the eebee geebies
google larva migrans "raccoon"!

Re: Screech owl?

Mary Ann Hart
Having lived in the country almost all of my life, I agree with the cautions about raccoons,'possums, AND skunks. All can be very nasty when they perceive threat, and are common carriers of rabies.

Actually opossums are NOT common carries of rabies due to their lowered body temperatures making them more resistant to the disease. Here is what one website states: "Unlike most wild animals, opossums are highly resistant to rabies. It is extremely rare to encounter a rabid opossum, though if bitten or scratched by one, it is nevertheless advisable to see a physician immediately. Any opossum that would behave in such an uncharacteristic fashion must be assumed to be rabid."

I've lived with them in my backyard for years. In fact when they get into my shed, the dogs go nuts, knowing they've "treed" an opossum! I can always tell when there is one in there! LOL

If a racoon is out visiting and hissing at you during the day, he is probably rabid.
We are in suburban East Coast. There has been 3 rabies bites right here in the neighborhood these past 4 months. Be careful, do not leave pups unattended outside.

Possums on the grounds

We sometimes have possums come across the property, but when my lab cornered one, it didn't play possum. It was up on it's hind legs, showing its teeth and hissing at him. Sorry but I could do without them, rabid or otherwise.

Glad to hear that you and your entire family are settling in well at your new home.

In addition to raccoons, and their forest brethren being vectors of disease, you also need to be sure that the dogs don't get into any of their scat, which can cause severe illness.

Racoons frequently do exactly what he described in NJ.
They are not rabid unless they look sickly or their gate is awkward and they appear confused.
This poor little guy sounds like he knew exactly what he was doing and you invaded his space.
I would go with the trap, not KILL him!
This is the country people!! These wild animals have every right to live just as we do!

Breeder
Michael, was this in the daytime? I would be very concerned about that behavior. Do you have a gun? If he comes back, shoot him. It is very likely that he was rabid, or had distemper. That kind of behavior in daylight is not normal for a raccoon. I absolutely hate raccoons. Make sure your kids know to get in the house if any raccoon shows up exhibiting those behaviors. And, make sure your dogs are up to date on their rabies vaccines.

Don't start playing with the racoons Michael:) LOL LOL
As many have mentioned, they carry desease and a full grown racoon can kill a dog. Set the traps or give Kim some firepower.
Also those horrendous screeches that you are hearing may be foxes, or a fox killing it's prey (like a rabbit) We have a lot around here, and once you hear them you never forget their awful screams.

lablover

Watch out for the bats and they are the worst. They like to sleep in the closed umbrellas at the pool. Very creepy! So open the umbrella slowly and check it out. This happens about 5 or 6 times each summer. I have to poke the umbrella with a broom to get the bat to fly off into the woods. Twice bats have gotten inside my neighbor's house.

I grew up in an old farm house with an attached barn. Occasionally one would get into the house. We would whomp it with a broom to stun it, scoop it up and put it back outside. One night I got home late from work, poured myself a glass of scotch and settled into a hot bath. I stretched out, took a sip, and looked up. Above the tub, hanging from an old hand hewn beam was a bat. I was out of the tub in record time, took just a second to grab my glass, and slammed the bathroom door shut on my way out. I left the bat to enjoy my bath!

Geesh, after hearing all these stories on what nasty critters you all have there in the mainland i'm glad to live in Hawaii where we don't have any of those mean things, and here they all look so cute on TV!
Aloha,
Jackie

Jackie, Black Sands
Geesh, after hearing all these stories on what nasty critters you all have there in the mainland i'm glad to live in Hawaii where we don't have any of those mean things, and here they all look so cute on TV!
Aloha,
Jackie

Come visit N.J. Jackie. You would be amazed in the beauty of the 48 states of the U.S.A but where Michael is, well you have to see the type of farm he and his family have. That's a multi-million $ farm. Can you imagine over 20 acres of your own land even with Rocky Raccoon?

If you don't want to fly, take a ship. Ooo, and bring a couple of your dogs for a top specialty like Mid-Jersey. You'll enjoy it and most of us would take you into our homes, feed you well and show you the beauty in the N.E.

I wouldn't knock Hawaii until I get to see it someday. There's good & bad everywhere. Right now I'm enjoying visiting as many Carribean Islands as possible. When done, we'll be in Hawaii.

Michael....Heidi is right. A rabbit being killed sounds like a baby screaming...its a AWFUL sound. And one you won`t forget.
T

Yes, we have some interesting wildlife around here in NJ. I can't wait to hear about Michael's first meeting with a wild turkey LOL In mating season the males are very aggressive, often they will physicallly try to intimidate people and dogs. And they can get quite large. I've seen tops of male turkey's heads that are higher than my waist and I am 5'6". My dogs and I have been chased by them on several occassions.
Michael, DO NOT PLAY WITH THE TURKEYS! they've got hug, sharp nails on the end of their feet and they use them. They can do a lot of harm to a person and a dog.
But we are fortunate to live in a really beautiful part of the state. Lots of rolling hills, large horse farms, undeveloped land and lots of woods.

Cripes - I'm glad I moved West to Colorado in 1978 from the Joisey Shore - the only things I now worry about are coyotes on my front porch! Never spent that much time in NW NJ, just the Shore, and SW NJtowards Philadelphia where I went to college.

I remember possums, muskrats in the lagoon behind our home, and large snapping turtles, skunks, owls, lots of morning doves, osprey, and some small deer, and oh, the pine snakes.

Been to NJ 28 years ago and yes it is beautiful, in fact I stayed in PA for 3 months while my husband was working at the shipyard there for that time period and got to see NY too. I think i'd be so paranoid about one of my dogs getting bit by one of those critters you all have there lol... even here they come in at night to sleep as i'm afraid a centipede or scorpion might bite them in the night and I won't know about it if they're outside lol.... can't do a boat either as I get sea sick and after my last trip to the mainland I swore that was the last time as i'm so paranoid on that damm plane... interesting that my son moved to LV last Oct and he's been bugging me to come and visit him but I told him he's got to come home to visit as I won't fly in the plane again. You all need to come here and stay with me and i'll feed you good food, and you can get your dogs quarantine ready too so they don't have to do any time there and come for our Specialty and Sporting Dog show in January where the weekend before that there are also 2 shows for a total of 4 shows, who knows you may put a major or two on a dog you need it for :}
Aloha,
Jackie

Visit
Jackie, Black Sands
Aloha,
Jackie

Come visit N.J. Jackie. You would be amazed in the beauty of the 48 states of the U.S.A but where Michael is, well you have to see the type of farm he and his family have. That's a multi-million $ farm. Can you imagine over 20 acres of your own land even with Rocky Raccoon?

If you don't want to fly, take a ship. Ooo, and bring a couple of your dogs for a top specialty like Mid-Jersey. You'll enjoy it and most of us would take you into our homes, feed you well and show you the beauty in the N.E.

I wouldn't knock Hawaii until I get to see it someday. There's good & bad everywhere. Right now I'm enjoying visiting as many Carribean Islands as possible. When done, we'll be in Hawaii.

I also have Imu's. My neighbor raises all different types of birds. English Parrotts, exotic or strange looking roosters and hens; sometimes turkeys and guinea hens. He also has two full grown Imu's. They look like giant turkeys!

Heck, we have raised racoons, squirrels, rabbits, birds. I have a muscrat in my back yard and a family of black mink. Use to have a night herron. I love all the wild life.

While seeing a coon in daylight is a concern (rabid possibly) most will run the other way at night with dogs around.

I was out in the back yard one night with my girl and her 2 pups(pups on leash) and my girl when flying accross the lawn growling after a coon. It made a bee line for the nearest tree and up it went.

The pups heard their moms warning, both slipped their collars and ran in the house and dove under the couch.

It was definately a scary moment but the coon turned tail and never tried to attack. It also never came back.

Sounds like quite an adventure on your new farm. Its a beautiful place. Wishing you all the best and for less fearful adventures :-)